NC GAME DAY II (Aug 23): Man, was that fun or what?!

Quasqueton

First Post
Thanks to Shemeska for running his Planescape game.

Thanks to David and Dori for introducing me to Settlers of Catan. (I won the first game I ever played -- I am l33t!)

Half the fun of the Game Day (for me) is walking around and watching the games in progress. Seeing how DMs run the game, seeing how the Players play the game, etc.

And thanks to whoever brought the Gamers movie -- that was hilarious.

Sorry I didn't take my camera, but it was being used at a birthday party.

Here's a challenge:

What was the funniest situation or role-played line in a Game Day game?

What was the most unique situation?

What other occurances from a game do you want to point out to the masses at ENWorld?

What lines or description did you overhear at a game you weren't playing in?

For this last one, there was a "chanting poop hole" in Rel's Orc game. Sounded like a cross between South Park and H.P. Lovecraft.

Quasqueton

Lola

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Here's a challenge:

Erm, that would be in the morning Orcz! game, where the goblins who were harvesting mushrooms out of the poo in the basement of the Orc dungeon quit singing their "poo collecting song" and had to be 'enticed' into singing as not to arouse suspicion. But not before one goblin yelled "Orczes!" and got the response "I know I'se orcsez! Youse goblinzes, an' that's why youze in the gung hole!"

That would be the Against All Ooze game where an invisible gelatinous cube was killed with a pair of trees planted in it. The visual on that freaks me out. Especially as we had a Playdoh model of the cube.

What other occurances from a game do you want to point out to the masses at ENWorld?

The loud and constant laughter from all the tables!

There were a lot of "Save us Jeebus!" and one loud "If you BELIEVE in the POWER of JEEBUS!" from the Down n' Dirty on the Farm table... that's one game I hope I could possibly get in on one day. They had me at "Zombie chickens!"

All in all, I had a fun, fun time. There were times when I laughed so hard, I cried. I ate a lot of bagels. "The Gamers" is a funny movie, and I think the experience was somehow improved by watching it with a group of gamers. I look forward to doing it again!

Also, the people I met were fantastic. All the guys I played with were funny, and fun to play with. Some of the others were great to talk to and wonderful dinner companions. Kudos to all the DMs, and a special round of applause to Rel and NCSUCodeMonkey for setting this up.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Quasqueton said:
Here's a challenge:

I can't speak for the event as a whole as I only had a really good handle on what was going on at my table (sometimes not even then). But I'd probably have to say it was the fact that in not one, but both sessions, I wound up with three of the five party members lying at the bottom of a 20 foot deep pit that could easily have been climbed into by most of them taking 10 on the roll.

I must also say that the looks on their faces when I had the main bad guy whip out his "Daern's Instant Outhouse" was priceless as were the countless, severe beatings they underwent with "the club of healing". :D

Given that the other games included a Planescape game, a game called "Down and Dirty on the Farm", another called "Against All Ooze" and Henry's Mutants and Masterminds game, my Orcz game seemed downright conventional. But I did my best to keep it interesting and I'd like to think that the Orcish Ranger/Bard who sang his "Inspire Courage" song to the tune of Monty Python's "Lumberjack Song" was fairly unique. Maybe the Goblin Gong Farmers too.

I guess that I'd just like to say that it was very evident from the events that took place outside the actual games themselves (the dinner on Friday night at Applebees and the Post-Game-Day wind up at Rock-Ola Cafe) that these folks are not just fun gamers but genuinely friendly and interesting people who I immensely enjoyed hanging out with.

I didn't hear as many this time as I did last time, probably because I DM'ed the whole time and was trying to be more focused on what was taking place at my table. But during one pause, I couldn't help but overhear Lola holler out (from CodeMonkey's Against All Ooze game), "Well, I'm blind and nauseated so I'll just head down the hallway."

For this last one, there was a "chanting poop hole" in Rel's Orc game. Sounded like a cross between South Park and H.P. Lovecraft.

The more I think about it, the more the South Park/Lovecraft parallel seems spot on for my Orcz game. Scary.

Once again I'd just like to extend my thanks to all the folks who attended and helped make this such a fun event. And an easy one too. As the would-be coordinator, I honestly felt like I didn't really have to do much of anything. I suppose if you folks are going to keep making this job so easy, I'll keep planning the NC Game Days. ;)

Last edited:

Clueless

Webmonkey
Quasqueton said:

Quasqueton

When asked "What do you believe in?" by what we didn't know at the time was a baernaloth...

"Ale and Whores!" - Horace

Suffice to say there were a number of quotes that just about killed us in the Planescape game, that's just the one I remember best. The line delivery was hilarious. :) Shemeska got started a tad late, and twas her (RL his!) first time running a one shot - so all seemed to go quite well. :) I enjoyed it, and yes - for those of you who might be wondering, his Sunday game felt the Cage-quake that was indirectly our fault. Now we've got a touch of trouble to deal with... *wry grin*

As for the game day as a whole - I met a whole *bunch* of new folks, and you're all wonderful! I think we must have spent hours at Applebee's and Rock-ola talking, about life, gaming, game stories, books, and various sundry other things. Truly wonderful experience, and one I'd like to be in again. :)

Thank you all for coming, running, chattering and otherwise being around. :)

Last edited:

Lola

First Post
Originally posted by Rel
But during one pause, I couldn't help but overhear Lola holler out (from CodeMonkey's Against All Ooze game), "Well, I'm blind and nauseated so I'll just head down the hallway."

To put that in context... I was running like hell with one hand on the wall, abandoning the guy stuck in the gelatinous cube that had been right in front of me when I could still see.

Speaking of which.... "I throw my trail rations down the hall!" "Um... ok. They fall on the floor here" later on.... "but you said they hit the floor" "They did, but the illusion..." "Man, they're right next to your head, dissolving! Turn your head to the left and you'll see them!"

Shemeska

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
Thanks to Shemeska for running his Planescape game.

You're certainly welcome! I had a blast running it, despite being the first one shot I'd ever run. For time constraints I ended up chopping out about a quarter of the possible material, so those of you in the game missed out on the cranium rat hives, the 2nd and 3rd Great Minds; also missed out on some warring groups of renegade Tanar'ri and Baatezu Blood War deserters in UnderSigil.

In any case, as Clueless said, the events of the game will come back to haunt my regular Sunday group since the events will be considered canon for that game. *CACKLE*

Here's a challenge:

After Horace met up with the Baern and suffered a touch and point of permenant strength drain for the 'Ale and whores!' comment, without blinking he nailed the fiend with his waraxe. The Baern looked sorely unimpressed, and uninjured, and sent him back with the group after with a second touch reopening every would from the day he'd suffered. So back with the group, bloody and injured, he got asked what happened to him and if he was ok. His response? "I'll be fine, but that other guy? I f***ed him up!"

Having a member of the Athar in a party with a cleric of Lathander. Frequent occurences of 'Send the Cleric in first!' and rants about the 'so called gods' almost had me falling over laughing.

Also when one of the NPC's in the game tossed a fireball at an enemy psion when a mind blast by a psionic ghast had stunned over half the party. He knew he'd hit the dwarven rogue as well, but the rogue was quick and had evasion... A failed save and 25pts on damage later the dwarf was havign serious questions about attacking the friendly NPC Aasimar or going for the undead psionicist. *chuckle*

I had a seriously wonderful time meeting everyone at the game day, both for running for them, and for just chatting with folks over dinner and randomly during the day, especially Rel and Henry. You guys rock seriously.

And on Friday night, Lola I apologize on behalf of everyone else for making you wait in the Applebees lobby for about 10-15 minutes before getting up to go see if you were with our group. *chuckle* We had a debate ongoing if you or anyone else waiting down there was in our group, and if so, who was going to have the guts to go down there and ask. :p

Clueless

Webmonkey
Shemeska said:

Having a member of the Athar in a party with a cleric of Lathander. Frequent occurences of 'Send the Cleric in first!' and rants about the 'so called gods' almost had me falling over laughing.

My first response was: "Sure, sounds like a good idea..." which trailed off as I looked over the table, eyes widened a little and I realized just *who* was saying it. Bad Athar, bad! Trying to get the cleric killed! :)

Hand of Vecna

First Post
The entire "Down & Dirty on the Farm" game just weren't right....

SAVE ME, JEEBUS!!!

And, of course, the drunken Father McAllister was the only one to get away from that nastiness, riding off on a pig/boar into the sunset....

Henry's M&M game was great, too. Especially Mr. Book's "Nudity Grenades," and later his viewing of The Lion (via X-Ray Goggles).

"Are you alright, man?"
"MY EYES!!!!!!"

Lola

First Post
More Orcz!

Honka Thonka (NCSUCodeMonkey) : "You must accept the love of Gruumsh! Don't resist the love! Now quit flinching and hold still!" *whack*

later....

Honka: *Yanks javelin out of Gronka's side* "First you miss, now you get in way!"

Gronka (Jon Potter): "Ow! *deadpans* I feel the love...."

Remove ads