• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Necro] Grimtooth's Traps is HERE!

JoeGKushner

First Post
Another book that goes high on the list.

I still have the originals so I'll be interested in seeing how the author took the traps and put them in game terms.

Any chance that if this sells well we'll get a best of City Book deal or something along those lines of the other old fantasy Flying Buffalo goods?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
JoeGKushner said:
Another book that goes high on the list.

I still have the originals so I'll be interested in seeing how the author took the traps and put them in game terms.

Any chance that if this sells well we'll get a best of City Book deal or something along those lines of the other old fantasy Flying Buffalo goods?

In the back of the book, there's an ad for Flying Buffalo which says "We're back" and lists their web address. So, who knows - maybe you'll see some things direct from them.

JoeGKushner

First Post
DaveMage said:
In the back of the book, there's an ad for Flying Buffalo which says "We're back" and lists their web address. So, who knows - maybe you'll see some things direct from them.

Unless their using some d20 people in the know, like they did for this book... well, let's just say that with the plethora of d20 material I have, I'm not in the market for generic fantasy books these days.

Then again, I do need to pick up some Nuclear War... is that card game still out? May have to check the old hobby store and see.

Orcus

First Post
I'd definately consider redoing the City books. They were great. But right now I have to say that whether or not you remember the old Grimmys, this new version is an amazing book. It is fun, the stats are great. It really puts the fun back in traps. The 3E rules are great. I love them. But sometimes some obstacles just turn into d20 rolls. They are so enamored of their own mechanic that the mechanic is the only thing to the solution. No more strategizing how to get by a trap. Just "I check for traps." "Ok, you found one." "I try to disable it." "Ok, you di." Where is the fun in that?

Clark

Aluvial

Explorer
Hello, I've never given a review here before, but I just received this book yesterday, and am picking through it now.

I've always been impressed with everything (well almost everything) that has come through Necromancer, but I have to say that I enjoyed the 3.5 stats that they put on these traps. Inclusion of the original Dungeon of Doom is also wonderful.

My complaint comes simply in the proof-reading department. It just couldn't possibly have been done. My text reader has the same problems that I've seen that crop up in the book in a bunch of the trap descriptions that were directly lifted from the old texts. Plainly put, there are a lot of typos that cropped up from one copy to the new book copy, mainly it is just a missing letter.

It doesn't ruin the book by any means, but others will notice it immediatley, just like I have.

Otherwise, this book is a must buy for DM's who have been playing with these wussy traps in the DMG. Traps were designed to KILL! These traps have always have done the job, and they continue to do so now. I would like to see some new entries (I'm sure there are traps that are new in the book), just bring back the series and new traps!

As for the lethality meter, I'm glad to see that skulls are still in there, they were always a good way to judge the lethality of the traps, from instant death to massive overkill. Of course, I have a further complaint, this time with the 3.5 system of traps. I don't like the idea that traps cap out at CR 10. The traps in this book need higher CR's, period.

There are 34 CR 10 traps in the book, 5 CR 9's, 7 CR 8's, 9 CR 7's, 12 CR 6's, 18 CR 5's, 24 CR 4's, 20 CR 3's, 35 CR 2's, and 25 CR 1's (and a bunch of unlisted CR traps... I'm not sure why, something about lack of lethality). Anyhow, my point is that some of the CR 10 should be higher, but that isn't allowed in the rules. I would like to see Peterson and Webb's notes on what they gaged them at...

Anyhow, the second gripe is just a general gripe I've always had with the rules. I just change them for my campaign, but I would like to have a source book that just list traps higher for higher level play. The typos are there, but you can get over them, I suppose...

Aluvial

Orcus

First Post
I dont like the CR 10 cap either, but "them's the rules."

A few CR 10s are really just sick and wrong. The Boulder Trap, for one. But for that one we actually mention the CR is way higher than 10.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
As for the lethality meter, I'm glad to see that skulls are still in there, they were always a good way to judge the lethality of the traps, from instant death to massive overkill.

Actually, the decision to leave the skulls in is part of the new story line that is in the book. We told Grimmy we wouldnt put CRs and that we would only use the death heads. We lied. :) Which may be one of the reasons Bill and I meet our untimely death at the end...

Clark

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Orcus said:
I was worried that some people might think Grimmy's is all nothing but CR100 meatgrinder traps. So we did the preview so that you could see for yourself that there are a wide range of traps. Check out the appendix of traps by CR so you can see that there is a nice wide spread of traps of all levels of usefulness from simple to totally evil.

Clark

And I was worried, that there were other than CR100 meatgrinder Traps :)

In the olden Days, me young and Player, I lost a couple of PCs to the darn Troll.
Today I have made my peace with Grimmy and will use his Stuff against my Players.
One of which is my old DM. Now I can give him fond memories of spectecular and sudden Deaths...

Yeah I love TWoGT!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads