Necromancer Games-update by Orcus

Sunderstone

First Post
Not sure if this is ok to post here, we thought some would want to know (Hope Clark is ok with me linking/quoting this)...

Posted by Orcus 6/17/09 Necro Update -- 4E print not looking good, but still possible - General Discussion - General - Necromancer Games - Message Board - Yuku

Orcus said:
Hey everyone.

I know its been a long time between updates for a lot of reasons and that can be frustrating. Sorry for that.

I'm still hopeful to do Pathfinder print products and perhaps a key 4E print product or two (a Tome 4E perhaps), but abiliity to product the 4E print stuff is proving to be difficult. Retailers are less than excited about 4E supplemental material. Distributors even less so. Print partners still less excited.

All you know my desire to support 4E and my many plans, some of which are even under way. Right now, the 4E PRINT plans dont look like they are going to happen.

I dont want this to turn into a "yeah Pathfinder, boo 4E" thread. Any such posts will be deleted. This is an update thread, not an edition wars thread.

Other than a key 4E product, such as a Tome 4E, I dont see Necro doing much in the way of print 4E products. That leaves us with the possibility of pdf products. That is not necessarily bad, but it would reflect a shift in our traditional product strategies and will require different analysis on how to go forward.

In large part this situation is due to the delay of an acceptable GSL. Not having one at launch created a huge slowdown of momentum as well as a retailer and distributor gap where distributors didnt have 3Ps plugged in to the product array for 4E. Now, having no 3P track record for 4E they are wary (and probably happy to have some of it go away). Had there been a GSL at launch I think we would have hit a few big products and gotten distributors on board for 3P products for 4E. But that didnt happen. Now I think we have a chasm we just cant cross with anything but a tiny selection of key 4E products, such as a Tome 4E. But that said, even the idea of a Tome 4E has been floated by those who matter and even for a product like that there is less than total enthusiasm.

All that said, we are exploring pdf and print on demand options.

It would be fair to say that I am frustrated by the path 4E and 3P support for 4E has taken and that we, essentially, had the ability taken from us to support 4E by the mishandling of the GSL. I say that while at the same time applauding Scott Rouse's tireless fight to get the GSL revised--which he did and did well. I just wish there were more people at Wizards who "got it" like Scott did and were on board. Its really too bad. 3E was truly a golden age of D&D, a revival of all that was great from the early years of the game. Its too bad that same feeling and fervor couldnt happen for 4E. Maybe I was naive to ever think it could, but I did think that.

All this means is likely no big 4E print products (maybe one or two at most) and perhaps only a few Pathfinder print products. We are still in contact with Paizo and have a good relationship there. We still have great connections for online and print on demand products and are working with OBS to achieve those things. Its just that our hoped for print lineup will likely not happen.

I know this means more waiting for all of you and I am sorry for that.

I hesitated to post this because some will say "Necro is folding." Thats not the case at all. We are just being forced by external factors to shift our product plans. I felt all of you were owed an update and an explanation about that.

Clark

Last edited:

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I wonder if this is when we need to print T-Shirts stating "I survived the golden age of gaming and all I got was this".

Thanks for the honesty Clark and looking forward to what you guys come up with for Pathfinder.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Sounds like the distributors are playing it save, not the least because of the crisis (and the glut of 3e 3pp book problem we had at some time). Bugger that it´s so hard for good companies like Necromancer to get stuff accepted / into the chain.

Yeah, verily: back then, we didn´t know how good it was, until it ended (somewhat). Not that i need 3pp, but i know many people are excited by them. Oh well.

Falstaff

First Post
Necromancer: since you have worked with Kenzerco in the past, are there any chances that you would support the new HackMaster RPG with adventures and supplements?

Remathilis

Legend
I think the market is taking a two-sided assault; the economy in general is taking a hit (less money to spend on leisure item) and a general feeling 4e is not outselling 3e for the same time in the product line (aka same time in 2001). Add on the slow sales by 3pp (excluding a handful) and you get a recipie for stalling in the d20 market.

I foresee a lot more PDF/LuLu methods of distribution being the norm for 3PP D&D books, retro-clone to 4e.

ggroy

First Post
I think the market is taking a two-sided assault; the economy in general is taking a hit (less money to spend on leisure item) and a general feeling 4e is not outselling 3e for the same time in the product line (aka same time in 2001).

During the time period of 2000-2001, the economy was hit by the bursting of the dotcom bubble and subsequent collapse, along with 9-11. Though one could argue that the dotcom collapse + 9-11 problems were not as widespread across the entire economy, compared to the real estate bubble collapse in recent times which does appear to be more far reaching and widespread. This time around it does feel quite different than back in 2000-2001.

Sad news. Doesn't hugely effect me, I have no FLGS and only buy WotC products in paper form, mostly. Shipping here costs a bomb. But sad news for the 3PP industry, I hope this is not the end of some good companies.

mhensley

First Post
totally expected this, I mean how many years has it been since they've released anything?

I wonder how Goodman is doing with their 4e stuff?

Well they paused everything once 4e was announced. Then announced a whole buch of 4e stuff only to not get the GSL. Then when it did come it was unusable to them.

They are not a full time company so they could wait. Unlike others, paizo, goodman and green ronin to name 3

But it seems as a downside no one will touch 4e stuff from them, sad for 4e necro fans

Remove ads