Necromancer Games-update by Orcus

Treebore

First Post
They seem to have a bunch of 4e print products in the works. I was only on their website yesterday.

Not only "in the works" but already out! There are at least 8 4E compatible modules out, and a couple of other resource type books, not to mention Points of Light 1, and now 2.

So Goodman is definitely putting out the product, and presumably still selling strong.

Goodman did the smart thing, he realized the importance of "riding the wave", so he went with 4E compatibility via copyright, rather than wait on the GSL, so Goodman never missed a stride. Unfortunately Necro wasn't being nearly as business savy, and now we miss out on more of their good products.

I'll be happy with what we do get, but I know I would have been happier if Necro had jumped on the wave similar to Goodman.

Oh well, business is still largely a crap shoot, and Necro rolled badly.

Edit: Oops! My bag! Goodman has at least 12 modules out, plus an adventure in their 4E Level Up! magazine. Plus the other books, so going REAL strong by the looks of things.

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
That's right, because they are in fact not 4e products. Just in case anyone might make that (easy enough to make) mistake. I know I did until recently, when I happened to stumble upon a review.

PoL2 does use some 4E terminology in its descriptions - unlike PoL1.

Hopefully they explain what those 4E terms mean beacuse I've ordered PoL2, but don't play 4E.

If not, well, maybe one of you 4E fans will get a gift. :)

Treebore

First Post
That's right, because they are in fact not 4e products. Just in case anyone might make that (easy enough to make) mistake. I know I did until recently, when I happened to stumble upon a review.

They are 4E products, in that they are "edition neutral". Your certainly not going to find any new cool powerz in them, but if your looking for good setting material, they are worth checking out. They are done in the 4E "Points of light" theme that WOTC pushed for 4E FR, though. However, if your fan of how The Wilderlands, Greyhawk, or parts of Mystara felt, then you will likely be interested in Points of Light. Not to mention Goodmans own world setting in DCC 35.

These products are for those DM's who have blank spots on their maps, and looking for something with which to fill it, that is simple and leaves lots of room for customization.

Treebore

First Post
PoL2 does use some 4E terminology in its descriptions - unlike PoL1.

Hopefully they explain what those 4E terms mean beacuse I've ordered PoL2, but don't play 4E.

If not, well, maybe one of you 4E fans will get a gift. :)

If the terms are in the 4E PH I can tell you the definitions.

Aus_Snow

First Post
They are 4E products, in that they are "edition neutral".
Er. . .

I'm not quite sure how to process that one. If they're equally 3e products, AD&D products, etc., etc. . . . and they're marketed by the creators as systemless, or edition neutral, or something like that. . . hm. No, I just don't get it.

But hey, it's all good. Whatever works, and stuff.

edit --- Hrm, didn't realise that about PoL II. OK, well maybe that one *is* slightly 4e-ish. The first one, not one bit.

Dire Bare

Legend
Well they (Necromaner Games) paused everything once 4e was announced. Then announced a whole buch of 4e stuff only to not get the GSL. Then when it did come it was unusable to them.

They are not a full time company so they could wait. Unlike others, paizo, goodman and green ronin to name 3

But it seems as a downside no one will touch 4e stuff from them, sad for 4e necro fans

I'll be happy with what we do get, but I know I would have been happier if Necro had jumped on the wave similar to Goodman.

Oh well, business is still largely a crap shoot, and Necro rolled badly.

I don't think Necromancer made any bad business decisions, it's just that they are a very different company than Goodman Games. I'm sure they both love what they do, but Goodman is in serious business to earn a profit, and Necromancer is more of a side project by some serious D&D fans.

They simply got excited about the new D&D, came up with some cool projects, and then when the cold water of the original GSL was dumped on them, they put things on hold rather than spend effort getting crafty like Goodman. And now the colder water of a down economy and a damaged brand (d20) is likely to kill off their enthusiam even moreso.

Could Necromancer have taken the route Goodman did and "ride the wave"? Sure, but it's just not how they play the game. It's unfortunate for them and for the fans who love their products, but not really a misstep on their part.

carmachu

Explorer
I have to admit, I'm chuckling to myself right now.

4E's BIGGEST cheerleader isnt/cant do proucts for it, because WOTC screwed around to much getting the GSL out and properly done?

The irony is astounding, especially in light of some of Orcus's words in the GSL forum, once the GSL was finally redone....what was his words again?

That's all? 2 posts?

Come on, people!

This is a huge change! Very well done, Scott! I'm glad my faith in you was not misplaced. I knew you would come through. Thanks for fighting to get these changes. I really appreciate it.

Where are all the naysayers? I think its time for them to man up and come eat some crow.

Remove ads