• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necrotic Damage and Me

Mand

First Post
So I'm likely going to be playing a Revenant Warlock soon, and I'm wondering how to deal with the issue of necrotic resistance. I'm liking the idea of the Avenging Haunt paragon path for the character, and between general warlockness and the Revenant stuff, I'm a little concerned about the necrotic damage type.

What are the methods of bypassing necrotic resistance? I notice the Avatar of Death epic destiny, but are there others? By my calculation Avatar of Death will require me to have 13 wis at some point and spend two feats to become eligible after that. Do you have any suggestions for paragon path or epic destiny choices? The warlock will be Vestige Pact.

You could always take one of the magic weapons that lets you swap damage type, like a flaming dagger. Use that as an implement, and you can turn necrotic into something else when an enemy gives you a hard time.

Mentat55

First Post
There is a shadar-kai feat, Deathly Disruption, that lets you ignore some necrotic resistance (5 per tier). If you were a revenant that was once a shadar-kai, you'd qualify.

Gloves of Piercing are a fairly low-level item that can bypass resistance.

But unless you fight nothing but undead (who typically have necrotic resist), it shouldn't be a problem. 90% of the time your PC will be fully effective, and 10% of the time (when fighting things that resist necrotic) you'll have to find away around it.

Just like every other PC who does energy-typed damage.

Arcane Admixture could be handy too. It probably won't CURE the problem, but it could be a handy way to make one specific power more useful. That may be all you need.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads