• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a critique for my Fighter

Hey guys,

I am just looking to make sure that I didn't hose myself on this build before I start a new campaign. I am playing a Fighter, but I have no idea what the remainder of the party will be comprised of. I wanted to try out a Defender and since we are playing in Eberron, I will be playing a Warforged. I was hoping to play a two-handed weapon wielding guy.

Race: Warforged

Level: 1

Stats (rolled): 17, 17, 16, 14, 11, 6 (unbelievable, I know).

Assignments: Str 19 Con 18 Dex 17 Int 11 Wis 14 Cha 6

Trained Skills: Heal, Athletics, Endurance

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Greatsword)

At Will: Footwork Lure, Tide of Iron (somewhat controlling...)

Encounter: Passing Attack

Daily: Comeback Strike

I am thinking of exchanging Footwork Lure/Tide of Iron for Cleave...but I think the rest of it is alright. With Scale Armor and Dex, my AC is 20...but obviously I don't have the best Ref/Will Defenses...oh well. What do you guys think?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Just to make sure, by Weapon Expertise you mean it's for Heavy Blades, right? As Greatsword and Tide of Iron would not go well together (Tide of Iron requiring a shield)...

Brad

Dan'L

First Post
Do dump Tide of Iron, it's essentially unusable for a two-handed weapon user. Consider Reaping Strike for sure damage, or Cleave for the extra minion clearing.

I'm not sure what use you expect to get out of a 17 in Dex, other than your Reflex score (Dex does not add to your AC with Scale armor, as you seem to have assumed, so your AC will be 17.) You might be better served shifting things around to get a higher Wis score: Str 19 Con 16 Dex 16 Int 11 Wis 17 Cha 6 -- Gives you a bump to OAs and Will defense for a shift of two HP. You'd still have the same Ref & Initiative boosts, too.

If the 18 Con is important to you, consider taking some powers that take advantage of it (like Crushing Surge) or switching up weapon choice to take advantage of powers that add Con stuff if you use an axe/hammer/mace (like Brash Strike.)

Also, with a Greatsword, a 19 Str, and 2-weapon fighting talent you'll be starting your first level character with a +8 to hit AC. You might find that feats other than Weapon Expertise give you more bang for your buck at first level. Consider Reaping Blade to give you some extra movement around the battlefield, Weapon Focus or MC Barbarian to pump your damage, or even Timely Respite or Martial Freedom to help shake off troublesome conditions.

-Dan'L

Destil

Explorer
I'd go with Fullblade prof, myself, above weapon expertise as greatswords are a bit anemic as far as two-handed weapons go and your to-hit will be fantastic at level 1 without it.

Re:Tide of Iron - If you're using a two-handed they tend to call this power 'Footwork Lure'.

I'd go with Fullblade prof, myself, above weapon expertise as greatswords are a bit anemic as far as two-handed weapons go and your to-hit will be fantastic at level 1 without it.

Re:Tide of Iron - If you're using a two-handed they tend to call this power 'Footwork Lure'.

So, do you guys think Foorwork Lure or Cleave would be better?

Destil

Explorer
Ah, didn't see you had footwork already. I'd say take that and Cleave, you can always retrain if you don't like how they play.

tiornys

Explorer
So, do you guys think Foorwork Lure or Cleave would be better?
Not knowing the party composition, I think I'd start with both Footwork Lure and Cleave; they're versatile and help you cover some minor aspects of control and leading. At level 2 you'll be able to retrain one of them to Reaping Strike, Brash Strike, or Knockdown Assault if one of those seems like a better fit.

t~

jbear

First Post
You could take Brash Strike as your other at will along with Footwork Lure. +2 Attack, for a solid 1[w]+ Str + Con dmg = 1d12 +8 dmg.

Even if you grant CA that is better than the bonus of both Heavy Blade expertise and focus feats put together. +2 Atk +4 Dmg!

Depending on how defensive your party is I would prefer Villains Menace over Comeback Strike. +2 Atk and +4 Dmg til that enemy is dead. Very nice against Bosses!

Definitely put your 17 in WIS rather than DEX. 14 is fine for DEX of a 2 Weapon Fighter. Makes your marking ability very formidable. And +2 initiative aint bad for a hunk of living metal!

As for your feat, you should be accurate enough with Brash Strike. I'd be tempted to Multi-Class into Avenger with that high Wisdom score. Hero of the Faith gives you Oath of Emnity 1/encounter that lasts til the target dies, which allows you to roll two attack rolls and take the highest as long as you have no other enemies next to you. That will make you incredibly accurate! Plus training in an Avenger class skill of your choice!

Remove ads