Need a new material

Hashmalum

Explorer
I've always liked the idea of celestials being weak against golden weapons myself. Love of money being the root of all evil, and all that.

paulewaug

seasong said:
In my steampunk gothic victorian horror-slash-swashbuckling campaign (;)),
oo! fun!

seasong said:

I've recently introduced blades that are woven from sunbeams rather than forged from base metals. They're very light weight

bwahah!! Please tell that pun was on purpose!
Sorry yes I am easily amused, but that is a good thing! ;)

This is a very cool idea for a high fantasy game, souds like something from a fairy tale.
A cloak of spun moonlight, rainwater gathered in a crystal vase under the clear starlight sky at night durring the phase of a new moon, and a sword of woven sunbeams, Cool!

orichalcum sounds cool, gold was a DR bypasser in Ravenloft for some of the tougher things. Somebody mentioned "Aurum" as a different name for gold I guess, that sounds kind of neat.

Darkwood could be interesting as a DR bypass.
Very organic

seasong

First Post
paulewaug said:
bwahah!! Please tell that pun was on purpose!
It wasn't, but the best ones never are :).

This is a very cool idea for a high fantasy game, souds like something from a fairy tale.
A cloak of spun moonlight, rainwater gathered in a crystal vase under the clear starlight sky at night durring the phase of a new moon, and a sword of woven sunbeams, Cool!
:D You are surprisingly accurate in that sentence, although the players would likely try to apprise you that moonbeams are terribly impractical for nets (how about a net, darling?), and that the full moon is more useful to a lady than new, as it is closer to the fullness of the woman's cycle and thus possessed of more Virtue.

It is also about armor-plated dirigibles, wicked dream thieves, unrepentant (and non-angsty) vampires, Ada Byron's improved analytic engine, maiden-eating unicorns, überindustrialist gnomes, flaming high fey, Freud, demon possession... :). I had a big pie, so I put a lot of stuff in it.

[/hijack]

paulewaug

a little more hijack

"maiden-eating unicorns" :eek:
that's an interesting twist!

"...flaming high fey, Freud,.."

hehe the close position of these to words and the first thing that comes to mind when I see "flaming..fey" strikes me as rather ironic.
Not to be starting a whole nother OT discussion (or the promotion of "phobic streotypes" no offnse meant to anybody! :)), just as a freqeunt dwarf player I enjoy ribbing my fellow elf players about being "flaming fey" hehe.

I'm sure you use it as meaning "fiery" ;)

That's a nice bit about the moon's phases and the female cycle.

To get back on topic...uhhhmm...

How about just requiring the use of weapons that have been anointed/sprinkled in holy water and blessed by a priest?

I like the fairy tale stuff though, it seems harmonious with the devils and demons having a 'different than D&D" relationship.
But that of course is just IMHO. :D

So I guess there are a few themse to work with.
pseudo Western Religious, Fairy Tale, and
Sword and Sorcery-High Fantasy.

seasong

First Post
Re: a little more hijack

paulewaug said:
I'm sure you use it as meaning "fiery" ;)
Nope. He was a total fruit. A poof. A greek. ;).

But I realize that some may find reason to be offended by that, so let me clarify: My core players are 75% gay or lesbian. And he was a reasonably deep, very real character. But the fey of this world have a tendency to be lax about human mores, and he was very fun to run as an NPC.

Back on topic1, another thought I had was this: A diamond edge. Make it cost something like 1,000 gp for a sword, gives a +1 enhancement bonus to damage (does not stack with other enhancement bonuses), and shatters on a natural 1.

Remove ads