• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need good Disk Defragmenter for Windows XP

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Can anyone recommend me a good Disk Defragmenter that works similar to the one that comes with Windows XP. As in, one that lets me Analyze a drive to see if it needs to be defragmented, and of course lets me defragment it. The one that comes with Windows XP broke for me, so I need a new one that will at least let me defragment until I can maybe fix the default one.

Chaz

First Post
I like this (these) program (s), I use it (them) on Vista also.

Auslogics Products

scroll down towards the bottom of the page and you will see a link for "FREE" products. The 2 I use are the 'Auslogics Disk Defrag' and the 'Auslogics Registry Cleaner' they are both free, compact, fast and so far very efficient. I was turned on to them by the folks at Maximum PC magazine.

Anyway good luck.

Peace,

Chaz.

Last edited:

Jaze

First Post
The XP defragger is a stripped down version of Diskeeper. Get the full version. It can be set to run automatically and defrags even under low free space. Its the best I have tried. There is a free 30 day trial you can checkout.

babomb

First Post
I'm surprised that you write the defrag utility that came with Windows "broke". While it's not stellar, I've found it quite stable and adequate, with the glaring exception of its inability to defragment the MFT. I'm curious: what happens when you try to use it?

Of course, if MS set up the file system better, it wouldn't be much of a problem in the first place. Other OSes essentially have no issue with fragmentation, up until the point where the disk is nearly full anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads