Need Good Fantasy Literature Recommendations (again)

SteelDraco

First Post
I recently read, and greatly enjoyed, a book called The Bridge of Birds. You can get the three books in that series as a collection; I think it's titled "The Chronicles of Li Kao and Number Ten Ox". I'd have to ask the friend I borrowed it from for the exact title.

Anyway... it's excellent fantasy stuff, set in ancient China. Very good read.

In a modern fantasy vein, I've really enjoyed The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher (Storm Front, Fool's Moon, Grave Peril, and Spring Knight). It's about a wizard in modern-day Chicago who works as a private investigator. Very amusing stuff - I might run a campaign like this when d20 Modern comes out.

Yep. That's the title. "Japanese Tales" Edited and Translated by Royall Tyler. Great stuff. But to clarify, it's not a novel. It's assorted short stories, folk tales, Buddhist myths, and what-all. Little bite-sized chunks of reading goodness :D

If you liked "The King of Elfland's Daughter" find yourself a copy of "The Charwoman's Shadow."

Don't suppose you've read any William Morris? I picked up "The Well at the World's End" a while back, but haven't had time to read it yet.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
"The Neverending Story", by Michael Ende. The book is much darker (and better) than the movies, and Phantasien will inspire many fascinating locales and creatures.

Michael Ende... The only German writer of fantasy literature whom I could respect. Too bad he's gone...

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Poul Anderson - The Broken Sword, Three Hearts and Three Lions, The High Crusade

John Bellairs - The Face In The Frost

Alan Garner - The Weirdstone of Brisingamen

T.H. White - The Once and Future King

Peter Beagle - The Last Unicorn

Jack Vance - The Dying Earth

Roger Zelazny - the "Amber" series, Jack of Shadows

Vhane

First Post
Zelazny's Books of Amber

Cook's Black Company

CS Friedman's Cold Fire Trilogy

Good things come in Three's and those three are very good indeed.

johnsemlak

First Post
John Bellairs was already mentioned, but I'd like to throw in my favorite work of his., the House with a Clock in its Walls.

For very old school, in addition to Eddison and Dunsany (sp?) try William Morris, The Well at the World's End.

Last edited:

Dragongirl

First Post
TOLKEIN!!!!

Also Anne McCaffrey's Pern series (which is sci-fi/fantasy). If you want VERY light material you can do Piers Anthony's Xanth series (but you must like puns).

Enforcer

Explorer
John Bellairs! There's a name I fondly remember. His books are more focused on younger (jr. high) readers, I'd say, but boy did I love them! My 8th grade English class had a small ceremony when he died.

For medieval fiction (without any fantasy whatsoever) try Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett or Shogun (obviously set in Japan, and again, nothing fantasy-oriented) by James Clavell. Both those are up there with Jordan and Martin in my mental list of favorite books.

You said you read some FR books. Well, if you like R.A. Salvatore, I highly recommend the Demonwar Trilogy. They're his best since Homeland, in my opinion. By the way, the Demon War trilogy has a very powerful order of monks that is very western--might be good for some DMs who hate the idea of kung fu vs. mounted knights. And the system of magic in those books is very, very cool.

JeffQ UK

First Post
Other authors not yet mentioned..

Perahps slightly off the beaten track but Donaldsons "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" are exceptionally well written (pity about the stuff afterwards)

Another author with some good ideas and offering a slightly more lighthearted read is the "Dancing Gods" series by Jack L Chalker, the "rules" are a superb story hook.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
By Lois Bujold :
The Spirit Ring;
Curse of Chalion

By Dave Duncan :
The Reluctant Swordsman, Coming of Wisdom, and one more book in the trilogy whose title escapes me.

Raymond Feist:
The Riftwar Saga and its many sequels
Faerie Tale (a little dark, and modern setting)

By (Something) Hayden:
The Rhapsody trilogy

By Katherine Kurtz:
The Deryni series
The Last Adept series

By Katherine Kerr:
The "Derry" series - Daggerfall and its sequels

By Christopher Stasheff :
Her Majesty's Wizard (and its brethern)
The Star Stone

Lawrence Watt-Evan:
The Esthar series