Need Good Fantasy Literature Recommendations (again)

Apology

In my earlier rant on Martin/against the Tolkien tradition, I included a poorly directed piece of criticism. I apologize, and take the following bit of analysis as much more true of the LotR:

Second, I think I read a different Tolkien from you. In LotR, the party isn't gathered together the way you describe. Instead, Frodo has the Ring by happenstance, and his hobbit friends come along for the ride. Aragorn was going to go to Gondor, anyway, Legolas and Gimli are along for altruistic reasons (but neither is invited because there's some prophecy that they need to be the ones along--Elrond and Gandalf really don't seem to care two hoots, so long as Gandalf and Frodo go). The only one that seems to recognize the world is changing is Gandalf, who keeps trying to tell everyone else, and eventually Frodo and Aragorn pay attention. The story is really about an ordinary person, inconsequential as far as anyone would normally be concerned, becomes pivotal to the fate of the world.

I almost entirely agree that this is true of Tolkien, my criticism was meant more for those who have come after and, in attempting to capture the character of the new style, failed to capture and use this dynamic correctly.

I would argue that most of the members of the fellowship do realize the world is changing, though Gandalf has the best idea of what this entails and most of the rest are resistant to various degrees.

Also, I could be wrong Martin. There are still several books left and it is entirely possible that as soon as the changing world becomes obvious a fellowship will be formed to confront the great evil.

Last edited:

reddist

First Post
here's a few

I will definitely agree that the Amber books, by Roger Zelazny, should not be missed. Those were my first "adult" fiction books, and I never looked back. Still read the whole lot of them over again every couple of years. My Zelazny collection is nearly complete, and there isn't anything in there I wouldn't suggest.

Another series I'd suggest, though not strictly fantasy, would be Herbert's Dune books. Sure, the setting is *nominally* sci fi, but you forget about it once you start. Swordsmen, emporers, princesses, desert nomads, assassins. Halleck and Idaho are essentially a bard and a knight, Hawat is a wizard any duke would love to have as counsel, Jessica is a head priestess if I ever saw one. Good stuff. I re-read those every couple of years, too.

For lighter reading, Robert Asprin's Myth series is fun.

READER CHALLENGE: Any one else fans Robert Vardeman's Cenotaph Road books, or his and Proctor's Swords of Raemllyn? I'd love to have these in hardback.

--Reddist

Remove ads