• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Help Building a Fighter/Mage

Felnar

First Post
i'm not that familiar with the warlock, but isnt the eldritch blast ability basically an infinite use of a lesser orb spell?
seems quite powerful

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Felnar said:
i'm not that familiar with the warlock, but isnt the eldritch blast ability basically an infinite use of a lesser orb spell?
seems quite powerful
Eldritch Blast basically goes up a d6 every other level.

Felnar

First Post
yes, but isnt eldritch blast exactly the same as those conjuration lesser orb spells?
both are no save, ranged touch attacks, that do 1d6 more damage at each odd level
and isnt eldritch blast "use at will"?
it seems so powerful that i must be missing something...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Okay, looks like the Orb spells are d6/level (max 15d6) and the Lesser Orb spells are d6/2 odd levels (max 5d6).

The Orbs are also Fort Save Partial.

They both have no SR.

The EB, on the other hand, is subject to SR, and caps at 9d6.

Warlocks are also much more limited in what they can do. Sure, they can shoot EB's all day, but they can't do much else.

Last edited:

malien

First Post
Iku Rex said:
malien: Which books do you have access to in the campaign and for character generation?

I have the core books, all the Complete Series, the Races of books, the enviroment books (Sandstorm, Frostburn) BoED and BoVD and if I really want, probably some elements of Eberron.

malien

First Post
Man, I'm really bad. My brain jumps all over. Just an idea, what does everyone think of the viability of an Aasimar Sorcerer/Paladin/Exalted Arcanist? It'd be a character definately using a lot of things from the Book of Exalted Deeds. It's just that recalling all the books we've access to in our gaming group reminded me that, really, nobody /ever/ seems to use much material from the book. And that book is /good/. (Sorry, sorry. Bad pun.)

Voadam

Legend
aasimar has ecl I believe and that hurts on the arcane casting particularly with the mixing of warrior classes, although the assimar resistances help. . .

I would say go exalted human with that path.

I would suggest starting with the warrior class to max out your hp rather than skills since you are a martial caster, unless you really want to go the ray/artillerist route and plan to never get in melee.

Remove ads