Need help dealing with a melee character in a predominately ranged combat setting...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not in favor of tossing players to the wolves, but it sounds like he's not interested in taking any advice on making his character fit the environment better. So it's time to teach him through the school of hard knocks. You can't say he wasn't warned. If the PC fails to adapt, let the dice fall where they may.

kenobi65

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
It's my short hand for infra red or thermal vision. In DS, spells such as invisibility effect the visible light spectrum. Anyone with equipment that views other wavelengths (ultraviolet, infra red, etc) is uneffected by the spell.

Ahh. It's been 3 years since I've played Dragonstar, and I wasn't remembering that.

werk

First Post
grimwell said:
Kill his character(s). Repeatedly.
:)

This gets my vote.

Ask him how well Conan would do in a modern battle. Odds are he'd do well, because he'd pick up a gun and save the swordplay for appropriate conditions.

In a hallway ganking people as they round the corner, good idea.
In the an open area, outnumbered against laser rifle armed troops, bad idea.

Don't use a hammer when you need a wrench.

irdeggman

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
It's my short hand for infra red or thermal vision. In DS, spells such as invisibility effect the visible light spectrum. Anyone with equipment that views other wavelengths (ultraviolet, infra red, etc) is uneffected by the spell.

Then there must be some type of equipment that hides from that type of detection equipment then too right?

Something that provides concealment. Fogs, "blinking", etc.

Have him get that.

BlackMoria

First Post
You have already gone beyond the call of duty. You let him know the campaign parameters, you spoken repeatly to him about his character concept to no avail.

It's all on him now. Let him play his character and don't make allowances in the dice rolls or the encounters for the fact he hobbled his character by ignoring your advice and go against the grain.

He will either be hero or zero, depending on how he plays his character. Allow him to play his character and if the character is ineffective or the character meets an early end, then so be it....

Drowbane

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
I'll run the psionics rule by him and see what happens. PS: We tweaked the psionic rules slightly (You can't augment save DC's or SR/PR penetration without feats) so he may not go for it.

:jaw drop:

Holy +5 Nerfbat!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The_Gneech said:
I second that emotion. If he's made the character he wants to play, start rolling the dice and let fate take its course.

-The Gneech :cool:
Thirded.

Drowsbane,

Yeah I was floored by that nerfing too..

hexgrid

Explorer
What makes a melee character unviable in Dragonstar? Are there no hi-tech melee options to go along with the hi-tech ranged options?

Melee characters work fine in other gun-heavy fantasy settings, like Shadowrun, for example.

irdeggman

First Post
hexgrid said:
What makes a melee character unviable in Dragonstar? Are there no hi-tech melee options to go along with the hi-tech ranged options?

Melee characters work fine in other gun-heavy fantasy settings, like Shadowrun, for example.

And they are actually better in d20Modern due to the realitievely wimpy guns.

Andor

First Post
Well... It's a gestalt game, so have him pick up the Book of Nine Swords and take Swordsage for one of his classes. He'll have the option of a bunch of nifty powers like concelement and short range teleports to help him stay alive. At 9th level he'll be able to get a power that lets him teleport next to anyone who attacks him as an immediate reaction, in a burst of flame no less.
*bang* "Where'd he go?" *whumph* 'Boo!' "Ahhh! Who are you?" 'There are those who call me... Tim.' ;) :p

Remove ads