Need Help with a Hexblade Build

Kojak_3

First Post
One of my fellow players from my regular D&D 5e group is going to DM us through some hardcore dungeon crawl mini-campaign, something like the 5e equivalent of the Temple of Elemental Evil (which by my admittedly limited understanding was the hardest of hardcore dungeons back in the day). Now I probably should have prefaced all this by noting that I'm still pretty new to D&D both as a game and a setting, as I've been playing in this regular campaign for only about the past eight or nine months (although I've been trying to bone up via character build guides, SCAG and the Forgotten Realms wiki). Anyway, I've gotten really into building characters and I've developed a particular interest in gishes, and our DM told us to build 14th-level characters for this, so I've put something together accordingly. I was wondering if any of you with more experience at this sort of thing could look it over to A) see if there's any way I could improve without radically altering the character concept, and B) make sure I didn't make any gross errors or do anything illegal. FWIW, the DM did give me permission to ignore the "one-handed weapons only" clause of Hex Warrior, so the sheet reflects that and is not an accident or error.

Attachments

• Andraste Tahlaera (Ultimate Sheet).pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 969
Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
One of my fellow players from my regular D&D 5e group is going to DM us through some hardcore dungeon crawl mini-campaign, something like the 5e equivalent of the Temple of Elemental Evil (which by my admittedly limited understanding was the hardest of hardcore dungeons back in the day). Now I probably should have prefaced all this by noting that I'm still pretty new to D&D both as a game and a setting, as I've been playing in this regular campaign for only about the past eight or nine months (although I've been trying to bone up via character build guides, SCAG and the Forgotten Realms wiki). Anyway, I've gotten really into building characters and I've developed a particular interest in gishes, and our DM told us to build 14th-level characters for this, so I've put something together accordingly. I was wondering if any of you with more experience at this sort of thing could look it over to A) see if there's any way I could improve without radically altering the character concept, and B) make sure I didn't make any gross errors or do anything illegal. FWIW, the DM did give me permission to ignore the "one-handed weapons only" clause of Hex Warrior, so the sheet reflects that and is not an accident or error.
You should look up the revised invocations, they are a little better even though they took away the special weapons, eldritch smite is a little more balanced and can be used with any weapon. They also changed the pact specific invocations to not be pact specific. There are a couple new invocations also. It's not letting me see your character, so I can't speak on specifics about it, but Hexblade is a pretty good build.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Actually I saw your character, idk what your theme is, but I think you've spread yourself too thin with trying 3 classes. It makes you too weak in every class. Hexblade is stronger by itself.

Kojak_3

First Post
I just noticed that Invocation-wise I'd removed Curse Bringer for Eldritch Smite back before I got my DM's approval to use Hex Warrior with two-handed weapons, so I just switched that back on the sheet and uploaded the corrected sheet.

As for the triple-classing, just to explain my reasoning: I was originally going to build this as Fighter 2/Warlock X, but I was unhappy with the original build because the spell slots were extremely limited. So I picked up four levels of Favored Soul Sorc just so that I'd have a decent reserve of spell slots. I agree with you that that does spread it a little thin, but it was the least unsatisfactory solution I could find to the spell slot quantity issue.

Kojak_3

First Post
Oh, and on the matter of the character's theme, I was going for 'resurrected demon-hunter w/ eldritch powers', basically half Buffy and half Gandalf the White; there's a relatively perfunctory backstory for the character down on page 4 of the sheet.

neogod22

Explorer
So a lvl 14 Hexblade will have 5 spells slots, 3 are lvl 5 that will always return on a short rest. Then you have the level 10 ability that says when a creature that is cursed by Hexblade curse HITS you, roll a d6 and you have a 50% chance to change that to a miss. The level 14 ability to always use your Hexblade curse makes it the strongest wedlock ability in the game. Not only that but if you take superior pact weapon, and lifedrinker, you will have +17 damage on every melee attack on your cursed targets.

Kojak_3

First Post
Hm, that's interesting, I hadn't considered that angle but I will build that out real quick so that I can look at the two side by side and see how they stack up.

Kojak_3

First Post
Not only that but if you take superior pact weapon, and lifedrinker, you will have +17 damage on every melee attack on your cursed targets.

How did you get to +17? I built this out and only came up with +12...where are you getting the other 5 damage from? I'm just trying to reverse-engineer this to see what I missed, and I'm not seeing it.

neogod22

Explorer
How did you get to +17? I built this out and only came up with +12...where are you getting the other 5 damage from? I'm just trying to reverse-engineer this to see what I missed, and I'm not seeing it.
Cha bonus for damage +5, CHA bonus for Necrotic damage +5 (lifedrinker), +2 weapon damage (superior pact weapon), +5 weapon damage (Hexblade Curse)

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads