• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Help With Custom Feline Humanoid Race for Star Wars!

I need some help creating this. My friend wants to play one, and we can't come up with stats for one. I figured the great minds here could brew something pretty cool up, so I leave it to you guys/gals. Here is a desciption of what he is wanting:

The Kolranti are a Feline(cat) humanoid race. They posess many of their ancestors' evoloutionary adaptations (such as speed, grace, and highly attuned senses). They still harbor some of their ancestors' wild instincts, but keep them well in check. An angered Kolranti, however, can be as dangerous as a similary agitated wookie. This is not due to raw strength, but to their speed and feroicity. Their claws are strong enough to mar durasteel, and they all posess a natural fighting abilty with them.

He also noted they have a weankess with their hightened agression.

Thanks for all help in advance.

Last edited:

queldonus

First Post
gretings all

hello, this is my first post. I'm the creator of the Kolranti (the feline species in question). i felt i should add a few things to clarify them.
Here's the revised edition.

The Kolranti are a Feline(cat) humanoid race. They posess many of their ancestors' evoloutionary adaptations (such as speed, grace, and highly attuned senses). They still harbor some of their ancestors' wild instincts, but keep them well in check. These wild instincts lead them to shy away from others outside their race, but will be friendly once they feel that they know an individual. An angered Kolranti, however, can be as dangerous as a similary agitated wookie. This is not due to raw strength, but to their speed and feroicity. Their claws are strong enough to mar durasteel, and they all posess a natural fighting abilty with them.
They keep current with the technology of the galaxy but live more or less without it, in harmony with the natural world around them. Though they may not use modern technology regularly, they do posess a solid understanding of it (they know what everyday items like blasters and scanners are and understand more complex tech like starships. they don't use technology out of convience, just when they really need to).

what i specifically want to stand out are the feline attributes (claws, senses, grace and speed, etc). i just don't think i can balance it well enough. i appreciate any help you can give.
PS feel free to e-mail me if you have a specific question

queldonus

First Post
hello?

either no one saw this or no one has any ideas. i'm thinking it got missed. maybe someone will see it this time

Mr Fidgit

First Post
just to start, how's this?

Kolranti

racial traits:

+2 Dex, -2 Cha
Kolranti base speed is 40 feet
Low-light vision
+2 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks
ability to rage

for the sake of 'balance' and keeping true to your write-ups, you could also include negatives to skills like repair*

i'd check the other races to see how natural weapons are presented*

(* - i don't have a SW book with me...)

do either of you want to post what you've come with?

Slightly unrelated

For whatever it may be worth, I seem to remember that there was more than one feline race created for the Star Wars RPG 2nd Edition. I can remember specifically that one was in the Corporate Sector Authority Sourcebook (it was the race of that cat woman and her cub that Han befriended in the Han Solo and the CSA trilogy). I'm also pretty sure there was at least one in an "Aliens" book (I'm not sure of the exact title, but is wasn't the Galaxy Guide) as well as probably one in the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook (which had a ton of races in it). If you could find them, I'm sure there are a number of conversion methods around that could apply without much difficulty.

It may be a little research to find them, but on the plus side, you could be sure to have a more "authentic" Star Wars race (if you consider any of the books "authentic")

ashava

First Post
The race from the CSA was called the Trianii. Here are a version of the d20 stats for them. Let it be known, however, these are not my stats. I believe I found them at swrpgnetwork.com, but I'm not sure.

Trianii

The Trianii evolved from feline ancestors, with semi-prehensile tails and sleek fur. They have a wide range of coloration. They have excellent balance, eyesight and hunting instincts. Trianii females are generally stronger, faster and more dextrous than the males, and their society is run by tribunals of females called yu'nar.

Trianii society is dominated by their religion. Most Trianii are active in the traditional faith of their family and religious figures are held in great regard. Tuunac, current prefect of the largest Trianii church, has visited several non-Trianii worlds to spread their message of peace.

Trianii are an independent and self-reliant people, exploring and settling no less than six additional worlds (including Brochiib, Pypic, Ekibo, and Fibuli). Their territory is near the Corporate Sector and the CSA has on many occasions attempted to take control of Trianii colonies. The Trianii Rangers, the independent space force of the Trianii people, have fought the CSA on many occassions and a full-scale war may soon start because of the Authority's annexation of Fibuli. The Empire has avoided the conflict thus far.

Personality: Independent, self-reliant, religious

Physical Description: Felinoid bipeds with a semi-prehensile tail and claws. They generally stand between 1.5 and 2.2 meters in height.

Homeworld: Trian.

Language: Trianii, Basic.

Example Names: Keeheen, Paaka, Atuarre

Adventurers: Many Trianii adventurers are Scouts or Fringers. Trianii Rangers are often encountered off-world working in a law enforcement, patrol, and space defense role.

Medium-size. As Medium-size creatures, Trianii have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Trianii base speed is 10 meters.

Naturally Acrobatic. Trianii receive a +4 species bonus on Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks. Additionally, Trianii can use the Tumble skill untrained (0 skill ranks).

Claws. Trianii do an additional +1 damage per unarmed strike, or +2 when they take the Martial Artist feat.

Prehensile Tail. The Trianii have limited use of their tails. They have enough control to move light objects (under 3 kg in weight), but the control is not fine enough to move heavier objects or perform fine manipulation (for example, to aim a weapon). However, Trianii can take an extra melee attack per round if they take the Martial Arts feat. The Trianii can use their tail to make a knock-down or trip attack, as defined in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, or to strike for 1d3 points of damage, plus any Strength bonus the Trianii receives.

Automatic Languages: Trianii, Basic.

queldonus

First Post
thanks

my group had exactally what you did with two exceptions, one being what to apply the penealty to, the other being the rage part. i think it as a flying furball of claws, so the Wookie rage wouldn't be appropriate. it's harder to get a Kolranti that mad than it is a Wookie.
as for the claws, i was thinking 1d4, 19-20 critical. the damage would be linked to the characters hand to hand fighting skills (i don't know them all so i don't know what would be most appropriate) as the skill improved and the char leveled, the damage would go up.
i also thought that Scent was also appopriate to the species, but if i make that a default skill it may be too much.

any other suggestions out there?

and if anyone has those sourcebooks, please look of the species stats. it'd help a lot.

Remove ads