Need help with third tier progression of Fighter/Warlock/Sorcerer mage tank

For my mage tank, I went with VHuman Fighter 1/Fiend Tomelock 3/Red Draconic Sorc 6 in that order of level progression so far, with plans to take 10 more Sorc levels. I took the Mobile feat to mitigate the speed penalty, so that I could dump Str and have Dex 14 for better initiative. The pseudo-Disengage also helps out for when enemies get too close with a +1 Rapier-using GFB. Otherwise, I'm rocking my +2 RoPK and Hex+Eldritch Spamming, with the occasional Quickened Scorching Ray for beefier opponents. Before taking the bonuses from my magic items into consideration, I'm at 21 AC with plate, shield, and Defense FS. Factor in the Cloak of Protection that I traded for and the +1 on my shield, I'm at 23 AC. Once I DM 7 DDAL/DDEX modules this season, I'll grab a Ring of Protection and be up to 24 AC.

Now that I've got Elemental Affinity, I'm debating on what I should do for 11th-13th levels. Should I stay the course of my original level progression posted above or take more levels of Warlock? The former keeps me on track for capping out at 8th level Sorc spells at 19th level, granted that most of the spells that I'm taking via Sorc are non-concentration utility spells. The latter caps me at 7th level Sorc spells and 13 SP per long rest at 20th level but bumps my Warlock slots to 3rd level (yielding 2 more SP per short rest), increases Fireball DC +2 by taking the Warlock version, gives me another Eldritch Invocation (Devil's Sight), and grants the extra 1d10 per short rest on an ability check (initiative, which is currently +4) or saving throw (Dex/Wis/Int, which are currently +2/+1/+1 but will be +3/+2/+2 by end of season) via Dark One's Own Luck.

famousringo

First Post
Yeah, that Rod of the Pact Keeper really changes the game. Makes it seem pointless to cast any attack/debuff spell as a sorcerer.

That being said, I'd want to grab just one more level of sorcerer first to get Polymorph. It's a buff, it's a debuff, it's a utility spell... you can even Twin it to buff and debuff at the very same time. It can do it all and do it with a big duration.

Not a big fan of Polymorph for this PC. The character plays more like a magical Tony Stark, using more tool-like spells and being an armored blast cannon. He also can play the party face with relative ease.

Remove ads