• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need high-level psion help...

Jeremy

Explorer
So we blew it. Underestimated the big bad and he handed us our livers on gold platters.

Two of us were banished to another plane, two of us were instantaneously slain, one of us was beaten to death, and the other swore allegiance.

Not pretty.

Well here we are 4 years later or so, and the two banished heroes have fought their way back to their plane and even managed to make some new allies. The resourceful rogue who switched sides has managed to distance himself from his "ruler" and has achieved a position of power somewhat separate from him... And the good guys are coming back.

Unfortunately, I was the recipient of a very high level destruction spell, so I need someone who can hack with these big boys right outta the box.

We've got an enchantress capable of 7th level magicks, a troll fighter of 35+ strength, a 10'6" titantic lizardman paladin with full plate mithral spiked armor and 30 strength, and ..... me.

The DM cooked up a very intricate and fun plot hook and left the rest to me, but I'm somewhat at a quandary as to how to live up to the expected company. Two of the characters I will be joining are hard-earned living legends in our world, and all of them kick serious booty and are determined not to make the same mistake twice..

Me, I'm going to be a 13th level telepath. Help me match up to these guys...

I'm using If Thoughts Could Kill so I've got two secondary disciplines as well as my primary. I've got an earring +6 of charisma, bracers of command +1 (+4 competence to charisma), an earring of psionic might, and a telepathic psionatrix.

So far I think I'm going with the following powers..

6- Mass Suggestion, Astral Construct VI
5- Mind Probe, Sending, Teleport
4- Mindwipe, Tailor Memory, Telekinesis, Polymorph Self
3- Charm Monster, Lesser Domination, Schism, Remote View
2- Brain Lock, Chameleon, Animal Affinity, Control Air, Ectoplasmic Coccoon

But the DM has alotted me around 62,000 more gold pieces with which to match up with and I'm low on ideas today.

Not to mention feats and strategems.. Hard to just jump into a character so far into his development. What do you think guys? How should I work this character's mechanical side?

Ventifus

First Post
While it is a bit cheesy, you might want to seriously consider being polymorphed nearly continuously. Since you've got a 13-hour poly self going, select a couple forms before hand to fill a couple categories: mobility, melee, defense, utility, etc. Remember that a psion dosn't necessarily need hands, though a voice is helpful (or just get an item that lets you communicate telepathically.) Though, if you can squeeze it in, get Metamorphosis instead, because you can become an object (and still cast spells!)

Dispel Magic... er, "Negate Psionics" can also be very useful since you can cast it many, many times per day. At 13th level, you have enough PPs to feasibly "take 20" on the dispell and batter down a 20th caster level spell. When I played a Telepath, this was my most used spell, believe it or not.

Time Hop is pretty useful too for breaking up groups, etc.

As has been noted before, Crisis of Breath with Brain Lock is usually fatal. Also, Fatal Attraction is pretty gross since it is (essentially) save-or-die.

Schism is nice, but I don't know how useful it really is. Maybe you can just get an item that does it for 10 rounds like boots of speed.

You've already got the de riguer mind-games spells, those look fine.

I'm not sure about Chameleon since Invisibility is the same level, and has the same duration (??!!).

Feats: I don't really know. Armor profs might be nice, get some swanky ferroplasm mail or something. Psychoanalyst/Psychic Inquisitor is pretty standard issue on a telepath. Hide Power: Vi, Au and Ma (+2 points) might be good if you're going clandestine; the both-lobes-blazing technique dosn't really need them. Chain Power (+6 points) is pretty nice on things like Charm Person or Ecto Cocoon. If you're getting a lot of metamagic feats, consider Trancend Limits so you can meta- higher level spells.

P.s. And make sure you coordinate w/ that Enchanter you've got so there's only a minimum of overlap. Both of you having (e.g.) teleport isn't going to be too useful.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
Funny you should mention continuous polymorph. I'm intending to be sneaky and ingratiate myself to the enchanter by offering myself as a strange magical mouse and talk to her as a familiar using lesser mindlink.

With hide power I'll be able to make some strange things happen without anyone noticing that I am the origin.

As for chameleon instead of invisibility, with the size bonus to hide, chameleon bonus to hide, dex bonus to hide, and being a non-threatening creature to begin with, I thought chameleon hiding would be less conspicuous than invisibility. And everyone and their pig can see invisibility some how. :) Seems to me.

Of course that still leaves me with 62,000 gp to spend...

Ventifus

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
As has been noted before, Crisis of Breath with Brain Lock is usually fatal.

Please tell me how. I really want to play a Telepath.

Sure thing. First of all, Crisis of Breath disrupts the autonomic breathing reflex. This means that the target must conciously will his lungs to breathe. Next, Brain Lock prevents the target from taking any concious actions. Ergo, the target cannot breathe, and suffocates.

Zhure

First Post
I want to second the notion that Chameleon is worthwhile. It's a hide bonus. See Invisible and it's ilk don't help to spot a Chameleon user. Also, Invisibility is negated by attacking and has to be recast. A Chameleon user can break line of sight and hide again without recasting.

Greg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads