• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need hints and ideas for my fighter

Manzotin

First Post
Hi pple!

I'm writing here seeking for an advice: how to progress my fighter\occult slayer past lvl 11. I've been looking for every source i could put my hands on, but still can't find a good idea. I'm not really looking for a min\max, i'm trying to keep a nice flavour without being just a bag of hit points on the battlefield.

I mean, actually Deckard (that's the name) it's a powerhouse, but i have a bad feeling for his future. Anyway, here's the build\bg , i will not dig every stat, just some important features.

- Deckard is fighter6/Occult5, LN, worship Tir.
- Our campaign is oriented vs devils, mages and golems.
- Decky is a dex\combat ref\trip\polearm fighter. I got the familiar weapon feat from UA, so weapon is intelligent. BTW, i still cant' find a way to role this well.
- Deck has not CHA bonus, but +2 INT and WIS
- He's a member of the baldur's gate Flaming Fist, and the group menaged to get possess of a tavern and a mine. We're called "the Mithrilliacs" what a name ffs....
- Books we can use: all base, "comlpete"s and FRs. no PHB2. Probably fiend folio\fiendish codexes too.

I would not to point in an arcane or divine direction. I mean, i play the fighter because i like tricks and movements, like in a chess game. But i realize in the following levels i could be an easy target if i can't find some nice advancement, expecially in an hard campaign (devils, golems and mages are not an easy combination to beat).

Ideas i got so far:

- Paladin: would be nice, but not CHA bonus is going to hurt.

- Warblade (from ToB). Not an easy way, because my DM is not looking well against new books in an already book intensive campaign. BUT this could be really nice.

- Abjurant champion. i stay within my bg, cause deck has some magical knowledges, due to his occult slayer pr and his experience. It's good, not unbalanced, but i'm not really convinced.

- Knight of the Chalice. Entering as a cleric, balanced choice. But still, mysticism is not really for him.

- Ranger... ?

And this is it.

Waiting for your brainstorm! :devil:
Manzo

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First, see if you can use DCv1- the Dragon hardcover has lots of polearm feats.

Second, look into the CompWar Kensai: you probably meet all of the prereqs and the class' weapon boosting and Str boosting are nice. The only question is whether it's abilities work with your weapon (I believe they would).

Third, Oriental Adventures (updated to 3.5 in Dragon#317 by it's writer) contains the Shou Disciple and the Shiba Protector. The former is a 5-level monkish PrCl that makes your PC into an armored FoBer with all weapons; the latter gives a Wis bonus to all attacks & damage.

Fourth, as for RPing the weapon:
  1. Think about what the weapon wants. If it has a strong goal, it will chatter about that.
  2. Think about sidekicks: some are like cheerleaders, others are like sycophants, and some are like the little angel- or devil!- that sits on your shoulder
  3. Think about it being a conduit for spirits, helpful or critical, stupid or smart, etc. This could mean that when the weapon talks, you "see" the spirit in question.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What feats do you have?

Would it be possible to join the Zhentarim? I don't know much about FR, suppoedly the Zhentarim are evil, but if you can pull it off as a "former member" or "bad guy helping the good guys because the world's in danger," or so forth, there are very nice Fighter boons available (download the link, alt. class is in there). It would give you some handy Intimidation uses to further your battlefield control ability. If so, go to Fighter 9, 10 if you absolutely need the bonus feat, then jump to Warblade.

That is the extent of my FR-specific helpful knowledge. Whether you use that or not, you really should see if you can use ToB, Warblade is awesome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good question!

Personally, if you want to go the Full Monty on a reach weapon, Combat Reflexes is just the start: Hold the Line, Stand Still and Deft Opportunist are all on my list.

For many reach weapons Power Attack/Cleave, etc. work well.

If you go Kensai, Combat Expertise is a prereq, but has it's own advantages.

Last edited:

Manzotin

First Post
Hei thx for all the feedback! You know, when staring at something for too much you enter a sorta of "tunnel thinking" not easy to come out. I really appreciated all the comments.

Sadly i cannot join the Zenth, we had some troubles with them AND they use to kill childs\rape moms\slave fathers and all that kind of sweeties.. all in all our group is not THAT bad. But i do agree Zenth rocks.

Neither Kensai is an option.. Banned (as Divine Metamagic is) by our master.

Anyway, feats are:
Weapon focus (guisarme), PowAttack
Combat Reflex, Expert Tactician
Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip
Mage Slayer, Imp. Initiative
Familiar Object (if that's the name)

For future feats: yeah, i was looking at deft opportunist and other combat ref feats. But isn't StandStill a psion feat wich requires to have "psion points" pool?

Btw i menaged to get DCv1 and Oriental adventures.. i know what to read tonight ;)

Dandu

First Post
Well, I can certainly how the two are on the wait, what?

Hei thx for all the feedback! You know, when staring at something for too much you enter a sorta of "tunnel thinking" not easy to come out. I really appreciated all the comments.

Sadly i cannot join the Zenth, we had some troubles with them AND they use to kill childsrape momsslave fathers and all that kind of sweeties.. all in all our group is not THAT bad. But i do agree Zenth rocks.

Anyway, feats are:
Weapon focus (guisarme), PowAttack
Combat Reflex, Expert Tactician
Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip
Mage Slayer, Imp. Initiative
Familiar Object (if that's the name)

For future feats: yeah, i was looking at deft opportunist and other combat ref feats. But isn't StandStill a psion feat wich requires to have "psion points" pool?
No.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be 100% clear: despite appearing in the Psi book (and one other place, as I recall), Stand Still is a general feat.

Remove ads