• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need hints and ideas for my fighter

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To each his own, but after a while of hating the 3.5Ed weapon size rules, I got a RW lesson in why they were better.

I own a real Scottish boot-knife and a scale replica miniature of a museum's basket-hilted sword that are identical in length. In 3Ed, the knife could be used as a 2 handed weapon by a smaller creature, and I could use the replica sword as a dagger.

Except that, examining the two side by side, it is patently ridiculous.

To a smaller creature, using my knife would be like fighting with a sawed-off caber. The handle is half the weapon's length. The blade's handle is as thick as a couple of my fingers. The blade itself is 1" wide at it's widest.

In contrast, the scale replica's hilt is so small I can pinch it in between by thumb and index finger, and is maybe 1/3" long. Were I to grip it like my knife, most of my hand would be gripping naked, edged steel- a problem if this were a real weapon. In addition, the blade itself is only 1/4" wide at it's broadest- IOW, one quarter the width of the boot dagger.

IOW, while 3Ed says they should be the same weapon, they most definitely are not.

anest1s

First Post
I own a real Scottish boot-knife and a scale replica miniature of a museum's basket-hilted sword that are identical in length. In 3Ed, the knife could be used as a 2 handed weapon by a smaller creature, and I could use the replica sword as a dagger.

Except that, examining the two side by side, it is patently ridiculous.

To a smaller creature, using my knife would be like fighting with a sawed-off caber. The handle is half the weapon's length. The blade's handle is as thick as a couple of my fingers. The blade itself is 1" wide at it's widest.

In contrast, the scale replica's hilt is so small I can pinch it in between by thumb and index finger, and is maybe 1/3" long. Were I to grip it like my knife, most of my hand would be gripping naked, edged steel- a problem if this were a real weapon. In addition, the blade itself is only 1/4" wide at it's broadest- IOW, one quarter the width of the boot dagger.

IOW, while 3Ed says they should be the same weapon, they most definitely are not.

Wait, you can use a small guisarme, with a -2 because of different size. But you would have to use it with both hands.

For your example, if you had a very small replica of a greatsword (I have one envelope opener like that) with two hands makes more sense than using it with one....

Now, I won't argue that a fine greatsword is the same as a dagger...but the fact that I have to use two hands to use a fine greatsword is somewhat...strange.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wait, you can use a small guisarme, with a -2 because of different size. But you would have to use it with both hands.

No, I'm saying 3.5Ed MG is silent on anything but oversized weapons, and those it says it doesn't change the effort of use for. Thus, I wouldn't let it change the effort required to change the effort for properly sized weapons.

Actually, I think the rule is that beyond 2 size categories away from yours, you can't use it as a weapon at all.

Edit: looked it up.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

So, as you drop the weapon size vis a vis the intended user size, it does get easier to use.

So a guisarme one size down would be usable one handed, doing damage like a short sword, but with -2 to hit...and no reach. Drop it another size, and it's a light weapon with -4 to hit and doing dagger damage. Beyond that, though, it's not usable.

Last edited:

Manzotin

First Post
The Monkey Grip snitch seems nice.. but if i can menage to convince my DM about it, no doubt i'll lose the benefits of a 2handed weapon: substantial dmg increase with str 1.5 and double p.attack. BUT i could use a shield, and that's awesome... I have think about it, really big potential. With a Variable enchant, i could adjust my tactic round by round.

By now, i'm oriented in getting one or two monk levels (maybe cobra style from UA, wich replaces first and second bonus talents with Dodge\Mobility) and then getting into the Shou disciple - which is not from OA but from UEast... i won't get troubles about it with my DM.

Another option i saw today it's Justiciar: mages and evil outsiders don't use to heal themselves so often, so nonlethal damage could be a viable bonus. The image of the prc is cool too, another bonus ;)
What do you think about it?

EDIT: i looked at the binding enchant and it never really convinced me. I usually menage, via readied action, to stop a casting when i feel it coming. The 1.5m step you can do within a readied action really helps.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads