• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need hundreds of feathers to make arrows

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I'm playing a 15th-level druid as part of a party in a 3.5 campaign. I have been tasked with obtaining hundreds – if not thousands – of bird feathers so that a small town can mass produce arrows to defend against a small army. Assuming that it would be difficult to purchase the necessary quantities, and that I have a little over two weeks to obtain as many feathers as I can, what possible methods could I use? I was born a gnome, but was recently reincarnated as a pixie. Also in the party are a wizard, bard, paladin, rogue, and cleric.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Plucking alive or dead wouldn't matter much - the feathers should still disappear when the duration ends.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
What about spamming baleful polymorph? You could turn all sorts of critters - mice, snails etc... - into chickens (assuming chicken feathers work for arrows). At 15th-level you should be able to spam that quite a bit each day.

Also, at 15th-level you can cast control winds with enough power to cause tornado force winds over a massive area. (By the way, that's the only spell you need to destroy a small army. Forget the feathers!) Would your DM allow you to use that to wipe out every bird within the spell's area of effect and bring their bodies to you? If he won't allow that, just tell him you wiped out his army using the same spell.

radja

First Post
wildshape into a bird and provide the feathers yourself? To be honest, I'd do this the traditional way: have the town's kids collect feathers and bring them to you. Shouldn't take them more than 2 or 3 days.

Stormonu

Legend
If you can't find birds, consider using leaves or paper. You simply need something thin and slightly flexible to stabilize the arrow's flight; feathers are just the traditional item to use, not mandatory. (Heck, you could leave the feathers off entirely, but that will greatly decrease range - you're basically making the bows into spearchuckers).

Quickleaf

Legend
The European way: buy several whole dead geese at the market for chump change, or go out geese hunting.

The American way: shoot or barter for a couple big bull turkeys.

The Hawaiian way: make a sticky paper trap for little birds around a lure/feeder, then once they're trapped pluck only a few feathers from each one, then let them go. Repeat. A lot.

Remove ads