• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need some class suggestions/builds, evil DM.

Malkur

First Post
So, I joined a new group this past weekend and sort of as a right of passage all new players to his group are treated like they got a cloud of death over their head.

Which in this case is all of us; since its a new group completely except for one fellow.

So, I was wondering if someone could help me make a stupid OP build; but sadly only at level 6. I'm not very good at power gaming, otherwise I'd do it myself.

All official source books are game, any third party are not.

Alexander123

First Post
Druid is a great suggestion, I would play a human for the bonus feat although if your DM allows you an uber race such as anthromorphic animals then by all means take that.

Get a fleshraker dinosaur from MM3 as an animal companion. (riding dog at level 1, fleshraker at level 4)

For feats I would take:

1: Improved Initiative (Human)
1: Ashbound (Eberron Campaign Setting)
3: Initiate of Nature (Players Guide to Faerun)
6: Natural Spell
9: Extend Spell
12: Quicken Spell
15: Extra Spell (giant size)
18: Persistent Spell

Also check this guide for Druids out The Druid Handbook.

Last edited:

Nomnath

First Post
I like going sorceror with all power word spells in full plate and a tower shield, get silent spell and still spell too. It's all like hi i'm talking in character while i'm casting silent power word pain, ok, now run, expiditious retreat, 1 min later, all dead.

Grab a level in archivist too to scribe holy scrolls, then take geometer 2/3 (whichever level gives the glyphs also take the feat that allows you to prepare spells around this level) and ride out on initiate of the sevenfold veil asap. Might as well put the last several levels in dweomer keeper for 2-3 free wishes at the end.

Dandu

First Post
I like going sorceror with all power word spells in full plate and a tower shield, get silent spell and still spell too. It's all like hi i'm talking in character while i'm casting silent power word pain, ok, now run, expiditious retreat, 1 min later, all dead.
That seems a remarkably inefficient use of 3rd level spell slots.

Nomnath

First Post
That it is, but at the same time it allows you to basically solo anything with less than 100 hp. Since you give no warning of what you're doing, and since you have no components you can cast PW:p from hiding or really as any kind of surprise attack (acting before or even without having to roll initiative is beautiful). You don't have to cast exp retreat unless it hits the fan, and since you're a sorc you can decide on the fly although at the cost of a turn, though you can retreat without warning. Also since you're casting dps spells without any components, in a group you can pretend to be cowering ineffectively behind your tower shield (ineffectively b/c you're not breaking los and not providing cover for self) and pretend to be just a no threat fighter that's freaking out and therefore no threat and therefor won't be attacked by intelligent enemies. If the enemy is not intelligent, then you look like a tin can and the other squishies look more tasty. And if the enemy is a magic hunter, then you aren't as obvious as say the druid next to you.

Overall it provides a safe way for your character to dish out the damage (PW:p is horribly OP if you let it run its course) without the enemy noticing at all. Even as you level up, you still retain battle usefulness as many the word spells are some kind of disable or harrassment.

Also word spells have no save... none, at all. PW:p is basically a die spell on anything with less than 100 hp, no save no save no save.

Also it's 2nd level, those are 1st lvl spells i mentioned and silent spell is only lvl +1, as is still spell.

By the time you are regularly fighting things with over 100 hp you should have like 5th level spells at which point you're throwing big spells around like still still phantasmal killer, still ennervation, shout and still wall of fire/ice. And even then the party only has to drop the enemy to less than 100 hp at which point you are free to PW:p it once or twice and retreat and wait a min.

The build is OP b/c you're a sorc in plate and tower shield, slinging an undetectable version of a very powerful no save damage spell. At low levels you basically can take your sweet time and pronounce something dead. And at higher levels you effectively reduce the amount of time in combat until really high levels, at which point, you've taken levels in initiate of 7 and dweomerkeeper. Oh and w/ a lvl in archivist all spells are on your list for the purpose of items except artificer crafted ones.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
The build is OP
Stop. Right there.

[sblock]
At low levels you basically can take your sweet time and pronounce something dead.[/quote]Here's the spell.
POWER WORD PAIN
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-
Affecting]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature with 100 hp or less
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
A word you speak causes continuing pain to your target.
You utter a single word of power that instantly deals 1d6 points of damage to one creature of your choice, and
another 1d6 points in every round thereafter for as long as the spell lasts. The duration of the spell depends on
the target’s current hit point total, as shown below. Any creature that currently has 101 or more hit points is
unaffected by power word pain.
Hit Points | Duration
50 or less | 4d4 rounds
51–75 | 2d4 rounds
76–100 | 1d4 rounds[/sblock]
At level 4, you will face CR 4 monsters. Let's take a Giant Crocodile, with 59 hp. You'll deal 1d6*7 damage, or 24.5 on average, over time with one casting. It will take 3 castings to finish it off, so the only second level spell slot you're left with is the one you get from high CHA.

You have to be with in 25 ft +5 ft/2 levels to cast it. That's 35 feet at level 4 if I'm not mistaken. You obviously can't run away after casting it since applying metamagic to a spell turns it into a full round action, so you are open to retaliation. Since a giant crocodile has a movement speed of 20 ft, it charge, double move, or run to cover distances of 40, 40, and 80 feet respectively. This make casting Expeditious Retreat and running away very difficult.

Best case scenario? You start off 35 feet away, cast Power Word: Pain, and run for it having cast Expeditious Retreat the previous round. You are now 80 feet away. Crocodile runs 80 feet and since it has a reach of 10 feet, it is in position to threaten you. This is a problem.

I'm not cherry picking monsters. Pretty much anything that is a CR appropriate melee creature is going to laugh at your attempts to annoy it to death and murder you.

And at higher levels you effectively reduce the amount of time in combat until really high levels
At CR 8, you already start seeing monsters with more than a hundred HP, such as the Dire Tiger, Elder Arrowhawk, T-rexes, Gargantuan Spiders...

Even at level 6, you'll be facing things like 7 headed Hydras (fast healing!), Chain Devils (regeneration!), Annis Hags (SR!), Girallion (fast movers)...

This isn't even factoring in all the undead this game has which are flat out immune to Power Words.

In short, I do not think you have thought your cunning plan all the way through. A full plate, tower shield, silent Power Word: Pain build is not "OP" between the levels of 4, when it comes online, and 8, when it becomes obsolete. It does not solo enemies well, nor does it effectively contribute to a party as well as a sorcerer who is able to cast the highest level spells available to him and buff his friends, debuff his enemies, and have a lasting, immediate effect on the battlefield.

Last edited:

Eman Resu

First Post
do you want melee prowess?
do you want a skill junky?
or do you just want to make as overpowered a pc as possible at 6th level?

melee: look into fighter, barbarian, or CW classes like ?swordsage?
rogue and or scout, 6th level scout is pretty solid
at 6th level and beyond Cleric, Psion, heck you could even combine them and go Psychic theurge, but as 99% of the people here will tell you "never give up spell progression", Psions are allowed to wear armor = nice

eman resu

Remove ads