D&D 5E Need to roll a new character, looking for suggestions.

I am learning about the options for Archery and I am liking what I see.. once I nail down a class or classes I hope you guys come back to point me to the best race to go with it

MDragonG

Explorer
I am learning about the options for Archery and I am liking what I see.. once I nail down a class or classes I hope you guys come back to point me to the best race to go with it

If your are going archer any race with a +1 or 2 Dex is a great choice, the secondary stat depends on your class, if ranger you want wis, if bard you want cha if rogue depends, Fighters can make excellent archers too and they get +2 to ranged attacks and lots of them.

famousringo

First Post
Yes the leaving Warlock was a Blade Pact one with a +2 Maul as his Pact weapon.. and he still had a 20 CHR (16 STR)

Sorcerer is a possibility. Not sure how much chaos I might cause throwing all that AoE in with all the melee characters in the group.

If you want to drop boomboom into a heavy melee, go with evoker wizard for sculpt spell. Sorcerers are better buffer/debuffers than they are blasters.

That being said, your group looks like it could use some control, and nobody does save or suck like a wild sorcerer.

OK here are the possible builds:

Eldritch Knight (Variant Human?)
Assassin (Not sure??)
Stormborn Sorcerer (using the Sorcerous Origin: Storm from UA: Waterborn article) (Genasi maybe??)

possible to multiclass the EK with the rogue Assassin, if it is worth it?

Starting level = 8
stats as I rolled them: 11, 11, 12, 14, 13, 16

Obviously Dex/Int for the first two builds, Chr for the last.

Maybe dip into Druid or Monk with the Sorcerer?

Ideas? Suggestions?

bid

First Post
Starting level = 8

Ideas? Suggestions?
Things you missed:

= Wood elf hunter 5 / AT 3 - 11 18 14 11 14 12
You are short on skill monkey, this one has 8 skills and 2 expertise. Grab crossbow expert for 4d6+16+2d6. Or live dangerously with SS and 3d8+42+2d6.

= Half-elf lore bard 8 - 11 16 14 12 12 16+2
Full caster skill monkey, take it if the paladin doesn't play "face". ASI on Cha and inspiring leader.

= Mountain dwarf wizard 8 - 14 13 16 16+4 11 11
Medium armor for free. ASI on Int.

Things you mention:

I don't see any good cantrip for EK 7 war magic. I love EK in melee with BB/GFB but nothing for archers. Using battlemaster to redirect those missing SS shot is about the only useful thing to assist archer combat.

Assassin is overrated. Mastermind ranged help is the lazy way to increase DPR.

The official storm sorcerer is in SCAG. If you can get UA bonus spells, good. Again, MC sorcerer is mostly melee buffing. Swashbuckler with BB cheese or monk/druid, none of it gives anything at range.

Now, it all depends on what RP concept you want. Getting a more "ranged" character than a warlock is hard.

Last edited:

Flavian

First Post
Multi classing EK and Assassin should be very viable, however I don't know enough about EK to say.

A really fun and effective Assassin class is Halfling. The bonuses are just what you need and being small is also amazing.

For Sorcerer, Half-elf and Tiefling are great classes, and Tieflings are always fun to play.

MDragonG

Explorer
OK here are the possible builds:

Eldritch Knight (Variant Human?)
Assassin (Not sure??)
Stormborn Sorcerer (using the Sorcerous Origin: Storm from UA: Waterborn article) (Genasi maybe??)

possible to multiclass the EK with the rogue Assassin, if it is worth it?

Starting level = 8

Obviously Dex/Int for the first two builds, Chr for the last.

Maybe dip into Druid or Monk with the Sorcerer?

Ideas? Suggestions?

I personally would not dip monk or druid with sorc. Way to MAD. You will want Cha, Dex, and Con already with the sorc. adding wanting Wis also is a bit much.

WIth your stat rolls going sorc (any) i would go Str11, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 16. For VHuman you go +1Con and +1Cha.

Now if you go Half Elf you would end up with +1Dex +1COn and +2 Cha for these stats, 11 Str, 15 Dex, 14 Con, 11 Int, 12 Dex and 18 Cha.

Things you missed:

= Wood elf hunter 5 / AT 3 - 11 18 14 11 14 12
You are short on skill monkey, this one has 8 skills and 2 expertise. Grab crossbow expert for 4d6+16+2d6. Or live dangerously with SS and 3d8+42+2d6.

= Half-elf lore bard 8 - 11 16 14 12 12 16+2
Full caster skill monkey, take it if the paladin doesn't play "face". ASI on Cha and inspiring leader.

= Mountain dwarf wizard 8 - 14 13 16 16+4 11 11
Medium armor for free. ASI on Int.

Things you mention:

I don't see any good cantrip for EK 7 war magic. I love EK in melee with BB/GFB but nothing for archers. Using battlemaster to redirect those missing SS shot is about the only useful thing to assist archer combat.

Assassin is overrated. Mastermind ranged help is the lazy way to increase DPR.

The official storm sorcerer is in SCAG. If you can get UA bonus spells, good. Again, MC sorcerer is mostly melee buffing. Swashbuckler with BB cheese or monk/druid, none of it gives anything at range.

Now, it all depends on what RP concept you want. Getting a more "ranged" character than a warlock is hard.

I had not considered a skill monkey because so far it really hasn't been required. Those numbers make it tempting for crossbow though.

You missed that the Paladin is a corpse. he hasn't been very good at being the party face since he has been stuffed in a bag of holding rotting. Monk insists on being the face, despite having no real ability there.

Dwarf Wizard is just so tempting because it was not possible for so long.. but then that whole spellbook thing.

I don't yet know all the details, I am reading a EK build guide on another post.
Assassin is overrated huh? I haven't read anything on it yet, it seemed like a potential to slip in and out of the shadows for burst damage.

Argh I had no idea they published it in that book. I'll have to have the GM send me the details to decide.

I'm open to LOTS of RP ideas.. I'm trying to find mechanics that will help me fit into the group, then I will make the RP to match it.

I wasn't trying to get "more ranged" than a Warlock.. the reason the Warlock left the group was completely RP, and nothing mechanic. I actually love the character, but there was a situation with the party that made him feel he needed to pursue his goals separate from that crazy elven monk.

and let's face it, the Warlock was CrAzY and HE thought the monk was bonkers.. LOL

Technically I only need Chr for Sorc.. the Dex and Con you suggest it a want for every character really.. a nice to have, but can make it with lower stats. The Monk idea I had to splash in was because the Sorc was going to be Stormborn Origin Genasi.. and the Way of the Elements would have given me another RP element to blend into the character, plus some added bonuses like extra AC, extra "spells" as Ki spenders.. I know the stats I rolled are less than ideal, but they aren't bad either.

Remove ads