Needed strategies for taking on Kerzit

Tevyn

First Post
Quartz said:
Have you considered that you might not have to fight Kerzit? That there might be a way of getting round the demon without fighting it?

knowing our drawf and wizard, there really isn't an option. I'm sure we are going to battle. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
if you have access to Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, i think there are suggested tactics for fighting demons in there aren't there? of course, Kerzit is one of the more powerful ones...

frog

Explorer
I just finished talking to Tevyn. She said that they survived by running away. The dwarf charged and was promptly smacked for about 80 hp of dmg before they decided it was time to give this another thought...

frog

Explorer
After talking to the DM...Tevyn didn't quite give me the whole story.

Milo might be posting more later...suffice it to say that it was EEEEEEEEEVIL!!!

Milo Windby

First Post
What a Glorious Session!

Oh yes, it was eeeeeeeeeevil!

The players approached Kerzit's sizable cavern and decided to prep for battle right at the opening. Kerzit has excellent hearing and they were not trying to be quiet. With all of the havoc the players have been wreaking in the dungeon, he knew of them and planned accordingly. Kerzit initiated a demon cascade. By the end his army was 39 strong and included:
Kerzit
5 Glabrezus
8 Hezrous
4 Vrocks
21 Dretches

The DM screen hid my gleeful hand rubbing as I anticipated my player's reactions to the demon hoard.

The players were as follows:
6lvl fighter/9lvl dwarven defender
15lvl illusionist
6lvl mephit/9lvl sorceror
15lvl cleric
15lvl monk
15lvl rogue

They also had used Greater Planar Ally to summon an angel planetar who then summoned a guardinal leonal. They buffed as best as they could, then headed into the cavern.

The first thing they saw were the four vrocks. No big deal. The dwarven defender charged while the improved invisible rogue used sneak attack. A couple of players later, the dretches appeared. All the players groaned as I dumped 21 assorted miniatures on the table. They were relieved when I described the dretches. Nothing a couple of good area effect spells couldn't handle, right? Next Kerzit made his appearance. Since he loves to get his claws dirty, he waded right in. Then the glabrezus appeared. I only had two 15/15 miniatures, so I had to substitute coke cans for the other three (did you know that they fit in 15/15 squares perfectly?) After the glabrezus came the eight hezrous. The expressions of despair grew deeper and deeper as I introduced each group. It was lovely.

The party took out the vrocks pretty easily with the dwarven defender and rogue. The sorceror and wizard took out the dretches with their area effect spells. After killing a couple vrocks, the dwarven defender charged Kerzit! Ooohhh man, I don't think my smile could have been wider. Tevyn didn't get the damage right. Kerzit's first round of attacks on the dwarf totaled over 100 hp. The dwarf's player gave me a shell shocked look after I ran through Kerzit's quickened unholy blight, 2 claw attacks, 2 tentacle attacks, bite, rend, and the explanation about the abyssal wounds from the claws (-4 hp/round until healed DC 25 or cure spell DC 30 or 35, I forget.) When he has his defensive stance on, my dwarf's player is accustomed to repeated misses against his stratospherical AC. Kerzit hit every time.

That's when they voted to run.

The wizard TPed everyone but the sorceror and the rogue. The rogue was too far away, so the sorceror closed in and TPed the rogue out. I was truly amazed that they all made it out without a single fatality. They've run in the past, but usually only after one or two of them are dead already. In the end, they had killed the vrocks and most of the dretches but the glabrezus, hezrous, and Kerzit didn't have a scratch.

We game again this Saturday. Now that they've had a taste of Kerzit, I am eager to find out what they're going to do next. They're determined to take Kerzit out, so it should be fun.

Milo Windby

First Post
Wow.

No.

The party already had the angel's aura protecting them better than Magic Circle against Evil would. This high up MCaE really isn't that useful. Holy Aura is more effective since it blinds evil characters that hit with melee and fail the save, but that would barely slow Kerzit and his hoard down.

Remove ads