• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New +4 weapon enchantment: Venomous

Epametheus

First Post
What it does:
The weapon is imbued with the ability to make a poison attack 1/day. This attack is handled much like a Smite attack -- you declare it before you make the attack roll. If the attack hits and the victim is susceptible to poison, then the victim must make a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10 + the damage dealt by the attack (elemental, psionic, alignment-based, and bane damage does not count towards this); primary damage of the poison attack is 1d6 CON, and secondary damage is 1d6 CON; this is temporary stat damage.
Caster level: 12; Pre-requisites: Craft Arms & Armor, <i>poison</i>; Cost Adjustment: +4

Anyways, how does that look?

There is already a Venomous enchantment in Magic of Faerun, DC 14, usable 1/day with the effect of poison. It can be used after creature has been struck. +1 Enchantment, requires poison spell.

Epametheus

First Post
Hmmm...

Damn board ate my original post; someone really needs to fix whatever the heck is wrong with this thing.

Changes, then:
Name from Venomous to Virulent
Con damage: 1d6 to 1d10

Anyone have any suggestions for making this balanced as a +4 cost weapon enchantment?

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
a +4 enchantment, something as powerful as brilliant energy.

Whenever a foe is struck by this weapon they must make a fortitude save DC 16 or take 1 pt of temporary damage to each of St, Dx, and Cn.

Crothian

First Post
I think the DC of 10 + damage dealt makes it a +4 weapon. Place this on a greatsword and you can get that DC in the 30's.

Epametheus

First Post
hey, it lives

1/day, fixed DC, 2d4 damage to ALL stats and require Contagion to create it. Instant character nullifier.

That's a whole 'nother beast, right there... Actually, I'd say that's a +5 cost modifier, considering that it's not QUITE as bad as Vorpal or Coup De Grace. A lot probably depends on what that DC is fixed at...

Updated version:
Virulent: The weapon is imbued with the ability to make a poison attack 1/day. The usage of the power is decalred after a successful hit, but before damage dice are rolled. If the attack hits and the victim is susceptible to poison, then the victim must make a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10 + the damage dealt by the attack (elemental, psionic, alignment-based, bane damage, and the extra damage from a critical hit, Spirited Charge, Rhino Hide armor, and similar circumstances, does not count towards this); primary damage of the poison attack is 1d10 CON, and secondary damage is 1d10 CON; this is temporary stat damage.
Caster level: 12; Pre-requisites: Craft Arms & Armor, <i>poison</i>; Cost Adjustment: +4

The crits thing got put in after a friend pointed that out to me; while the point of this enchantment is that it'd actually work on a high-level character, being able to poison the Tarrasque (or gods(!)) is probably a bit much for a +4 enchantment.

Remove ads