D&D 4E New 4E: Divorcing Class and Role (and what is a controller?)

Xeviat

Hero
Some year I'll do this...some year. Maybe use the old Charop handbooks and cull everything down to 10ish powers per power source per level.

I'm planning something similar, only I think they could largely be Weapon vs Spell, rather than just power source; traditionally, there's some overlap between Arcane and Divine spells, so they might not have to be fully separated.

Would you like to collaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyvris

First Post
I'm planning something similar, only I think they could largely be Weapon vs Spell, rather than just power source; traditionally, there's some overlap between Arcane and Divine spells, so they might not have to be fully separated.

I like breaking powers down by weapon type almost, Kobold Press did something like that for 5e that was pretty neat. I would say have a chunk of generic (possibly weaker but similar) powers that can be used with any weapon would be good as well. My biggest push was to make most powers "mod vs def" instead of specifying, especially for attacks. Bring back the str/dex split for weapons and give certain classes the option of a different mod for attack only.

I certainly agree with magic being blended, though perhaps various "spell lists" might work well there to at least keep some of the more flavorful 4e powers.

Biggest issue I see is damage not scaling all that well between roles, but hey I rarely if ever track HP down to single points in my game as is.

Perhaps focusing on heroic tier as a first pass would be good.

Xeviat

Hero
Biggest issue I see is damage not scaling all that well between roles, but hey I rarely if ever track HP down to single points in my game as is.

Perhaps focusing on heroic tier as a first pass would be good.

I thinks damage scales just fine between roles. Strikers get a striker damage buff, and a focused leader will choose leader powers, and same for defenders and controllers. Opening things up means your role focuses your abilities, not determines all of them. It will be more classic, while still being defined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

One mans witch is an others sainted holy man... (usually his enemies).

Arguably the claim to heal has been seated in all forms of miracle working / all forms of magic.

Last edited:

Remove ads