• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

new 4E titles for Sept/Oct 2010

ggroy

First Post
Anybody know anything about these 4E D&D titles, scheduled for a Sept/Oct 2010 release (according to amazon.com)?

- "Rules Compendium: A 4th Edition Supplement"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Compendium-Supplement-James-Wyatt/dp/0786956216"]Amazon.com: Rules Compendium: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement (9780786956210): James Wyatt: Books[/ame]

- "Player's Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Players-Essentials-Heroes-Fallen-Supplement/dp/0786956208"]Amazon.com: Player's Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement (9780786956203): Mike Mearls: Books[/ame]

- "Dungeon Master's Kit: An Essential 4th Edition D&D Kit"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Masters-Kit-Essential-Edtion/dp/0786956305"]Amazon.com: Dungeon Master's Kit: An Essential 4th Edtion D&D Kit (4th Edition D&D) (9780786956302): Wizards RPG Team: Books[/ame]

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
What surprises me about the Rules Compendium and the Player's Essentials books is that if Amazon's information is accurate (and it usually is), these are massive paperbacks--320 for the RC, 352 for the PE--at a price point of $20 each.

However, the DM's Kit and the Gamma World book are listing as $40 each for 192 and 152 pages, so I'm guessing some wires got crossed.

EDIT: We also have a blurb with components listing for the Castle Ravenloft boardgame.

An exciting D&D™ boardgame for 1–5 players.

The master of Ravenloft® is having guests for dinner—and you are invited!

Evil lurks in the towers and dungeons of Castle Ravenloft™, and only heroes of exceptional bravery can survive the horrors within. Designed for 1–5 players, this boardgame features multiple scenarios, challenging quests, and cooperative game play.

Castle Ravenloft includes the following components:

• 40 plastic heroes and monsters
• 13 sheets of interlocking cardstock dungeon tiles
• 200 encounter and treasure cards
• Rulebook
• Scenario book
• 20-sided die

ggroy

First Post
What surprises me about the Rules Compendium and the Player's Essentials books is that if Amazon's information is accurate (and it usually is), these are massive paperbacks--320 for the RC, 352 for the PE--at a price point of $20 each.

Wonder if they will be printed in color on glossy paper, or will they do it on black and white greyscale on lower quality non-glossy paper.

ggroy

First Post

Examining the pagecounts more closely, the individual 4E PHB's have:

PHB1 = 320 pages
PHB2 = 224 pages
PHB3 = 224 pages

total PHB = 768 pages. (*)

Rules Compendium + Player's Essentials = 320 + 352 = 672 pages (**)

Difference between (*) and (**) = 96 pages.

I suppose consolidating the relevant content in the PHB's, may be able to save some space.

ggroy

First Post
Another point which can be raise is whether WotC's intentions are to have the upcoming 4E Rules Compendium and Player's Essentials books entirely replace the Player's Handbooks 1-2-3, and letting the 4E PHB1 + PHB2 + PHB3 hardcover books go out of print.

Remove ads