• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW (AGAIN)- Thunderspire Labyrinth- Stat analysis #25 Shrine to Baphomet

the Jester

Legend
H1 Keep on the Shadowfell
Encounter #12 Area 11 The Water Cave

Hurray! The Blue Slime! I love this encounter... :)

Comment: Yep. I should have parked the Blue Slime one square away from the shore and used the reach attacks, do you know why I didn't... No, neither do I. About thirty seconds after doing it, when Winstanly hit with his Sly Flourish, I realised my error- I didn't fancy asking for a do-over.

Do-overs are always a mistake imho. Besides, it isn't that smart anyway.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Hurray! The Blue Slime! I love this encounter... :)

Do-overs are always a mistake imho. Besides, it isn't that smart anyway.

Well I can absolutely confirm that the PCs do not (did not) like this encounter, see below.

Yeah, I don' t go for the do-overs either, I just figured when I shifted the Blue Slime, one space away... one space away, and despaired a little.

However then something strange happened, previously the noob players have been relying on James for insights into the beasts they've encountered along the way, just little things-

Kobolds... don't worry, they're easy to kill.

Goblins... sneaky buggers, but we'll take them down.

Skeletons... No problems, wade in there and smash them up people.

Generally James (previously McGyver, now playing Phrenic) had something to say about most of the creatures they have bumped into so far, always a little pick-me-up, something to make the rest of the PCs believe... even Irontooth was 'just a bloody Goblin.'

Then the Blue Slime came along and James wasn't sure what to tell them, I think he got confused somewhere between a Gelatinous Cube and a Black Pudding, either way the PCs, well... see for yourself.

Round #2.

Winstanley- Daily Trick Strike BS; Hit 11 damage (158 HP) & Slide into prime position for... Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Ready Action.

Grey- Magic Missile BS; Miss. Action Point- Action Surge +3 To Hit & Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage for total +5/+4. Ray of Frost BS; Miss.

Bugger! And the Wizard stomps off to the kitchen to slam the fridge door.

Kaspard- Sacred Flame BS; Crit 16 damage (142 HP) & Saving throw for Phrenic- Save vs ongoing Acid damage- Success. Move. Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Healing Strike BS; Miss. Healing Word +4 HP Phrenic (23 HP).

Dirty- Shift. Readied Action Winstanley Combat Advantage Sly Flourish BS; Hit 23 damage (119 HP) Back to Dirty- Combat Advantage Daily Brute Strike BS; Hit 24 damage (95 HP bloodied). Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Combat Advantage Spinning Strike BS; Hit 13 damage (82 HP bloodied) & Prone! Marked.

Can you knock an Ooze Prone- I guess so, or at least the equivalent, you should have heard the cheer when I said it was bloodied.

Phrenic- Leaf on the Wind Combat Advantage BS; Miss. Action Point. Daily Lead the Attack Combat Advantage BS; Hit 19 damage (63 HP bloodied) & all allies within 5 squares are +5 To Hit for Encounter vs BS (that's all of them).

BS- Stand. Slime Eruption all PCs; Hit all PCs except Grey- Dirty; Hit 10 Acid damage (22 HP) & Kaspard; Hit 10 Acid damage (19 HP) & Grey; Miss 5 Acid damage (21 HP) & Phrenic; Hit 10 Acid damage (13 HP bloodied) & Winstanley; Crit 12 Acid damage- Armour of Bahamut- reduced to 10 damage (20 HP). Action Point Slam Dirty; Miss & Slam Phrenic; Miss.

Double Bugger! And they didn't like it when I declared- 'Action Point'

Time to play 18 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP22/37)
Kaspard, Female Half-Elf Cleric of Bahamut 2 (HP19/31)
Winstanley Portico, Male Halfling Rogue 2 (HP20/30)
Grey Morlock, Male Human Wizard 2 (HP21/27)
Phrenic, Male Tiefling Warlord 2 (HP13/29)

Bad Guys 750XP Level 3 Encounter.
Blue Slime Level 3 Solo Brute [BS] (HP63/204)

Action Points 5 Total 5
Daily Powers 3 Total 3
Healing Surges 1 Total 1
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 1 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Action Points 1 Total 1

Comment: And for some reason (perhaps James/Phrenic not knowing quite how to play the creature) the Blue Slime really freaked them- I never said a thing, although I was toting a kind of mischievous/malicious grin. And then they went all out for their Daily Powers and Action Points, there was a little bit of chat and... WHAM! They really don't like Solo monsters it seems- personally I think the fact that four out of five of them were Dazed & Weakened in the surprise round, and the creature hadn't even surfaced yet- that got them panicked.

They even cheered when Kaspard hit with a Crit- a little subdued however, they really (really) wanted to end the thing this round.

Crap name- Blue Slime, lovely monster, although the PCs seem to be doing a job on him now.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Round #3.

Winstanley- Daily Bloodcut Armour Resist 10 All. Sly Flourish Combat Advantage BS; Hit 14 damage (49 HP bloodied). Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Positioning Strike Combat Advantage BS; Hit 13 damage (36 HP bloodied).

Grey- Ray of Frost BS; Hit 7 Cold damage (29 HP bloodied) & Slowed. Action Point- Action Surge +3 To Hit & Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage for total +5/+4. Ray of Frost BS; Hit 13 Cold damage (16 HP bloodied).

Kaspard- Shift back. Sacred Flame BS; Hit 5 Radiant damage (11 HP bloodied) & 4 Temp HP Phrenic. Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Channel Divinity. Sacred Flame BS; Hit 12 Radiant damage- DEAD.

Time to play 7 minutes.
Total time to play 39 minutes.

End of Combat-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP22/37)
Kaspard, Female Half-Elf Cleric of Bahamut 2 (HP19/31)
Winstanley Portico, Male Halfling Rogue 2 (HP20/30)
Grey Morlock, Male Human Wizard 2 (HP21/27)
Phrenic, Male Tiefling Warlord 2 (HP13/29)

Bad Guys 750XP Level 3 Encounter.
Blue Slime Level 3 Solo Brute [BS] (HP204) DEAD

Action Points 3 Total 8
Daily Powers 1 Total 4
Healing Surges 0 Total 1
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Action Points 0 Total 0

Comment: That was really odd- the PCs were so terrified of the the Blue Slime they fired off everything in one mad rush- unprompted I may add. There was some chatter but... Really odd, anyone ever experience something similar?

And having defeated the Blue Slime, and grabbed its treasure- another Potion of Healing, a Shield of Protection, and some more coin and a pair of notes- one of which points to a place called Thunderspire Labyrinth (H2), having done all that the PCs then decide to take their free rest I promised them for successfully clearing the caves here out. I... that is... they...

As Johnny Rotten once said, “ever get the feeling you've been cheated?” I've been conned, I of course intended for them to keep the free extended rest card I was offering in the bank, somewhere to run too when the going got rough, I never thought they would... Ah well.

Odd though that they've only managed to string together three encounters in a row so far, I'm going to have to push this along a bit, admittedly this has been the first time they could have attempted more encounters in a row before an extended rest.

Stats: Eight Action Points and four Daily Powers used in 4 turns of combat, actually the truth is in 2 turns of combat, the surprise round and turn #1 were Daily Power and Action Point free. PCs hitting at 80.95% (17 from 21 attacks), the Blue Slime just behind with 75% connection rate (9 from 12), the PC's dishing out on average 51.25 points of damage/turn, the Blue Slime only 16.75.

Longer turns to play out, the frenzy of turn 3 took 18 minutes to play- lots of dice rolls and powers spent. Kaspard lands her first Crit, in 78 turns played; Grey still hasn't found the '20'.

Combined Stats: All the PCs connection rates improve slightly, Turn #2 is stretching out its lead with, on average, 64.67 hit points damage done- it's definitely the moment the PCs put the foot on the gas, I guess the players figure out quite early on how the encounter is going to go- perhaps, and apply the pressure here.

The PCs have now completed 4 encounters as Level 2 PCs, none of which have been drag out fights like encounters #4 (Irontooth) & #8 (Balgron the Fat), time to play is less than the average for the 8 encounters they played as Level PCs.

Level 1 PC Encounters (8)- 7 turns, 53.5 minutes to play.
Level 2 PC Encounters (4)- 5.5 turns, 45.5 minutes to play.
Average for all Encounters (12)- 6.5 turns, 50.83 minutes to play.

Let's keep going with this, see where it gets to after the PCs complete all encounters at Level 2.

Note all of the PCs save Phrenic are one encounter away from having enough XP to Level up, that's come around very quickly, Phrenic probably needs two encounters more.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Encounter #13 Area 5 The Crypt of Shadows

And so after a wonderful nights sleep- damn them, the PCs rise and shine and head out to find another flight of stairs leading down- which they do in short order. However, they are again disappointed, at the bottom of the stairs are what looks to be a maze of flagged stone passages, and again no welcoming committee to which they can offer their hard-won password/phrase. There are some glowing things on the floor however, but they're a little way off.

Winstanley leads the PCs off, there's an opening to the south, which leads into... a chamber full of Zombies, which even as the PCs gawp, shamble forward to greet them.

I'm going to get my own back on them for conning me, just you wait and see.

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP37)
Kaspard, Female Half-Elf Cleric of Bahamut 2 (HP31)
Winstanley Portico, Male Halfling Rogue 2 (HP30)
Grey Morlock, Male Human Wizard 2 (HP27)
Phrenic, Male Tiefling Warlord 2 (HP29)

Bad Guys 880XP Level 4 Encounter.
Zombie Rotter Level 3 Minion [ZR] (x10) (HP1)
Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP40)

There are 5 Zombie Rotters and 2 Zombies in the chamber.

Initiative 29 Grey 17 Kaspard 15 Phrenic 11 Winstanley & Dirty 2 Zombies 1 Zombie Rotters

Bloody hell with my initiative.

Surprise round- Zombie move only, yeah- that's me getting my own back on the PCs

Z1-2- Move
ZR1-5- Move

None of the Zombies are close enough to get an attack in- yeah, that really showed the PCs who's boss around here.

Time to play 3 minutes including setting up of minis, and map.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP37)

Zombie Rotter Level 3 Minion [ZR] (x10) (HP1)
Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP40)

Action Points 0 Total 0
Daily Powers 0 Total 0
Healing Surges 0 Total 0
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 0
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0

Comment: I think this is going to be a massacre, and at 880 XP a very expensive, for me, massacre- can I not get my 880 XP back, I could buy another Blue Slime- that'd show them...

Last edited:

Sergeytov

First Post
I tried running zombies in a 10 foot corridor my last session too, and I hated it. Maybe my tactical mind wraps around it poorly, but corridors like that seem the worst place to put any amount of zombies if you plan on threatening PCs. The defender can easily hold an area, it seems and the rest can slaughter with range. Maybe a defender and a warlord forming a full line at one opint in the corridor.

...or maybe I ought to read the rules on grabbing again.

Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing how this one goes.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I tried running zombies in a 10 foot corridor my last session too, and I hated it. Maybe my tactical mind wraps around it poorly, but corridors like that seem the worst place to put any amount of zombies if you plan on threatening PCs. The defender can easily hold an area, it seems and the rest can slaughter with range. Maybe a defender and a warlord forming a full line at one opint in the corridor.

...or maybe I ought to read the rules on grabbing again.

Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing how this one goes.

Badly... for me.

Round #1.

Grey- Scorching Burst ZR1&4-5; Hit all- 9 Fire damage each- all DEAD.

Kaspard- Move. Sacred Flame Z1; Hit 11 Radiant damage + 5 (Vulnerable) = 16 damage (24 HP) & 4 Temp HP Dirty.

Phrenic- Move. Scorching Burst Z1-2 & ZR2-3; Hit all- ZR2-3; 6 Fire damage each- both DEAD; Z1; 6 Fire damage (18 HP bloodied) & Z2; 6 Fire damage (34 HP).

Winstanley- Move. Sly Flourish Z1; 8 damage (10 HP bloodied).

Dirty- Move. Cleave Z1; Miss. Marked.

Z1- Grab Dirty; Gotcha.

Z2- Slam Dirty; Hit 9 damage (28 HP).

Z3- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

Z4- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

ZR1- DEAD.

ZR2- DEAD.

ZR3- DEAD.

ZR4- DEAD.

ZR5- DEAD.

ZR6- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

ZR7- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

ZR8- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

ZR9- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

ZR10- Double Move. Coming from the other side of encounter area.

Time to play 8 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP28/37)

Zombie Rotter Level 3 Minion [ZR] (x10) (HP1) 5 DEAD
Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP10/40 & 34/40)

Action Points 0 Total 0
Daily Powers 0 Total 0
Healing Surges 0 Total 0
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 0
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0

Comment: I'm dead already...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Round #2.

Grey- Move. Scorching Burst Z1-2; Hit both- Z1; 9 Fire damage (1 HP bloodied) & Z2; 9 Fire damage (25 HP).

Kaspard- Move. Sacred Flame Z2; Hit 9 Radiant damage +5 (Vulnerable) = 14 damage (11 HP bloodied) & 4 Temp HP Dirty.

Phrenic- Move. Viper's Strike Z1; Hit 9 damage- DEAD. Z1 drops Dirty.

Winstanley- Move. Sly Flourish Z2; Hit 9 damage (2 HP bloodied).

Dirty- Move. Reaping Strike Z2; Hit 9 damage- DEAD. Perception- something approaches.

Z1- DEAD.

Z2- DEAD.

Z3- Move. Charge Dirty; Hit 11 damage (21 HP).

Z4- Double Move.

ZR1- DEAD.

ZR2- DEAD.

ZR3- DEAD.

ZR4- DEAD.

ZR5- DEAD.

ZR6- Double Move.

ZR7- Double Move.

ZR8- Move. Charge Dirty; Miss.

ZR9- Double Move.

ZR10- Double Move.

Time to play 7 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP21/37)

Zombie Rotter Level 3 Minion [ZR] (x10) (HP1) 5 DEAD
Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP40) 2 DEAD

Action Points 0 Total 0
Daily Powers 0 Total 0
Healing Surges 0 Total 0
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 0
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0

Comment: Bring on the dead men walking...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

And the second half of the encounter has just hoved into view, just in time to be decimated.

Round #3.

Grey- Move. Scorching Burst ZR8&10 & Z3; Hit all- ZR8&10 11 Fire damage- both DEAD & Z3 11 Fire damage (29 HP).

Kaspard- Move. Turn Undead ZR6-7&9; Hit ZR7&9 for 9 Radiant damage each- both DEAD.

Phrenic- Move. Viper's Strike Z3; Hit 7 damage (22 HP). Inspiring Word +2 HP Dirty (32 HP).

Winstanley- Move. Sly Flourish ZR6; Hit 9 damage- DEAD.

Dirty- Reaping Strike Z3; Miss 3 damage (19 HP bloodied). Marked.

Z1- DEAD.

Z2- DEAD.

Z3- Slam Dirty; Hit 9 damage (23 HP).

Z4- Move. Charge Kaspard; Miss.

ZR1- DEAD.

ZR2- DEAD.

ZR3- DEAD.

ZR4- DEAD.

ZR5- DEAD.

ZR6- DEAD.

ZR7- DEAD.

ZR8- DEAD.

ZR9- DEAD.

ZR10- DEAD.

Time to play 7 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP23/37)

Zombie Rotter Level 3 Minion [ZR] (x10) (HP1) 10 DEAD
Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP19/40 & 40/40) 2 DEAD

Action Points 0 Total 0
Daily Powers 0 Total 0
Healing Surges 1 Total 1
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 0
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0

Comment: This is embarrassing.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Round #4.

Grey- Move. Magic Missile Z4; Hit 10 Force damage (30 HP).

Kaspard- Shift back. Sacred Flame Z4; Hit 9 Radiant damage +5 (Vulnerable) = 14 damage (16 HP bloodied) & 4 Temp HP Winstanley.

Phrenic- Shift. Leaf on the Wind Z3; Miss. Inspiring Word +6 HP Dirty (Full).

Winstanley- Sly Flourish Z4; Miss.

Dirty- Spinning Sweep Z3; Hit 17 damage (2 HP bloodied) & Prone. Marked.

Z1- DEAD.

Z2- DEAD.

Z3- Stand. Slam Dirty; Miss.

Z4- Move. Slam Kaspard; Miss.

ZR1- DEAD.

ZR2- DEAD.

ZR3- DEAD.

ZR4- DEAD.

ZR5- DEAD.

ZR6- DEAD.

ZR7- DEAD.

ZR8- DEAD.

ZR9- DEAD.

ZR10- DEAD.

Time to play 6 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP37/37)

Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP2/40 & 16/40) 2 DEAD

Action Points 0 Total 0
Daily Powers 0 Total 0
Healing Surges 1 Total 2
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 0
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0

Comment: Anyone know any good songs we can sing?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Round #5.

Grey- Magic Missile Z4; Hit 10 Force damage (6 HP bloodied).

Kaspard- Shift back. Sacred Flame Z4; Hit 10 Radiant damage +5 (Vulnerable) =15 damage- DEAD & 4 Temp HP Grey.

Phrenic- Shift. Combat Advantage Viper's Strike Z3; Miss.

Winstanley- Sly Flourish Z3; Miss.

Dirty- Combat Advantage Reaping Strike Z3; Hit 14 damage- DEAD.

Time to play 4 minutes.
Total time to play 35 minutes.

End of Combat-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 2 (HP37/37)

Zombies Level 2 Brute [Z] (x4) (HP40) 4 DEAD

Action Points 0 Total 0
Daily Powers 0 Total 0
Healing Surges 0 Total 2
2nd Winds 0 Total 0
Crits 0 Total 0
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0

Comment: That was just... I've played KOTS at least three times before and this trap has never worked once, on all the other occasions the PCs have just walked into the the first room full of Zombies and destroyed them. I thought about not unleashing the second part of the encounter until one of the traps was triggered but I've tried that before as well. If I play KOTS again then I'm going hide all the Zombies somewhere (somewhere the PCs can't get to) and not move any of them until the first trap is triggered. Even then the PC caught in the trap will run away from the Zombies- sheesh.

Oh and if I do that the door to the next chamber on this level is unguarded, anyone know how to make this encounter work?

All the PCs bar Phrenic now have enough XP to advance to level 3.

The PCs swing by the strange glyphs on the floor, or at least one of them- decide it looks dodgy, good Arcana roll from Grey, and then head south instead, away from the traps.

Stats: Save Dirty none of the PCs took any damage, and they managed to eat their way through 14 monsters (10 Minions, okay) and 170 hit points of bad guys. Zombies suck!

It looks even worse on paper, monsters landed 50% of their attacks, which is pretty average and not too bad until you realise that they only made 8 attacks in total, so that's 4 hits then, for a total of 29 damage. That's 4.83 points of damage per turn.

The PCs however managed a 81.25% connection rate, 26 hits from 32 attacks, and dished out 284 points of damage at 47.33 hit points per turn.

Only 35 minutes to play through a, supposedly, Level 3 encounter, that's the joint quickest encounter, only encounter #1- an Action Point & Daily Power frenzy was quicker to play at 26 minutes.

Just tragic, let us never speak of this again.

Combined Stats: Once again the encounter just served to improve most of the PCs connection/hit rates, it also reduced again the average time/encounter for Level 2 PCs, we're down to 43.4 minutes for the 5 encounters they've played so far.

I don't want to talk about this any more... move along, nothing to see here.

Remove ads