New Alien movie: yea or nay?

HobbitFan

Explorer
Say it last night. Pretty mediocre. Not as monumentally stupid as Prometheus was buts its pretty boring. Not good as either a follow-up to Prometheus or as a stand alone Aliens movie.

I liked it a lot. It was an improvement over all but the first 2. There are parts where it reminded me of the old black and white movies, star trek, dr who where the hero goes to the castle...

My big problem with the movie and the previous 1 is how dumb everyone is. the acting is fine its just not believable

Fassbender gets an A+. Got a terminator vibe from him at 1 point. Special effects a+

Rewatching Prometheus right now. Not as bad as I remember. They're no more dumb than Hudson was.

There's a fan edit that spliced in the deleted scenes and cut out some of the egregious moments (e.g., the Engineer ship gets knocked out of the sky, falls to the ground, and then we just cut to Shaw trapped). It really helped to add in the axe-fight against the Engineer at the end. The movie was so close to being great; they just mucked some things up in editing.

I saw it last week. Loved it! It's not perfect but it's miles ahead of Prometheus, Alien 3, or Resurrection.

I liked it, but again I feel like some different editing decisions would have made it tighter. From the moment they land on the planet until the 'alien smashes its face into the window' that they showed in the trailer, it was great, but before and after that it lacked something.

[sblock]I don't see the benefit of having the planet they land on not be their original target. I know there's a tradition of 'interrupt our mission when we receive a mysterious signal,' but I think they could have just started with them waking up and having a small disaster because of a stellar outburst (which could also explain the storm over the planet). As they mourn they pick up the signal from Shaw, so you save a few minutes on the 'repair the sail' scene.

Then at the end, the fight versus the Xenomorph wasn't nearly as interesting as the one when they were escaping the planet. Again, it seemed too much like trying to recapture the same formula of Alien and Aliens with the 'surprise, it followed you' twist, which at this point is a cliche, not a twist. Either cut that, or find a way to make it more intense. Maybe have David actively cooperating with the Xenomorph, instead of maintaining his ruse. After all, if he kills the surviving humans he's got thousands of colonists to experiment on.

Even the android-swap twist was too obvious a twist. I really wanted a scene of them quizzing their android buddy 'Walter' as soon as they're not in mortal peril, just to be sure. You could have had a scene earlier where Walter and David discussed the 'cabin by the lake' bit, so that the humans can be intelligent and wary but the villain can still trick them.[/sblock]

So yeah, great middle and climax, unnecessary early bits and weak ending.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can't easily selectively quote text on a phone but it would be too much coincidence for the Engineer home world that David and Shaw went to to be the exact same place those folks decided to colonise.

The end twist was extremely obvious, yeah. Was the wrong hand missing?

Remove ads