New cell phone advice

tecnowraith

First Post
Hey its been a while since I posted anythting and I am needing advice on a new Samsung cell phone I got recently. Do most people here actually use either the carrier's or the phone manufacture's apps? If it's an android, any of the google apps? I'm wondering which apps I can uninstall that are default apps. Any suggestions or advice is helpful. Thanks

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I use most Google apps, but no Samsung apps. If this is an S5, you probably have enough storage not to worry about deleting. ....unless you store a lot of pictures and music.

Janx

Hero
generically speaking, I'd keep the google apps since you are running a Google OS.

The carriers apps, or the extra crap they put on there, if it'll let you whack it, sure. I find my Verizon android has games and other crap I don't want that it will NOT let me delete.

At that point, you'd be in the realm of rooting your android and starting with a fresh OS built from Google.

That's one thing I like about the AT&T phones that I've seen in the past. In the pre-smartphone era, my Verizon Razor was handicapped and smeared with crap from Verizon. My friend's AT&T Razor was not. When I went from Razor to AT&T iPhone 3g, I had a nice clean phone with no Carrrier Crap on it.

I don't know what ATT does with Androids, but I really don't like Carrier Crap.

tecnowraith

First Post
For the google apps, im not sure if i will use text-to-speech, play movies and tv, play music, and google maps with street viewer. I also noticed most apps were download from google play that i don't remember downloading and installing them on my phone.

Zaukie, what about your carrier's apps? Im on MetroPCS.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hey its been a while since I posted anythting and I am needing advice on a new Samsung cell phone I got recently. Do most people here actually use either the carrier's or the phone manufacture's apps? If it's an android, any of the google apps? I'm wondering which apps I can uninstall that are default apps. Any suggestions or advice is helpful. Thanks

I got a Galaxy S5 a few months ago.

I use the carrier's apps for messaging, visual voicemail, and account management.

I use the base Google play store app, G+, Google hangouts, photos and google maps. The specific apps for Google Play newsstand, games, movies, music, and music I haven't used.

As for uninstalling apps: I don't think it allows you to shoot yourself in the foot - my understanding is that it is safe to try to uninstall any app through the normal interface. If you try, and it isn't allowed, well, then it isn't allowed.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Had a droid. Never found a way to uninstall any of the pre-programmed apps. Foist-ware. Part of what I hated about the "smart" phone system.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Never found a way to uninstall any of the pre-programmed apps. Foist-ware. Part of what I hated about the "smart" phone system.

Some of them you just can't uninstall. However, I've not found that to be an issue. Anything that doesn't see much use that cannot be deleted gets shuffled off to a folder that I can then ignore.

I suppose if your device has a fixed amount of storage, and these are taking up too much, it could be an issue.

Janx

Hero
Had a droid. Never found a way to uninstall any of the pre-programmed apps. Foist-ware. Part of what I hated about the "smart" phone system.

I like the term FoistWare. Nice.

A note though, FoistWare has existed long before smart phones. Razors (remember when they were the sexiest phones) and others came with games and such installed on them too that you couldn't remove.

I accept that the manufacturer might put some apps on there like Google Maps on an Android or Stocks on an iPhone, but the bulk of the FoistWare is coming from the Carrier (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, you get the drift).

Blame them. Not SmartPhones, because the problem predates SmartPhones.

Which phone do you have, and what apps does Metro have installed? You should be able to remove pretty much any carrier app if you root your phone.

Remove ads