• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New character help

duo963

First Post
I typically land in the defender/leader role in my 4e campaigns, but I'm feeling like changing it up this time and making a striker of some sort. However, I am having trouble deciding what to play.
While all options are open for review, I would like to stay away from the ranger. Only because I have seen that class played to death, and I am somewhat bored by it. I do tend to gravitate towards magic or divine classes more often than not, as I typically enjoy them more than straight martial characters.
The party size is rather small (more than likely 2-3 members). I'm trying to reach out for ideas for either vanilla/hybrid/multiclass builds that either you have played, have seen played, or just look like an all around fun class to play. So long as it is an effective damage dealing machine.

Shadus

First Post
I'd need more information on what kind of fighting style you wanting to give any good suggestions.
For example, answering weather you'd want Melee or ranged attacks by using magic or a weapon would help filter the list.

duo963

First Post
I am open to all types of fighting styles. I just want to steer away from the ranger mostly.
The only thing keeping me from jumping on the avenger is the fact that I just went through a campaign as a swordmage that teleported the world. The class looks amazing though.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I would suggest you give Hexblade a good look. They are very effective skirmishing strikers, able to fight well in melee or at range, though they are better at melee.

Each of the different builds brings something different and interesting to the mix - the Infernal build makes a decent off-tank, with the option of going for heavier armour, while the Star pact slaps on some minor control effects. Both of the Fey pact variants seem to focus on mobility, with one teleporting about and the other becoming insubstantial. They are also probably the best for damage - with one able to cash in on Frostcheese, and the other on Radiant cheese (and really good against undead).

All of them have excellent basic attacks, so they excel when a warlord is present. They all basically get superior melee weapons baked into the class in the form of their Pact Weapons, so they take a bit of the load off your feat choices. They also get some pretty interesting daily summons, and their default Paragon Paths are all pretty good, if your campaign gets that far.

I have a Hexblade character on the cusp of Paragon, using the Fey pact of the White Well (the radiant one), and I multiclassed into Skald (bard) for some secondary leader action. He's pretty fun, and with the Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might giving access to a Skald at-will, he dishes out buffs like candy.

the Jester

Legend
IMHO the slayer looks really fun too.

I've seen a lot of awesome rogues in action in my campaign, and they tend to be great fun and highly mobile.

jbear

First Post
With 2-3 players youre going to want to be durable as well. Check out a Charisma based Human Paladin/Warlock hybrid with Paladin Armour as Hybrid Talent. Invest 13 in DEX to multiclass into Assassin and you can then gain the warlock's Shadow Step feature via a feat. Human gives you an extra feat so you can get where you want to be pretty fast. Extra At Will take Eldritch Strike for a CHA MBA.

Keeping in mind Curse damage is 1/turn now hopefully you'll be able to get that off quite often with your OA's.

Anyway, I'm playing one at the moment here is a look at it. I don't have time to go through it for you to explain atm. I may come back and go through it if you are interested in knowing more :) (Its not complete atm btw, my PC has just embarked on his first adventure, so this is just a projection into his future)

The Cursed One, level 11
Human, Warlock|Paladin
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Star Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Twofold Pact: Fey Pact
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign, Arcane Refugee

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 19, Dex 15, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 23 Fort: 21 Reflex: 19 Will: 21
HP: 82 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Thievery +10, Endurance +12, Bluff +15, Arcana +10, Stealth +10

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
Level 4: Shadow Initiate
Level 6: Cursed Shadow
Level 8: Crimson Fire
Level 11: Twofold Pact

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Dire Radiance
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Crown of Stars
Hybrid utility 2: Bless Weapon
Hybrid encounter 3: Otherwind Stride
Hybrid daily 5: Hallowed Circle
Hybrid utility 6: Shadowslip
Hybrid encounter 7: Far Realm Phantasm

ITEMS
Plate Armor, Fullblade,

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Seconding the Hexblade or Paladin|Warlock- I especially like how Dire Radiance synergizes with the Paladin's mark. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...and all radiant!

(I was thinking about nearly that precise build for a streamlined version of a PC I was brainstorming a few weeks ago.)

Last edited:

duo963

First Post
The paladin/lock combo looks really nice, especially with the synergy of power mechanics, but how is the damage output compared to a standard striker?

Quickleaf

Legend
I whipped together a domination blackguard for a friend for a one-shot game, straight outta the charop boards. If you're used to playing defenders the blackguard's sheer toughness might make it a good choice.

Plus if you have pent up dark side energy from playing nice guy leaders/defenders, there's nothing that says "I stab him in the face for 3d12" like a blackguard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads