• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Character idea needed

Aryoche

Explorer
Okay, here's the problem...I'm currently playing in a game with a rather eclectic group of players. My character (2 rogue/2 cleric) has had a tragic accident involving a nasty NPC who decided to polymorph him into a horse... it doesn't look like this affect is going to be reversed any time soon, and after discussing it with the DM, it was suggested I come up with a new character. The party is already covered by having another Cleric and another rogue....

So as I was working on ideas, I was considering playing a Druid/Sorcerer, with a slight twist... I want him to be a halfling! I was thinking a wolf as an animal companion, and perhaps either a ferret or weasel as a familiar.

Now I haven't played a druid since 1st Edition, so I'm curious what everyone would think of this combination... also, I'm not completely adversive to throwing a level of rogue in there, but I really detest the stereotype typically associated with halflings being the 'rogue' in the party... but the extra skill points would be nice...

Any feedback would be appreciated...

graydoom

First Post
I dunno... multi-classing between two different spell-casting classes end up being weak at higher levels. Staying single-clased as a spellcaster gives you access to all those cool high level spells.

Aryoche

Explorer
graydoom said:
I dunno... multi-classing between two different spell-casting classes end up being weak at higher levels. Staying single-clased as a spellcaster gives you access to all those cool high level spells.

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I'm not really concerned with the whole "power" issue, I'm looking at it as something fun to do. And once this series of modules is over, I'm not sure what the DM has planned, so it could be a moot point.

Anyhow, we're a bit weak in the magic dept in comparison to the number of warrior-types running around, so I though it might be a neat concept. I'm not giving up on it, I thought some feedback could help flesh it out, or at least show me the error of my ways..

Terraism

Explorer
What's the relative power level of the party? Are you all around level 4 (where your previous character, ah, 'died'), is that high or low? More to the point - what level will your new character be?

Alright - a halfling druid, huh? Well, I can see a 'feral halfling' druid who spends time as a loner being a more dangerous character, whereas a more typical halfling would, as a druid, attempt to help the community live in greater harmony with nature. The sorcerer part may be accounted for by fey blood... perhaps druidic activity is a family trait for this particular halfling. Having both a familiar and animal companion(s) would make for a rather interesting character, but I wonder if the more intelligent familiar may cause problems - I can see a smart ferret playing mind games with the wolf... :D Anyway - how about you give a little more information about what you'd like to play?

hellbender

First Post
Nothing wrong with a halfling druid, however, you could go with a gnome druid, and toss a saddle on the wolf animal companion and have a fast and aggressive mount.
I also tend to agree with the comment about multi-classing with spell casting classes. It will hobble you in time, and if the party needs more power later on, it could be an issue. A halfling (or gnome) druid/fighter can become a dangerous and potent character in time.

Just an opinion,
hellbender

graydoom

First Post
Yeah, a druid/fighter might do well. You can use your Druid spells to enhance your weaponry. And you get a bunch of feats that you can use to learn how to ride your animal companion :D. A halfling or gnome with a enchanted light lance charging on a wolf is nothing to be laughed at.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
I like Terraism's feral halfing idea. It would be cool to play a mad (as heck) halfling druid/barbarian. You could go with the whole "Raised by Wolves" thing. Be the first Dark Sun style halfing on Faerun or Oerth or whereever you game. Nothing more intimidating that something that is small yet ill-tempered. Take some ranks in tumble and jump with your rogue level and get some big grunt to fling you into battle, and you could be known as "The Crimson Missile" :D .

El Ravager

First Post
I would have to agree with those who have cautioned against multi-classing two spell casting classes. It generally does't work. I have a sorceror6/wizard6 PC in a party of 12-14 level characters I DM. Since to spell casting classes don't stack for purposes of caster level, it generally has the effect of two 6th level characters in a party twice their level. Spell resistances of the creatures the party faces are too high for him to beat most of the time, and the DCs of his spells are very low compared to the saves of most opponents.

Oogar

First Post
Bah, Halfling Druid with one level of Monk. Be the outcast Lawful Neutral halfling that always wondered why other people just can't behave. Use magic claw so your punches are magical. One or 2 levels of monk will get you a decent foot speed. And all around it seems like a class that you can have fun with.

"Silly goblin, Don't you know that there is always something higher on the food chain!?!" Flurry of blows, stunning fist "Raaaaaaaaarrrrrr"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads