• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Character idea needed

dracconianlord

First Post
If you are set on multiclassing Sor/Dru I would definitely go Sor 1 Dru the rest of the way. Sor (Wiz would be better) gives you a lot of cool utility spells with just one lvl, but taking any more than one lvl of it really hurts a druid build.

Ringan

Explorer
I think there have been questions about its balanced-ness, but the Fochlucan Lyricist prestige class from Complete Adventurer permits full spell progression for arcane and divine simultaneously. IIRC, there are a lot of prereqs for it though.

werk

First Post
Halfling Ranger 1/Bard 3. Dual weilding dagger and IUS, darts for ranged.

If you're going to suck, suck royal.

Stormborn

Explorer
What books are you allowed? A Druid/Scout would be a good wilderness themed PC that would fill in for your Cleric/Rogue well. Now personally, I love the Sorcerer, but it may not be the best fit in you case. Hmmm....Warlock/Rogue - Max out UMD and get a wand of cure light wounds for your healing issues, use SA at range through Eldritch blast - it could work.

If the Druid/Scout - You halfling grew up near a tribe of Wood Elves who indoctrinated you into the druidic sect. The valley, however, was frought with danger and goblinoids were regullarly raiding the area and the near by human settlment. Thus your training was split between the two disciplines. Eventually the valley was saved, but it peace ruined for you somehow. You travel now seeking a new home, a new place to belong.

If Warlock/Rogue - Your halfling grew up in a vast city with lots of corruption. The circumstances of your birth are unclear, as your earliest memories are of livign on the street, stealing food to survive with a mixed gang of other small sized children (gnomes, halfings, maybe even goblins). You have a strange dark birth mark on your palm that frequently itches, you here whispers in the shadows around you but are never sure what they say, and you are sure someone is hunting you for reasons that have not been made clear. To escape this pursuit you have joined a band of adventurers, hoping that distance and strange locals will give you a chance to figure out what it going on.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Play the PC that sings to you.

If you're somewhat concerned about the "power" problem of the Druid/Sorc multiclass, take enough Druid levels to get the abilities you want (like shapechange), then go Mystic Theurge. That should mitigate some of those concerns.

If you want to be more agressive (and have access to CompArc), try multiclassing Druid/Warmage. Your spell selection will be smaller, but your AC will be higher.

I believe there is a PrCl called the Halfling Outrider which could work for a Druid/Ranger build and his Animal Companion. Its a mounted class, and with the improvement the Companion gets, it could be nasty.

OTOH, a Ranger/Sorc with an Animal Companion and a Familiar would let you be the "Littlest Beastmaster of All."

A "feral" halfling idea I came up with some time ago was actually a Barbarian/PsiWar whose "totem animals" were Porcupines, Wolverines and Skunks...a speedy little stinking ball of hate with Bladed claws, Spiked Studded Leather armor, rounding out his arsenal with bottles of Trog stench grenades. The wisdom needed for Barbarian skills dovetails nicely with the powers of the PsiWar. That Halfling bonus with thrown weapon comes in handy with the Trog grenades.

A halfling "paladin" concept could be based on the Biblical figure, David. Halflings, after all, get bonuses with Slings- David's legendary weapon of choice- and their Dex bonus pumps that a bonus a bit more (and you only lose 1 pt of damage going from M to S). Once again, this class could qualify for one of the mounted combatant PrCls.

Last edited:

Jubilee

First Post
I think you should play a paladin and claim your former self-horse as your holy mount, although that works best if you're using 3.0 rules for the mount (with it around all the time). You could also do a druid or ranger with the horse as your animal companion.. ;)

If you're attracted to a druid/arcane combination, you might consider the arcane heirophant from races of the wild - it's geared towards a druid/wizard or sorcerer.

/ali

IamTheTest

First Post
Druid/Sorc could work quite well in the long run if you have access to the Arcane Heirophant PrC in Races of Wild. You could make up caster levels with Practised Spellcaster too. Just a thought.

Ry

Explorer
If I were you, I'd try to build the feral druid halfling as simply as possible, and ask the DM if he'll let you roleplay both the halfling and the horse (since the horse can't be everywhere).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Drd3/Sor1. Cast mage armor as a sorcerer spell for better AC, movement, and arcane failure than hide.

Cast Shield as a sorcerer spell and you can still use and benefit from light armor (highter AC), albeit with some ASF.

ask the DM if he'll let you roleplay both the halfling and the horse

Ask for the horse as your animal companion. There is much precedent for intelligent animal sidekicks in fiction, like Horse of the Dudley Doright cartoon, or Comet of The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Druid/Sorc rocks. If you really want to be the spellmaster, go Favored Soul/Sorcerer.

Don't listen to those other guys who grumble about "power" and "effectiveness". Dru/Sor is a well-rounded class choice. Personally, I'd start off Sorcerer 3/Druid 1 and work from there. Other than more spells, Druids don't get any really useful perks until level 4 (ie their shapechange ability). If shapeshift isn't your top prioirty, I'd totally go for Barbarian/Druid. :x

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads