• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Class -- Historian (think Indiana Jones / Tomb Raider)

Inlicere

First Post
I love the changes you have made to the class.

Personally I feel that Master of Your Trade is a touch to powerful it makes it pointless to buy new skills when you can just buy 2 feats to get a +4 to all unknown skills as opposed to taking Skill Training twice and getting trained in 2 unknown skills (a +5). Instead maybe just +1 to all unknown skills which stacks with Jack of all Trade.

Thanks for the comments!

Don't forget that Master of Your Trade only applies to untrained class skills, not to all untrained skills. This means that Jack of All Trades would give an Historian +2 to 9 different skills, while Master of Your Trade would only give an Historian +2 to 4 different skills (raising only those 4 skills to a +4 if both feats were taken at the same time).

(regarding Aberrant Master...) I also don't think they need their own power type since starlock tap into the same type of energies and use arcane I feel that arcane works for these. Needs some kind of implement to keep these powers in line with all of your other ones.

Of couse, the "alien" power source is just flavor since power sources have no actual impact in the game. Anyone who prefers that it be Arcane can certainly change it with zero effort.

That said... the reason I went with a new power source is that I want aberrants to feel very different (well... I want them to feel alien actually ;)), and I just don't get that feeling off of slapping arcane on it. As a secondary benefit, it also helps distinguish Aberrant Master from Arcane Historian.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments!

Don't forget that Master of Your Trade only applies to untrained class skills, not to all untrained skills. This means that Jack of All Trades would give an Historian +2 to 9 different skills, while Master of Your Trade would only give an Historian +2 to 4 different skills (raising only those 4 skills to a +4 if both feats were taken at the same time).
I some how missed that never mind then it is perfect as written

Of couse, the "alien" power source is just flavor since power sources have no actual impact in the game. Anyone who prefers that it be Arcane can certainly change it with zero effort.

That said... the reason I went with a new power source is that I want aberrants to feel very different (well... I want them to feel alien actually ;)), and I just don't get that feeling off of slapping arcane on it. As a secondary benefit, it also helps distinguish Aberrant Master from Arcane Historian.
The only reason I was concerned is I figure in future supplements they will start adding more feats and item to buff powers that are of a given type exclusively that's all. Aberents still need and implement or an increasing bonus to hit. I am looking forward to seeing what information they give us in the manual of the planes on hte far realm it has always been defiantly my favorite place to draw inisperation from

Last edited:

Inlicere

First Post
I Abberants still need an implement or an increasing bonus to hit...

True... I hate to use an implement, since that doesn't seem to tie into Aberrants in any way, so I'm thinking about an increasing bonus of +1 for every group of 5 levels. I.e., levels 11-15 get a +3, levels 16-20 get a +4, etc. That would put them on par with typical magic implements.

ulrikbb

First Post
How about giving the aberrant masters some kind of graft that can serve as implement? A tentacle? A parasite? Maybe make it possible to choose from various kinds that offer different advantages and/or disadvantages?

Just a though. Felt it would fit with the very tentacle-ish aberrant theme.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I love the concept of grafts/parasites but for this class i would lean towards relics being used as an implement. Give these relics encounter or daily powers which cause them to mutate when activated (growing a tentacle or eye stalks ect...) That way you could keep several relics (figures of ancient and elder gods, lost manuscripts, twisted sculptures inscribed in lost tongues, glass skulls, idols, Sankara stones.)

Last edited:

Inlicere

First Post
I love the concept of grafts/parasites but for this class i would lean towards relics being used as an implement. Give these relics encounter or daily powers which cause them to mutate when activated (growing a tentacle or eye stalks ect...) That way you could keep several relics (figures of ancient and elder gods, lost manuscripts, twisted sculptures inscribed in lost tongues, glass skulls, idols, Sankara stones.)

Ok, that's just creepy. Needless to say... I like it! :D

Remove ads