• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Class - Spell Weaver

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
This is a class I plan on bringing into the game a good while in the future, so I have some time to work out the kinks. Any helpful input is appreciated

====================

Spell Weaver

Spell Weavers focus not on learning spells, but learning and weaving the strands of magic. With a flick of their wrist or arcane word, a foe can be stopped…or some beer levitated over from the bar. Spell Weavers are very flexible, but are simply not able to cast as many powerful spells as other spell casters. Instead of learning individual spells, the Spell Weaver learns the forces behind magic.

Training to be a Spell Weaver is unique. Initially, the Spell Weaver simply casts spells and the student watches. Eventually the student develops the ability to see the strands of magic that the Spell Weaver is manipulating (mainly due to the spells the Spell Weaver has been casting, although this eventually becomes natural). During this stage the Spell weaver will continually cast a spell with obvious, but harmless effects, making small variations each time. Gradually (when the student feels he is ready), the student will start aiding in that one spell. Over time, the student will learn how different manipulations of the strands results in actions upon our world. This is a magic of art and participation, not of studying books.

Because of the different mindset and skills required, a Spell Weaver cannot learn other forms of magic. Likewise other spell crafters cannot learn Spell Weaving.

Adventures – Spell Weavers travel for many reasons. A great number feel that stress is what causes growth.

Characteristics – Spell casting is the “who and what” of a Spell Weaver. Spell Weavers disdain the use of manual labor when a spell will satisfy instead. Spell Weavers view themselves as a brotherhood and initial NPC reactions with other Spell Weavers are always positive. They can identify another Spell Weaver as such on sight, and know basic (1st level spells) ways of finding others of their order.

Alignment – Almost all Spell Weavers are good. This is for two reasons. The first is that this style requires either time or cooperation to cast powerful spells, and most neutral and evil individuals do not have the required mindset. Second, is that the order has been very selective to whom it will teach this style of magic.

Races – Almost any race can learn Spell Weaving. Elves with their love of magic and willingness to take time are very common. Humans are less likely as powerful spells take either time or more cooperation than most humans can handle on a constant basis. Dwarves are not uncommon as they are great with cooperation and do not rush, but are generally more physically minded. Halflings are as common as elves, having a combination of patients, cooperation and love of their craft.

Other Classes – Spell Weavers who adventure realize that a balance of classes is essential for any successful adventuring. They clash most with other spell crafters whom they see as being very crude, but do respect their capabilities.

Game Rule Information

Hit Die – d6

Class Skills – Appraise(Int), Concentration (Con), Craft(all)(Int), Knowledge-Arcane (Int), Knowledge(All)(Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Rope(Dex)
Skill Points at 1st (4 + Int Modifier) * 4
Skill Points each level 4 + Int Modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency – Spell Weavers are proficient in all simple weapons. They are not proficient in any armor or shields.

BAB: Poor
Good Saves: Reflex and Will
Poor Saves: Fortitude
Special: At first level they gain “Arcane Knowledge”, “Magic Sight” and “Unweaving”. At every level except 1, 5, 9, 13, and 17, the Spell Weaver gains a "Spell Casting Enhancement."

Arcane Knowledge
The Spell Weaver gains a bonus to Knowledge-Arcane and Spellcraft checks equal to ½ their Spell Weaver levels (round up)

Magic Sight
A Weaver is trained daily to see the threads of magic. The Weaver gains an ability similar to detect magic (always operating at the 1st round level, with additional round being taken to focus if desired). The range is equal to their normal vision and they do not risk being overwhelmed by it. In addition, they can literally see the strands of magic as magic is being cast. This makes it near impossible for a spell to be cast in their presence without their knowledge and they gain a bonus to identify the spell equal to ½ their Spell Weaver level. They can also identify the caster level of any spell on sight.

Unweaving
Spell Weavers can unweave spells very readily. With a standard action, they can unweave any one spell with a caster level equal to or less than their Spell Weaver level. If the spell has to high a caster level, they can devote a higher level spell to the unweaving. Each spell level devoted increase their effective level by 2. Note that this is only for unweaving individual spells or spell effects, and does not modify the effects of such spells as dispel magic when used to dispel multiple effects or all effects in an area.

Spell Casting Enhancement
This can increase one of two aspects of their spellcasting. The first is to gain access to higher level spells. The Spell Weaver starts being able to cast up to 1st level spells. A Spell Weaver cannot cast spells higher than ½ their level (round up). The other use of the Spell Casting Enhancement is to gain additional “Tired” fatigue levels (this will be explained later).

Spell Casting

Spell Weavers literally weave their spells using the strands of magic that make reality. Under normal casting conditions they are not only not tired by this, but invigorated (needing no food, no sleep, and not tiring). However, while a simple spell may take but a moments thought, a powerful spell can take weeks if not months. For the Spell Weaver, there is no separation between divine and arcane magic, and can cast any spell that they are skilled enough to weave (if a spell has multiple levels, use the lowest). Obvious variations are fine (such as a cold based fireball) as are versions that can be derived using feats (such as a 6th level spell duplicating a maximized fireball). Spells from non-PHB sources require approval before use. Metamagic feats from non-PHB sources must be approved before being used to customize spells. The weaving of spells requires only focus with the aid of either voice or hand motions (choose verbal or somatic and can change during casting, XP is the only other component ever required). Weaving is not subject to spell failure due to armor.

Casting Times by spell level (replaces spell descriptions)
Cantrips Standard Action
1st level 10 minutes
2nd level 1 hour
3rd level* 1 day (8 hours)
4th level* 1 week
5th level* 1 month
6th level* 1 season (3 months)
7th level* 1 year
8th level* 1 decade (10 years)
9th level* 1 century (100 years)
* These are almost never used as most spell casters will spend the fatigue to reduce the casting time

Reducing casting time
A Spell Weaver can reduce the time to cast a spell, but it causes fatigue. For each time increment that a spell is reduced, the caster takes 1 degree of fatigue. The fatigue occurs at the end of the first round of spell casting and cannot be recovered until the casting of the spell is finished. Initially, fatigue is recovered at a rate of 1 degree per hour per level (gained steadily throughout the hour if it is an issue). What this means, is that most spells cast in combat will be low level, or possibly 1 or two “big ones”, with a good chance of recovery before the next battle. This should lead to a more strategic use of magic. It is important to note that this is not a physical tiredness, but rather a drain caused by the spell energies and therefore any spell or effect that invigorates you will not help, likewise amount of exercise will not vary the recovery speed.
Degree 1 = Tired
Degree 2 = Fatigued, -2 Strength and dexterity, cannot run or charge
Degree 3 = Exhausted, ½ strength, dexterity, and unassisted movement rate
Degree 4 = Unconscious (can only occur if casting time is reduced to a standard action)

Cooperative casting
Spell Weavers are able to wield true power only in conjunction with others. With multiple Spell Weavers working together, the time to weave a spell is significantly reduced. Of course, to be able to aid in a spell, all assistants must be able to craft the spell themselves. For each person helping, reduce the casting time by 1 time increment. If the spell is also being reduced in time via fatigue, then the Spell Weavers split the fatigue.

ex - 4 Spell Weavers are crafting a 7th level spell. This reduces the casting time from 1 year to 1 week. They decide to all take 1 levels of fatigue each and reduce the time down to 1 standard action.

Saving Throws
Spell Weavers become very good at casting spells, and their spells are harder to resist. The saving throw for spells is equal to: 10 + spell level + Cha modifier + ½ Spell Weaver level (round down). If multiple people are casting a spell, use the highest values for each modifier.

Healing Spells
The healing of a person takes more than just magic, but also life energy. While the cleric can pull this from a god, the Spell Weaver must pull it from living creatures. When healing, the Spell Weaver can only convert damage to subdual. The Spell Weaver has the option of taking some or all of that subdual damage themselves.

Metamagic Feats
All metamagic feats have no real meaning for Spell Weavers for obvious reasons.

Magic Items
Not surprisingly, Spell Weavers make superior crafters of magic items. To a Spell Weaver, a wizard is simply shoving the desired spell effect into an item and then sealing it with their essence. In contrast, The Spell Weavers carefully weaves the magic into the item, making the item much more than it was before. This has two advantages. The first advantage is that the Spell Weaver automatically knows all spell crafting feats with the exception of scribe scroll (they simply do not think of “spells” and “formula”). The second advantage is that they can be more flexible in the requirements of an item. There are three factors in crafting an item; time, XP, cost. You can eliminate either XP or cost, but this doubles the other two factors.
Bob desires some bracers of protection, however, he is severely short on cash. He decides to not pay the normal cost of materials (other than the base item to be enchanted), but takes double the XP and double the time
Bob later needs a ring of invisibility. He cannot risk being less so close to his goal of gaining 7th level spells. He decides to not pay the normal XP cost, but doubles the GP cost and time.

In addition, like with the casting of spells, multiple Spell Weavers can work together to craft items. Lastly, due to their greater understanding of how magic works, a Spell Weaver can draw the XP needed to complete an item from a willing subject. The subject only needs to be present for the last hour of the process. This “last hour” does not have to be immediate, but must occur within 24 hours (per level of the Spell Weaver) of the rest of the process being finished.

Spell Weavers can work together on making magic items. Doing so decreases the time factor. To calculate how much, divide the estimate time by the square of the number of Spell Weavers. This means that if two Spell Weavers are working together, it will only take 1/4th the time, while if three Spell Weavers are working together, it will only take 1/9th the time.

Multi-Classing

If a Spell Weaver multi-classes with a class that gives +1 spell caster level, they only receive very limited benefits. The only benefit they gain is the “Spell Caster Enhancements”. They do not gain increased bonuses to knowledge arcane or spellcraft. They also do not gain the Spell Weaver bonus to spell DCs.

Spell Weaver Feats

Sturdy Caster
You are used to casting spells quicker than the average Spell Weaver. Each time this is taken you gain one additional “Tired” fatigue level. You can take a maximum of once plus once per five levels as a Spell Weaver (ex – at 8th level you could have taken this twice).

Familiar
You can have a familiar like a wizard. This counts towards the requirement for taking “Improved Familiar”.

Balance notes

At 20th level, if you took 5 levels of Sturdy Caster (the most you can take) you would have a total of 13 “Tired” levels. This would allow you to cast a grand total of 14 (15 if you went unconscious) spell levels in combat (plus as many cantrips as you want). Your strength will not be in combat casting, but rather in flexibility and strategic use of spells. Their spells will hit hard do to the high DC, but as they may only get 1 powerful one and some small ones off it is important that they have some effect.

Custom Spells

Locate Weaver
Level: 1
This spell gives the Spell Weaver the direction and distance of the nearest Spell Weaver. You can specifically exclude individuals when casting this spell (so you don’t get your friend from across the table). You can also restrict it to a particular Spell Weaves if you are looking for a specific group (or individual).

Thia Halmades

First Post
*cocks head to one side, ponders. Flips ears back and forth, chews nails. Opens mouth. Shuts it. Keeps thinking*

Okay. *not yet, wait for it*

Okay, really, okay. I think. Here's the thing. I'm already using a similar concept in my campaign, but I'm basing it off of ley lines - the currents of mystical power that bind the world together and fuel magic, almost as an element unto itself. I *love* the idea of a Spell Weaver casting type, and I think that you're on to something amazingly cool, but I don't think it's well balanced. The incorporation of magic as an element is great, but other than the 'gimmick' of weaving magic, I don't see a strong identity for this class.

I have a similar problem with some of the WotC classes as well; I don't quite see, unless you've got more than one of them, how they would work well in a group with a moderate to heavy combat ratio. The practicioner is almost forced to take 'Sturdy Caster' in order to effectively cast spells in combat, especially higher level combats where the ability to toss 5th+ level magic quickly and reliably is a necessity.

So, some thoughts on how to possibly improve this from the design stage where it is. Question one; other than the free feats which are granted to the class at its outset (front loading) how is staying with the class beneficial? Unless there's another Weaver in the area, their magics are severely hampered. What are the time restrictions placed on item development? If the focus of the class is purely to develop items, than would it be more reasonable to build it in as a PrC which requires a certain number of prerequisite feats to take.

Can you clarify how a lone Weaver can be effective in combat, compared to a Wiz, Sor, Dru or Clr? I'm asking that purely for balance (questionable as that word is) purposes. While D&D isn't balanced for PvP, it is designed in such a way that everyone can contribute to combat effectively.

Following that, I'm grasping that the world structure you're arguing for here doesn't show a strong distinction between Divine & Arcane magic, which is a massive discussion I'll leave out of this thread, but what is the balance of how many spells a Weaver attains, and assuming they aren't fatigued, is there a limit to the number of times per day they can cast? If you create a sort of homogonized caster, and make it too easy to sling spells, then no one else will want to play the other classes. If it's too difficult (which it seems, right now, it is) then it holds no tangible benefit beyond granting a tremendous stack of construction feats at level one.

Unweaving: Are you saying that the class can simply unweave, aka counter, anything they say? As in, "Nice summoned Dragon - unweave." "Ah, good sir, I see you casting Limited Wish. Or not. Unweave." Is it a limited effect (existing spells/items) in which they can just undo anything they don't like? Is a save involved for the item or caster? Can they just outright counter anything in their path? I'm not sure how this works mechanically. Do they have a free, permanent Dispel Magic?

Harder to Resist: This is decent, but where is the ability to get the spell off quickly, effectively & consecutively?

So, at first blush, the big things I'm taking issue with are:

- Combat efficiency against other base casting classes
- Front Loading, too many feats which are too good up front
- Identity Crisis; what is their niche in a party? What can they do well in combat?
- Casting style; is this really worthwhile in the long run, considering the massive amount of additional PC/NPC interaction is required to simply toss a Fireball?

Some thoughts & questions.

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
1st off. Thanks for the response :)

ok, lets take a look

Thia Halmades said:
Okay, really, okay. I think. Here's the thing. I'm already using a similar concept in my campaign, but I'm basing it off of ley lines - the currents of mystical power that bind the world together and fuel magic, almost as an element unto itself. I *love* the idea of a Spell Weaver casting type, and I think that you're on to something amazingly cool, but I don't think it's well balanced. The incorporation of magic as an element is great, but other than the 'gimmick' of weaving magic, I don't see a strong identity for this class.

The balance question we will answer point to point later, not sure though if I see what you mean about the lack of identity. What do you think is missing?

Thia Halmades said:
So, some thoughts on how to possibly improve this from the design stage where it is. Question one; other than the free feats which are granted to the class at its outset (front loading) how is staying with the class beneficial? Unless there's another Weaver in the area, their magics are severely hampered. What are the time restrictions placed on item development? If the focus of the class is purely to develop items, than would it be more reasonable to build it in as a PrC which requires a certain number of prerequisite feats to take.

Why stay in. Well. to cat higher level spells, to cast more spell levels. They are definitely weaker than the wizard/sorcerer in damage dealing though, definitely agree with that. However, with multiple combats a day they are more likely to be useful in the later ones though. I see their nich in combat as being primarily the anti-spellcasters through their unweaving, and casting the occasional strategic spell (or numerous low level). This is definitely not the artilary mage (well..scratch that...they are great arltilary for a siege, just not in standard dungeon crawl)

I am not following what you are asking about the item creation

Thia Halmades said:
Following that, I'm grasping that the world structure you're arguing for here doesn't show a strong distinction between Divine & Arcane magic, which is a massive discussion I'll leave out of this thread, but what is the balance of how many spells a Weaver attains, and assuming they aren't fatigued, is there a limit to the number of times per day they can cast? If you create a sort of homogonized caster, and make it too easy to sling spells, then no one else will want to play the other classes. If it's too difficult (which it seems, right now, it is) then it holds no tangible benefit beyond granting a tremendous stack of construction feats at level one.

yeah, my world has no clerics, and a different spellcasting class that can do both arcane and divine.

Thia Halmades said:
Unweaving: Are you saying that the class can simply unweave, aka counter, anything they say? As in, "Nice summoned Dragon - unweave." "Ah, good sir, I see you casting Limited Wish. Or not. Unweave." Is it a limited effect (existing spells/items) in which they can just undo anything they don't like? Is a save involved for the item or caster? Can they just outright counter anything in their path? I'm not sure how this works mechanically. Do they have a free, permanent Dispel Magic?

hmm. Perhaps I need to decrease the base auto-dispel, and increase the bonus they get by actually using fatigue/time. In any case, this is definitely one area they excel in comparison to the wizard/sorcerer in combat :)

Thia Halmades said:
Harder to Resist: This is decent, but where is the ability to get the spell off quickly, effectively & consecutively?

this was put in so that the few spells they cast would actually be effective

Thia Halmades said:
- Combat efficiency against other base casting classes
- Front Loading, too many feats which are too good up front
- Identity Crisis; what is their niche in a party? What can they do well in combat?
- Casting style; is this really worthwhile in the long run, considering the massive amount of additional PC/NPC interaction is required to simply toss a Fireball?

again, thanks for the comments

lets see. Combat effectiveness is definitely in the countering of enemy spellcasters, with their own casting having to be more strategic. Their niche is definitely in support, and they rock on out of combat spell casting

Front loading - I can sorta see this. I assume you are refrering to the basically unlimited cantrips and access to 1st level spells. The only other thing they get at 1st is the unweaving which is level dependent and the perma-detect magic. Hmmm...

well. Could take the perma-detect magic and kick it back a couple levels (6th?), maybe even amplify it, so perma-arcane sight at 12th, and perma-greater arcane sight at 18th. This would give some more reason to stay with the class and a little less front-loading. Although would probably make them "at-will" (free action) instead of perma, or the arcane sight would be a pain for me as a DM if a player takes it.

The unweaving...do you see this as a problem? This is their big assistance in battle. This ability is basically worthless if you just 1 or 2 level dip. I could see the base ability being dropped to 1/2 level or 2/3rd level. Then maybe increase the benefit for actually using effort to 3 or 4 per spell level equivalent of effort

thoughts?

Thia Halmades

First Post
Good morning.

I think I see some of what you're saying here, but I'll try to clarify my points a bit better and address where you're going with this. I also have a clearer idea of what you've written, and the variant that I created (I don't know if I have the original email chain anymore, but) is called a Void Mage. The Void Mage is a natural counter-spell class, who's primary abilities are natural entropy (5% cumulative chance every other level that any spell cast at a Void Mage automatically fails; however, it also acts as a stacking Arcane Spell Failure, so he had more HP and relied on items instead of trying to cast straight up).

Further, the Void Mage had the option to counter anything cast in his area, and this ability also improved over levels. It was based on the entropy mages from Mage: The Ascension. I also included some luck modifiers in there to reflect their natural ability to reshape whole chunks of reality, but usually to the detriment of others. I bring this up because it's an incredibly similar concept to what you've done for Unweaving.

To answer that question first: Yes, I consider the ability to 'unweave' anything to be overpowered. Look at it this way; a caster has a certain number of slots they can expend, per day, to do specific things with. Even a Bard has only so much 'energy' he can expend on songs per day. Under a free unweave system, then no spell caster in the world would ever have a chance against them. Ever.

"Fireball!" "Nope."
"Uh... Magic Missile!" "Not today."
"Er... Teleport?" "So solly, Charlie."

Under that scenario your 'unweaving' becomes unstoppable. Second (this combos into my next point) your class is precendented on having all of the craft feats granted for free at first level. This is badly unbalanced against other classes; 'Frontloading' is getting something for nothing just by taking a class at first level. At first level in your class I get:

- All of the craft feats
- Counter Anything at will
- The freedom to sling any cantrip an unlimited number of times per day. With a few more levels I can toss any & all 1st level spells (Magic Missile!) an unlimited number of times per day.

Once I've taken, say, first level in this class, absolutely nothing prohibits me from going outside of the class and picking up whatever I want to play; Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, etc. Can you imagine a Rogue, who can cast Darkness & Silence nearly at will and counter anything cast in his general direction? Not only are they the perfect assassins, by the time they approach ANY magical trap they instantly and without resistance disarm it. There's no power-gamer who wouldn't take this power. Ever. Which sets off the unbalance alarms in my head.

In order to craft a balanced class you have to look at both the base classes & the PrCs which are available. Take something like Warlock (C.Arc.) who can, effectively, create any item in the game with the appropriate levels and a UMD check. Any. Item. It's extremely powerful, but they still require time, resources, the feat selection, etc. Smart players will likely start creating Wands of Cure Light Wounds early on, though. They still need the feats to do it, but the option is there. Your build doesn't even have that restriction; they can even suck the XP from other people; there's nothing stopping every Spell Weaver from being insanely wealthy early in their careers.

And with all that, my primary concern of how they're effective in combat still stands. I may not be phrasing it well, and I appreciate that. Simply put: There are plenty of creatures and effects who just aren't dependent on spells in the slightest. Against those MOBs, the class is worthless, especially at higher levels. They can't melee (no armor, no HP, no BAB) and they can't boom-chuck (time dependent). They can't toss abjurations or heals as quickly as a Cleric (they convert damage, instead of actually healing it, which means anyone down will still be down). A high level encounter will get this PC build mulched.

Meanwhile, your primary casters will be tossing heals, buffs, and Save or Dies against everything in the zone. What, in that time, will the Weaver be doing that can compete with those classes? I'm not talking about campaign specific situations (although I have to wonder can they unweave Blasphemy when used by a Klurichir at will? The way I read that ability is simply this: every word they utter is Blasphemous; hence, it's a free action. They open their mouths and wham - over you go) as much as I'm talking about good old, by-the-book monster slaying D&D. I don't see these guys capable of holding their own.

Also, your design choice (change the Arcane Sight progression) is headed in the right direction, but I would limit to X/day. Otherwise you'll have no secrets. Trust me, I've seen this happen: "As you approach the cave..." "Arcane Sight." "What?" "Is it magical?" "Dude, it wasn't magical FIVE MINUTES ago when you last checked. It's a cave." "Right, Arcane Sight." "Argh..." There's an Incantatrix build that does the same thing, I had to nerf that bad boy within two minutes of the ability hitting the field of play.

Oh, right, before I forget: how exactly does this class progress magically? What spells, when are they learned, etc.? I'm unclear on that point.

Good morning!

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
good morning!!

thanks again for input

Thia Halmades said:
The Void Mage is a natural counter-spell class, who's primary abilities are natural entropy (5% cumulative chance every other level that any spell cast at a Void Mage automatically fails; however, it also acts as a stacking Arcane Spell Failure, so he had more HP and relied on items instead of trying to cast straight up).

interesting, will need to take a look

Thia Halmades said:
Once I've taken, say, first level in this class, absolutely nothing prohibits me from going outside of the class and picking up whatever I want to play; Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, etc. Can you imagine a Rogue, who can cast Darkness & Silence nearly at will and counter anything cast in his general direction? Not only are they the perfect assassins, by the time they approach ANY magical trap they instantly and without resistance disarm it. There's no power-gamer who wouldn't take this power. Ever. Which sets off the unbalance alarms in my head.

perhaps I need to rework my wording and weaken the unweaving, maybe just drop the unweaving entirely if I cnanot get it balanced

Sounds like we are still not quiet meeting eye to eye on how it currently works (although, I do see some of the problems you mention)

1 dip to counter everything? No...well, not unless everything only has a caster level of 1, as you have to have a higher caster level than what you are unweaving. Although I can see this being problematic as I currently have it. Perhaps if your Spell Weaver level / 3 is equal to or greater than the caster level of the target spell. then each "spell level" devoted increases your score by..say 3 or 4. In addition, the base unweaving does not improve when multiclassing, only your actual Spell Weaver levels.
ex - Bob is a 6th level spell weaver. He can unweave any spell with a caster level of 2 or less. To dispell higher, he must either spend time or fatigue (or combo).

2. Feats for item crafting. This I need to reword it seems. I thought I had put in that they could not multi-class into any other spellcasting class (prestige that gives +1 caster level is fine, but nothing with its own progression), as the philosophies were too different. Therefore to craft much of anything you have to stick with this class. And of course you still have to meet the caster level requirements, again making the 1 level dip worthless.

Thia Halmades said:
And with all that, my primary concern of how they're effective in combat still stands. I may not be phrasing it well, and I appreciate that. Simply put: There are plenty of creatures and effects who just aren't dependent on spells in the slightest. Against those MOBs, the class is worthless, especially at higher levels. They can't melee (no armor, no HP, no BAB) and they can't boom-chuck (time dependent). They can't toss abjurations or heals as quickly as a Cleric (they convert damage, instead of actually healing it, which means anyone down will still be down). A high level encounter will get this PC build mulched.

I didn't want to up their spellcasting, as they already have amazing versitility. Do you think BAB/hit die needs increasing. BTW - they could do armor, just don't start with the proficiency. Remember that they only need verbal or somantic. They can avoid spell failure by using only verbal. Of course, this means that in a silence area, they need either no armor or suffer spell failure

Thia Halmades said:
Also, your design choice (change the Arcane Sight progression) is headed in the right direction, but I would limit to X/day. Otherwise you'll have no secrets. Trust me, I've seen this happen: "As you approach the cave..." "Arcane Sight." "What?" "Is it magical?" "Dude, it wasn't magical FIVE MINUTES ago when you last checked. It's a cave." "Right, Arcane Sight." "Argh..." There's an Incantatrix build that does the same thing, I had to nerf that bad boy within two minutes of the ability hitting the field of play.

see what you mean...although the problem would already exist with the simple detect magic, the only thing arcane sight does is to make it a quicker and provide info on spellcasters (must admit, have yet to have a player actually use the spell, so haven't read too much up on it)

Thia Halmades said:
Oh, right, before I forget: how exactly does this class progress magically? What spells, when are they learned, etc.? I'm unclear on that point.

and this is why I had their overall spellcasting limited, for they effectively know all spells of the level that they can cast. As to what level they can cast..depends.

"Spell Casting Enhancement
This can increase one of two aspects of their spellcasting. The first is to gain access to higher level spells. The Spell Weaver starts being able to cast up to 1st level spells. A Spell Weaver cannot cast spells higher than ½ their level (round up). The other use of the Spell Casting Enhancement is to gain additional “Tired” fatigue levels (this will be explained later)."

basically, you could have a 20th level Spell Weaver that could only cast 1st level spells, but would have a lot of "tired" fatigue levels. Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, as I imagine most will want access to higher level spells

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
Hmm. Should probably sate that one of my goals is to increase power at low levels and axe power at high levels. basically, want it to actually be balanced to the non-magic types across the levels, unlike the wizard/sorcerer that bite at low levels and rule at high levels.

Remove ads