• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Also, while I don’t really like the halfling (sorcerer?) art, at least her head seems less grotesquely gigantic than the halflings in the 2014 PHB.

MGibster

Legend
My problem with the cover (back cover too) is that they just don’t look like finished pieces of art to me. I know WotC likes this “painterly” style, and have throughout 5E really, but too me it just looks rough, unfinished, and kinda messy.
I do appreciate that they abandoned the dungeon punk aesthetic present in third edition. These adventurers look like they're all wearing practical clothing and armor.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Is it acceptable to not like this art? It's just not connecting or inspiring me like previous art has. Then again I'm probably not the target audience for 6e purchases, given I prefer the older styles of d&d, like 1e and 2014 5e, or like Shadowdark or DCC.
I absolve thee of thine grognardiness.

I like it. It's okay, not shattering my world but it does what I think a PHB cover should aim to do. But like with most books its what's inside that mosts interests me.

Remove ads

Remove ads