• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Undermining this somewhat is everyone except the centre lady (a mage?) is just very bog-standard, with the most stereotypical dwarf possible and the ranger is so stereotypical you can not only tell she's a ranger, but you wonder if she's cosplaying Ranger from the D&D cartoon.

To be fair, every single player I’ve ever encountered who decides to play a Ranger, well, plays them as the stereotypical Aragorn from the Peter Jackson Fellowship of the Ring movie.

Well, except that one homeschooled teenaged player whose parents had never let him read Lord of the Rings, but for some reason had no problem with him reading some book titled the Feral Girl.

B9anders

Explorer
Marvel-posing, brush-cartoon style. Very meh. I'd have preferred a scene showing a group actually doing stuff an adventurer group might be doing.

For similar reasons, I really like the internal art example of the old saturday morning cartoon group exploring a temple entrance.

This point was about the internal wizard art, not the cover art. Which seems to have triggered far more discussion than the cover itself. Which suggests the wizard art is better than the cover, at least by a certain measure. I agree with your point about the subjectivity, but if you did want an objective measure, then the amount of discussion is surely as good as any?
To be clear, I would have liked that internal wizard for the cover.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I read the draconic head at the bottom of the image as a red dragon, but yeah, now that I look at it, it’s another Kobold. I think I saw it first and thought the adventurers were between two dragons, before seeing the Kobolds.

So, first PHB to include an adventuring party and a dragon? I’m still seeing that as a win.
No.. I definitely think that's a red dragon.. It's getting ready to breathe fire.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
Undermining this somewhat is everyone except the centre lady (a mage?) is just very bog-standard, with the most stereotypical dwarf possible and the ranger is so stereotypical you can not only tell she's a ranger, but you wonder if she's cosplaying Ranger from the D&D cartoon.
I assumed she was a rogue, but I can see ranger too.

It would be cool to see them breaking some moulds. Make the Dwarf a Warlock or something. Make the Paladin a Halfling. Throw in a Half-Orc Cleric.

mamba

Legend
I expect you have seen (or at least had in front of your eyes) a lot of pieces that you didn't feel any need to comment on at all, and you have pretty much forgotten about.
sure, both good and bad, but they did not have threads here. What do you think the purpose of those threads is? Do you think those pieces would not have gotten comments if they were meant for the next PHB and had a thread here?

The difference is the context, not the art.

Remove ads

Remove ads