• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New D&D Monster Builder Coming March 22

Dannager

First Post
I'm not so worried about features; I don't feel there's as much to cover as with the CB. Also, the old Monster Builder leaks memory like a sieve. What I am concerned about is any potential limits on the number of monsters. Aside from old math to new math conversions, I do a fair bit of alternative monster creation, much like what is described in the article today. I don't want to have to print and delete monsters just to make room for more.

However, I'm not going to rush to delete the offline MB either.

Out of curiosity, has anyone reported reaching the online CB's character limit over the course of normal use (that is, not by purposefully attempting to create enough characters to max out their account)?

On Puget Sound

First Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone reported reaching the online CB's character limit over the course of normal use (that is, not by purposefully attempting to create enough characters to max out their account)?

Yes! I GM in 2 campaigns (so I want access to all my players' characters) and play in 3, and I recently got the "you have too many characters" message. It's annoying, since I enjoy playing with new character options. I had to export a couple, do my experimenting, export those and re-import the originals. Pain in the butt! I sent a note to WOTC-Trevor telling him how I felt about it.

Aegeri

First Post
I can save monsters I create in this? Oh wow! What a generous feature of your software Wizards. I thought you'd require me to get a pen and a piece of paper to write out the monsters stat block down by hand after I was done with it. Minding, I probably will have to do so anyway after I save the maximum 20 stat blocks or whatever nonsense I get.

eriktheguy

First Post
Just out of curiosity, does this new program even make a difference? When you build a custom monster you can just use the downloadable builder that's already on your computer. It's not going to become obsolete like the character builder because you don't have to choose options for your monsters.

Only when you want to use a new monster released after the live builder goes up would you need to use the live builder.

So I guess the only problem is that you can't really modify any of the new monsters that come out after this builder goes live (well, you can, but only within the limitations of the software).

But that's not really an issue. You don't need new monsters to modify. You can create any monster you could think of by modifying old ones.

kaomera

Explorer
Just out of curiosity, does this new program even make a difference? When you build a custom monster you can just use the downloadable builder that's already on your computer. It's not going to become obsolete like the character builder because you don't have to choose options for your monsters.
It's already obsolete, in that it doesn't account for the July 2010 update, and therefore won't re-level monsters correctly.

the Jester

Legend
Just out of curiosity, does this new program even make a difference? When you build a custom monster you can just use the downloadable builder that's already on your computer.

Except that it is terribly buggy, dropping information and randomly resetting some numbers some of the time.

Also I don't know that it has the updated damage expressions and such in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads