• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New D&D Next Packet Is Available

BobTheNob

First Post
Im actually very happy with the Druid. I never liked that whole "Scan the MM for the toughest killing machine you can justify" bit, then the "change into whatever I damn-well like to get around any situation you can think of". Long and short of it, in some players hands, the shapechange was just too powerful (3.5 druid that is).

This one sets a precedent that is nice : Yes, you can shapechange, but the ability has boundries, and if you want to go to combat with it you can IF you are the Moon Circle.

Liking it so far.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Someone should probably mention to them that BattleAxes should be Versatile, just like the Bastard sword. And they still didn't fix the weapon weights! I'm going to hound Wotc/Mearls until they fix weapon weights, it's one little thing but bugs quite a few people and is trivial to fix.

-Agree with others here that a core class feature of the paladin, especially the "cavalier" being his mount, gets it at level 8. Maybe let your mount start off weaker but at least get it at level 1. You should get something at level 1 related to your class title. Seems kind of cheap to not at least give a bonus to charging or something.
-Weapon mastery is essentially a damage reroll? Isn't that a little OP? Esp for DW types. I see tons of specialties including that feat, which IMO is a good reason to remove it (feat tax?). Just grant it to fighters and barbarians and rangers at different levels. I don't want to chose between something fun and something good but boring, like previous editions' Weapon Focus + Weapon Expertise. I'm all in favour of removing weapon favoritism and especially baked-in bonuses into races (proficiency is fine), but at least make it so there are some variants in the magic items, or even allow some racial-based masterwork versions like they had in other editions and packets. E.g. Dwarven WarAxe, should be an expensive but mundane d10/d12 versatile weapon, but cost > 1k gp. (why not, it's the equivalent of past editions masterworks weapons, that only provide +1 damage but not +1 to hit as well)
-Why no Dwarven Thrower battle axes? What if I don't like Warhammers?
-Barbarian rage, I don't like only giving damage bonus on one attack. If you whiff? It sucks. Just make it a flat +2 on melee damage, instead of a +3 on only one attack per round. It's an annoying limitation that gets worse as you level and get more attacks.
+Also agree with other posters here, that dual wielding is missing a classic config (why no battle ax + hand ax, or longsword + short sword combo? It's either light/light or normal/normal with a feat). The default should be normal/light without training. You trade your offhand shield for a bit of extra damage with a light weapon, then if you want to upgrade, it's the cost of a feat. Then again, if you want light + light then upgrade to normal/normal, all of a sudden the feat seems really good. But I don't see why there's a prerequisite to gain superior two-weapon fighting at level 9, what if you want to keep using your dual scimitars because you've found magic ones, but you want your offhand damage?

- I used to be a fan of double weapons, but now I agree they're cheesy and especially since they confer no real benefit over two light weapons and no extra training (indeed, TWF feat doesn't benefit you at all with a double weapon, and it's a pre-req for the level 9 upgrade, i.e. a feat tax), should just be removed from the core game and added in in a later splat book. Get the core stuff right, then add more once its released, so that the system and game designers have time to adjust and iron out the kinks. An "Ultimate Combat" book should be the place to add all those fancy weapons. E.g. I'd say "double weapons" should be whatever has two ends or even two sided (such as a double-bladed battle axe), or just remove that entirely. I don't see why it's easier hitting two creatures with a double-axe vs a double-bladed axe, both being used two-handed. Or even a bastard sword. Basically, I'd be okay with TWF being only useable with two physically separate weapons, to mimic the left/right arms being independent. A double-sword would be more defensive, or give bonuses to maneuvers like whirlwind attack, or maybe only grand its extra attack when fighting multiple opponents.

I like that they are focusing on the core of the game with simple rules, and I look forward to playing DDN with my friends, even if we have to house rule a whole bunch of stuff.

Kavon

Explorer
Not sure if I'm reading it right, but the way I understand it is that each Druid can turn into one only of those forms. They are all mechanically equivalent, so the choice is a matter of flavor. Forest-dwelling Druids may normally turn into wolves, while a desert-themed Druid might know the jackal form.
Yeah, I realize that. What I would like is to have a choice besides "Hound" for the level 1 wildshape form, with different stats/abilities, from which you have to pick one that you use. This would give some more variation.

They are normally referred to as short and powerful; ending in three 6-inch long claws capable of easily tearing flesh.
Hm, yeah, I suppose that could be how it is. The imagery available varies quite a bit about about the actual size of the arms and everything.

Li Shenron

Legend
Maybe it's just me, but after reading the druid section, I feel like the forms are just begging to be folded into spells. So instead of "Form of the Hound" being called out as a class ability, it's just a 1st level druid spell.

That way, the pure healer, the pure blaster, and the pure shapeshifter can exist in harmony along with all their mixed options. And the circles can work in a consistent manner, which isn't a huge deal, but would make me feel better.

This could also be a good design.

Right now, they're trying at least to allow a lesser or greater focus on wildshape for druids of different circles, but there is no non-wildshaping druid option.

Folding wildshape into spells would allow much greater flexibility if they would treat druid spells like wizard spells for the purpose of which ones each druid learns (i.e. not automatically knowing them all like clerics), but they're never going to do that. And if all druids automatically know all spells, then they would all be even more equal than they are now... of course they could ignore wildshape spells, at least until someone else in the party starts protesting that it would be useful to use them now.

The other problem is that wildshape is also a sort of class-defining feature, and they want to highlight the presence of that rather than bury it into spells.

But I wouldn't be against it, in fact I even like 3.0 version of druid's animal companion as a spell!

Li Shenron

Legend
Yeah, I realize that. What I would like is to have a choice besides "Hound" for the level 1 wildshape form, with different stats/abilities, from which you have to pick one that you use. This would give some more variation.

Uhm... not everyone will like that. We're talking about level one, and between spells, wildshape and possibly skills & feats, there's plenty of flexibility already, and the class (in standard version) is already fairly complicated.

I think at best I'd be fine with a feat (or something else) that adds more form already at 1st level, but giving more form by default would be too much IMGHO (also considering that in previous editions you had zero forms at 1st level, so 5e is already adding something here).

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Uhm... not everyone will like that. We're talking about level one, and between spells, wildshape and possibly skills & feats, there's plenty of flexibility already, and the class (in standard version) is already fairly complicated.

I think at best I'd be fine with a feat (or something else) that adds more form already at 1st level, but giving more form by default would be too much IMGHO (also considering that in previous editions you had zero forms at 1st level, so 5e is already adding something here).

I think he means letting people choose their character's (one) wild shape. Not giving each character the ability to morph into more than one wild shape.

Kavon

Explorer

What GX.Sigma said, yeah. You pick one form and you stick with it. Though I suppose having a larger selection through feats might be a nice idea. ^^

mattcolville

Adventurer
Looking at 5E as it stands, and reading this thread, I think there's a fundamental disconnect between what WotC is doing, and what players expect.

Coming off 4E and, to a lesser extent, 3E, I think Mike wants to make a game that's easy to mod. Easy for even a novice player to say "Hound is cool, but what about, like, a bobcat?" Well, the Hound info is both short and straightforward. I'm confident even a relatively novice player could just make a Bobcap wildshape option that was almost identical to the Hound with like one tweak so his player felt special.

I get exactly the same feeling from the Paladins. The Oaths are easy to mod. I think people will enjoy modding them. Enjoy making their own.

And that, I think, is what WotC wants. That's what this ruleset is designed to support. Making it easy for people to create their own content.

Now, you compare Oaths and Wildshapes with Spells, and there's some schizophrenia there. Spells are super-specific and quirky and I suspect a new player would not feel comfortable just inventing a new spell. That being said, there are TONS of spells, so maybe the expectation is: you'll use those, and create new kinds of Wizards.

They could have a strong beefy arm coming out of their neck.

The problem with putting one of those big, beefy arms back on Allosaurus is that it looks really good coming out of the back of his neck there. Consequently, the Allosaurus majesty ratio, relative to other dinosaurs, is completely unbalanced. That utterly compromises the IRL implied (?) setting of Tyrannosaurus Rex being the king of dinosaurs. As such, if you must go that route then you would have to give T Rex either wingalings or his V's would have to be an order of magnitude more consummate than Allosaurus's V's. At this point, its just escalation. An order of magnitude more consummate V's would lead to his entire body being covered with spinities and angry eyebrows. Yes, that is a lot of majesty but where does it end? When does a dinosaur stop being a dinosaur?

Remove ads