• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

Well, gotta start working on building that character recognition somewhere! Better 50 years late than never.
WotC owns Baldurs Gate 3's IP and people are literally going insane over Astarion and Shadowheart. They have all these talented writers like Larian or Bob Salvatore creating characters for them and they're like... "No, Yoldanda B. Elf, that's what gets peoples' blood pumping"

Stormonu

Legend
Oh? What did I miss?
Nothing nefarious, but the armor has been changed (normally, he has chain mail on the arms instead of the blue padded armor; the shoulder protection is different and his armor is not seamless around the chest/stomach). He's also normally depicted with the face plate up and it really stands out he's the only one whose face is covered.

It was why I thought it was a the cavalier from the 2E PHB instead of Strongheart at first.

(The 2E PHB cover, BTW, is probably the most "WTF how is this D&D and not some historical RPG?" - there is NOTHING that stands out as fantasy on that cover).

The latest artwork for his figure boxed set
1715720111540.jpeg

Last edited:

Baldur's Gate 3 was not a big hit when the art order would have been written.
The game had been doing gangbusters for years as an early access title, it didn't really "come out" in 2023. Hell WotC greenlit an entire MTG set about the game years before it came out; they could've used some of the art from those cards.

Mercador

Adventurer
Only a brief description: "the new alternate Player’s Handbook depicts a gorgeous scene of elves and a sinuous gold dragon, all printed in a gold foil treatment."
I don't need it but I know I'll get it nonetheless. I guess I love collecting those books.

Remove ads

Remove ads