• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Defender Mark #1

Narkaious

First Post
Shadow Possession
At-Will <> Chakra, Shadow
Move Action Blast 3
Target: 1 enemy in blast
Attack:Cha + 2 Vs. Will
Increase to +4 at 11th level, and +6 at 21st level.
Hit: You become Immobilized, and the target is Immobilized. These effects end when: you take a free action to dismiss all effects, use this power again, use another power without the Shadow keyword, the target escapes by making an Athletics or Acrobatics check against your Will defense, or the target is out of range.
Effect:The target is marked while immobilized, or if you missed the attack until the end of your next turn.

I have also posted this at WotC, but was hoping I could some feed back here. So let me know what you think

Last edited:

Narkaious

First Post
I was hoping to get some kind of response. No one has any thoughts on this? No "OMFG, that's broken!!!!" or that sucks aweful? Please critique if you need more info that to is a valid thought so please let me know.

Fede

First Post
(This is the second time i'm writing this post because the forum messed up something....)

Ok, i'll write my thoughts about this power.

But first i have to ask: what class is going to use this power? Con and Cha are primary or secondary stats(i'm going to assume Cha primary and Con secondary)?
This class is ranged or melee? (Because if you have to use only shadow powers, if you are restrained and have a ranged attack it's a -2 penalty, but if you use melee attacks it may be imposible to close with the enemy)

I think that this could be an ok power, but as a defender's mark it doesn't compare with the others. Other marks are either minor actions (paladin and i think swordmage) or part of an attack (fighter), while this is a standard action.

Also, this doesn't make you more attractive to attack (or, better said, make your allies less attractive to attack), but it blocks more than one enemy; so it seems to me more of a controller power than a defender's mark.

So, i think it could be an encounter power for a controller class, but i don't see it as a mark for a defender.

Narkaious

First Post
Thanks for the feed back. You guessed right on the stats, in this case Cha primary, Con secondary. This is actually the first in a heritage line of feats for a custom class, which for the time being will remain without a name.

I disagree that you are more attractive to attack because you cannot make AoO and grant CA for being restrained yourself, but I understand your reasoning for the lack of closing. This is going to be a close, but not nessacarily melee, defender, which is part of why I want to check the balance. This class after taking the appropriate feats will go from a controller to an odd defender type with controller tendancies.

and once again thanks for the feed back Fede.

Narkaious

First Post
No one other than Fede has a comment for my marking power? It is hard to know what to improve or if improvements are required or if I should scrap the project.

keterys

First Post
So, I like the flavor of it fine - my biggest concern would probably be that you can restrain creatures where they can't attack anything, so I'd suggest that it also pull targets adjacent then restrain them.

Narkaious

First Post
I thought I mitigated that to some degree by allowing them to make a skill check to escape. I could shorten up the range. And when I post the class later you will see that this is a replacement feature, through heritage feat,for a controller. and thanks for the feedback

Narkaious

First Post
I edited the power in the first post to what I have now after some feedback I got on the WotC boards. I still plan on posting the class in the near future but I have little time for that in the moment

Dragongrief

Explorer
Interesting power. Definitely useful in certain situations, but there are a few questions that need to be asked on whether it's useful as a Marking ability.

1 - Do basic attacks count in regard to the Shadow keyword restriction? (technically they are At-will powers)

2 - How accessible will powers with the Shadow keyword be? Would there be a full set available? At-wills, Encounters,...

If there aren't many Shadow powers available, then essentially you are giving up any other effectiveness in order to hold 1 enemy in place. This is even more of a trade off if basic attacks would break the effect.

If there are few Shadow powers and/or basic attacks break it, then allowing it to affect multiple enemies might be more balanced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads