New DRAGON+ Delves Into Ravenloft; Includes CURSE OF STRAHD Preview Adventure

The brand new issue of DRAGON+, WotC's D&D news app, is out - and it's full of Ravenloft goodness. This issue contains an interview with Jum Zub (writer of the upcoming Minsc in Barovia story in the D&D comic), a talk with Tracy and Laura Hickman, who created the original Ravenloft module, a 'travel piece' on Barovia, some video game content (top six warlock features in Sword Coast Legends), a copy of the recent Unearthed Arcana Mystic class, a look at D&D board games, and interview with Acquisition Inc's Patrick Rothfuss, an article on disabled characters in D&D, and some recent Sage Advice from Jeremy Crawford.

The brand new issue of DRAGON+, WotC's D&D news app, is out - and it's full of Ravenloft goodness. This issue contains an interview with Jum Zub (writer of the upcoming Minsc in Barovia story in the D&D comic), a talk with Tracy and Laura Hickman, who created the original Ravenloft module, a 'travel piece' on Barovia, some video game content (top six warlock features in Sword Coast Legends), a copy of the recent Unearthed Arcana Mystic class, a look at D&D board games, and interview with Acquisition Inc's Patrick Rothfuss, an article on disabled characters in D&D, and some recent Sage Advice from Jeremy Crawford.

You can get Dragon+ from the iOS and Android app stores, or
view it on your desktop. The issue also includes a preview adventure for Curse of Strahd called Death House. It's a 12-page PDF is a min-adventure designed to get characters to 3rd level as they explore a haunted townhouse, while introducing characters to the land of Barovia. "This preview introduces characters to the land of Barovia. The Curse of Strahd book includes the original adventure, as well as expanded material developed in consultation with Tracy and Laura Hickman. It expands what we know about the lands around Castle Ravenloft and sheds new light on the dark past of the castle’s lord. The lands of Barovia are from a forgotten world in the D&D multiverse, and this adventure gives glimpses into that world. In time, cursed Barovia was torn from its home world by the Dark Powers and bound in mist as one of the Domains of Dread in the Shadowfell."

dp1.jpg
dp2.jpg
dp3.jpg
dp4.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.56.01.png

JTorres

First Post
The Ampersand Cover for this issue is the best one I've seen so far. It screams Poe as much as it does Ravenloft. I would love a poster of this image.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Has Barovia always had cultists? I ask because there was a lot of eye-rolling about cultists in both Tyranny of Dragons and Princes of the Apocalypse, and I hope that doesn't carry over to Curse of Strahd.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Has Barovia always had cultists?

Yes, but they're the Cult of the Morninglord, based loosely on the worship of Lathander in the Forgotten Realms. The party will more likely be working with the cultists than against them in this adventure.

--
Pauper

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
There's an evil cult in the introductory adventure. Seems to be just a few depraved people getting their jollies, though; it might be possible to run the adventure without actually using the words "cult" or "cultist."

Has Barovia always had cultists? I ask because there was a lot of eye-rolling about cultists in both Tyranny of Dragons and Princes of the Apocalypse, and I hope that doesn't carry over to Curse of Strahd.

It's available on the D&D WOTC site as a wallpaper. It's not a poster, but it's a bigger version on the image...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
There's an evil cult in the introductory adventure. Seems to be just a few depraved people getting their jollies, though; it might be possible to run the adventure without actually using the words "cult" or "cultist."

I don't understand - without cults or cultists, how would I know it's a D&D 5e adventure?

Remove ads

Remove ads