• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

new Dragonborn Warlock

Killoth

First Post
so Im new to D&D and I wanted to make a black dragonborn wrarlock pacted to the great old one. what would be the best stats to have. Im switching from a level 3 half orc fighter so he should be level 3 and Im going with the tome pact. its a point buy system so I just wanna know how much to put into each stat and what are good spells for a level 3.

This would be the list of stats by importance: Cha, Con, Dex, Wis, Int, Str

Pre-racial stats (point buy in parentheses) should be: Str 8(0) Dex 14(7) Con 14(7) Int 8(0) Wis 12(4) Cha 15(9)

After applying racial bonuses, your Cha will be 16 and your Str will be 10. If you don't want the Int 8, you can take 2 points from Wis to make them both 10s.

Edit: As for spells, grab Eldritch Blast (PHB) and Greenflame Blade (SCAG) as your Warlock cantrips. Hex (PHB) and Misty Step (PHB) should be on your spells known. For your tome cantrips, Shillelagh (PHB) lets you use Cha for melee weapon attacks and pairs nicely with GFB. Sacred Flame (PHB) is another good cantrip to get via your tome. As for rituals to add via Book of Ancient Secrets, I recommend reviewing the spells to find ones that you like.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
thank you so much. is int any use to a warlock? or would 8 be enough. what is the scag?

Int isn't necessary for a warlock in general, although if it's important to your character concept, use the idea mentioned above of putting 2 build points each into Int and Wis.

SCAG = Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Just came to market this week, US$ 39.95, CAN$ 50.95, not available as a pdf.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, Killoth!

If you want to play a character with the greenflame blade cantrip, you will need a copy of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, or have a friend playing with you with a copy of the book.

Cheers!

Just make sure to use a staff as your arcane focus (if you don't want to use a component pouch), as it can double as a quarterstaff for Shillelagh purposes. YMMV if you try to go the rod = club route, as my tweets about it to the devs have gone unanswered.

kalani

First Post
Expect table variation when using an arcane staff in this manner. The shillelagh spell specifically requires the use of a quarterstaff or club. While an arcane staff can be used as an improvised quarterstaff, that doesn't make it an actual quarterstaff. Improvised weapons =/= actual weapons (they remain whatever object they were before, despite being used in a manner other than intended). Some DMs will allow this use, others won't.

You will not have this problem with a magical staff however, as they are both an arcane focus and a quarterstaff simultaneously (with few exceptions)

Killoth

First Post
G'day, Killoth!

If you want to play a character with the greenflame blade cantrip, you will need a copy of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, or have a friend playing with you with a copy of the book.

Cheers!
I just didn't use it as I don't have that book yet so its not something Im going to have access too

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads