• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dungeon Tiles - what do you want to see?

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
JustKim said:
I have wilderness tiles from Skeleton Key. The problem is that, one, a lush green outdoor area takes a lot more ink than a dungeon intersection, and two, outdoors is by nature really big. If I pay $16 for some outdoor tiles, $12 for foamcore to mount them on, $6 for spray adhesive, and $30 for new printer cartridges when I run out halfway through printing them, I've spent a lot of money. The WotC tiles are $10 for everything, so if I buy multiples for the big wilderness areas I want, I've still saved money.

I like printable tiles, but for colorful wilderness, it's not really feasible.

One advantage we offer over other tile manufacturers is our tiles are fully customizable-you get to choose what items/placement you want before printing. On our wilderness tiles you can select tree placements, boulders, cave entrances, etc.

Felon

First Post
More traps (the type you can see coming). Rotary blades, spears, and the like.

In general, we have enough floorspace for featureless rooms. We now need the features that go on it.

We also need terrain. Looking through the DMG, they give a lot of details exactly how of a forest should be taken up by light and heavy undergrowth, small and big trees, etc. I'd buy a few sets if I could actually lay out a forest like that rather than simply have to say "ok, everything more than 5 feet off the trail is difficult terrain" (which basically means the party is fighting on a blank battlemat). Throw in some stuff like logs and boulders too, maybe a big hole.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Tough call. I find both fatdragongames and skeletonkeygames tiles very useful. So, what I want from WotC is something different than those. Also, with the huge number of free tiles for printing out there, you often don't need to pay much for good stuff (other than printing costs, which aren't that high really).

First, the continued high quality.

Second, the tiles are pretty dark right now, maybe some lighter colors.

Third, more curvy stuff (like skeletonkeygames great cave tiles).

Fourth, tiles specifically made to match oddly shaped rooms in WotC published adventures.

Eonthar

Explorer
Another vote for round rooms.

Way too many places have round rooms to not include them.

Other than that, I love all the sets so far.

00Machado

First Post
teitan said:
I'd like to see WOTC try their hand at some 3-d style terrain. Nothing extravagant like Dwarven Forge but something mass produced and possibly inexpensive. Maybe a started box of them for 40 and expansion for 20 bucks or something...

Agreed. The dungeon accessories, ship, wilderness, caves/tunnels are all good as well.

To that I'd add town and city streets, castles, compounds (like a merchant family compound), and battlefield accessory set (like catapults and whatnot to use with the wilderness and castle sets)

00Machado

First Post
JustKim said:
I have wilderness tiles from Skeleton Key. The problem is that, one, a lush green outdoor area takes a lot more ink than a dungeon intersection, and two, outdoors is by nature really big. If I pay $16 for some outdoor tiles, $12 for foamcore to mount them on, $6 for spray adhesive, and $30 for new printer cartridges when I run out halfway through printing them, I've spent a lot of money. The WotC tiles are $10 for everything, so if I buy multiples for the big wilderness areas I want, I've still saved money.

I like printable tiles, but for colorful wilderness, it's not really feasible.

A good solution I've seen to cost saving here is to only use tiles/terrain for the 'interesting features' of the area. So for instance, if you're doing a forest, assume that the entire battle mat is one terrain type like grass or brush or dirt, and then only place a tile where the trees are, or where a building is, etc.

The example I saw was a graveyard using Paizo's tiles. They were spread out across the table, instead of all bunched up, and you saw that there was basically a tomb over here, some headstones over there, and the stuff in between you could fill in with your imagination, and know that for purposes of game play, the terrain there was all uniform. Can't find the link to the picture right now though :-(

00Machado

First Post
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
One advantage we offer over other tile manufacturers is our tiles are fully customizable-you get to choose what items/placement you want before printing. On our wilderness tiles you can select tree placements, boulders, cave entrances, etc.

FWIW, I like your products, and have several. Keep making cool stuff and I'll keep buying.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
00Machado said:
FWIW, I like your products, and have several. Keep making cool stuff and I'll keep buying.

Many thanks! We have several new tile sets scheduled for release throughout the year and a number of new 3D sets as well.

Remove ads