• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dwarven Favoured Class?

What Should the Dwarves Favoured Class be

• archivist

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • ardent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • artificer

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • barbarian

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • bard

• bardic sage

• battle sorcerer

• beguiler

• binder

• cleric

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • cloistered cleric

• crusader

• divine bard

• divine mind

• domain wizard

• dragon shaman

• dread necromancer

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • druid

• druidic avenger

• duskblade

• eidolon

• eidoloncer

• erudite

• favored soul

• fighter

Votes: 131 72.8%
  • healer

• hexblade

• incarnate

• knight

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • lurk

• marshal

• monk

• mystic

• ninja

• noble

• paladin

• paladin of freedom

• paladin of slaughter

• paladin of tyranny

• psion

• psychic warrior

• ranger

• rogue

• samurai

• savage bard

• scout

• shaman

• shugenja

• sohei

• sorcerer

• soulborn

• soulknife

• swordsage

• spellthief

• spirit shaman

• swashbuckler

• thug

• totem barbarian

• totemist

• truenamer

• urban ranger

• warblade

• warlock

• warmage

• wilder

• wilderness rogue

• wizard

• wu jen

Endur

First Post
I like Hammer of Moradin and Dwarven Defender better than fighter or paladin, but any of those four would work.

Nyeshet

First Post
JustKim said:
What kind of favored class is eidolon?
"Dwarves are good at being dead. A dwarf's favored class is eidolon."
Or maybe..
"The only good dwarf is a dead dwarf. A dwarf's favored class is eidolon."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, that was a good one. For future referrence, perhaps Eidolon and Eidolancer should be removed from the poll. :D

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

On another note, I was not being 'mean' in my prior post, I was merely stating that sometimes one chooses an answer for a poll before fully reading the question (esp if the poll makes it to the front page of the site). The poll seeks to find alternative base classes among the many now available, should any other class happen to better fit the image of the race in question. For Dwarves the Fighter / Artisan motif seems strongest, and as Expert is not a valid choice (being an NPC class) I would expect Fighter as the leading contender - irregardless of the fact that it is the current favored class.

Halflings and Gnomes, however, have multiple images attached to them. Some of those images match the current classes (arguably), but others do not - especially the more traditional image of the Gnome and Halfling. What I feel is likely to happen is that some will simply choose the favored class already associated with the race as a knee-jerk reaction (ie: hit the knee in the right place and the foreleg will jump up a bit automatically). This, I feel, will be especially true if either 1) the poll somehow ends up on the main page (still not sure who decides on that issue), or 2) they vote after reading only the first sentence without reading the rest of the initial post of the poll.

In any case, I look forward to the future polls. I wonder, however, how the Elves will do. The problem there is that several elven sub-races exist - of which the 'core' elven race is merely one amongst several (and not the most common one in some campaigns / settings). If anything, I expect elves to be more divisive than gnomes or halflings. I can easily see elves as sorcerers, bards, rangers, and even druids - as well as a host of other classes that are now available. WotC tries to get around this by having each sub-race granted a different favored class. Often, except for the 'core' sub-race, the class chosen actually matches the positive and negative aspects of the sub-race in question. Wizard, for instance, should never have been made the favored class of the core elven race. It is better suited to the Gray Elves (and their Int boost). It will be interesting to see the Elven one. I expect vast variance in opinions and some choices that match the image of elves but not the traits of the core sub-race of elves (such as 'Wizard').

Last edited:

ephemeron

Explorer
I'm not quite sure why, really (maybe it's the Viking ambience Herobizkit pointed out) but I really like the idea of dwarven berserkers. A lot of dwarves in the homebrew setting I may get to run a game in someday are Fighter/Barbarians; my dwarves are known for discipline in battle, and feared because of what they can do when pushed past the limits of discipline.

Nyaricus

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Personally, I think they'd be better if they were like this one. However, you might want to skip half-elf ("favoured class: any" in the core rules). That is, if you do decide to make them like this one.

Unless some people think they should have a favoured class? :confused: That would surprise me, considering most seem to believe that they are underpowered if anything.
Personally, I think that the half-elf in the PHB relfects only one-half of it's parentage, the same way the half-orc does. In either case, they favoured only one side of their parentage - the half orc his orcish lineage, and the half-elf his human side.

So, yes, I do think that half-elves should have a favoured class other than 'any', but I will include 'any' for the sake of including it.

On another note, I suppose those ghost classes should be removed from the poll options; they are a bit redundant, honestly.

Nyaricus

First Post
Nyeshet said:
On another note, I was not being 'mean' in my prior post, I was merely stating that sometimes one chooses an answer for a poll before fully reading the question (esp if the poll makes it to the front page of the site). The poll seeks to find alternative base classes among the many now available, should any other class happen to better fit the image of the race in question. For Dwarves the Fighter / Artisan motif seems strongest, and as Expert is not a valid choice (being an NPC class) I would expect Fighter as the leading contender - irregardless of the fact that it is the current favored class.

Halflings and Gnomes, however, have multiple images attached to them. Some of those images match the current classes (arguably), but others do not - especially the more traditional image of the Gnome and Halfling. What I feel is likely to happen is that some will simply choose the favored class already associated with the race as a knee-jerk reaction (ie: hit the knee in the right place and the foreleg will jump up a bit automatically). This, I feel, will be especially true if either 1) the poll somehow ends up on the main page (still not sure who decides on that issue), or 2) they vote after reading only the first sentence without reading the rest of the initial post of the poll.

In any case, I look forward to the future polls. I wonder, however, how the Elves will do. The problem there is that several elven sub-races exist - of which the 'core' elven race is merely one amongst several (and not the most common one in some campaigns / settings). If anything, I expect elves to be more divisive than gnomes or halflings. I can easily see elves as sorcerers, bards, rangers, and even druids - as well as a host of other classes that are now available. WotC tries to get around this by having each sub-race granted a different favored class. Often, except for the 'core' sub-race, the class chosen actually matches the positive and negative aspects of the sub-race in question. Wizard, for instance, should never have been made the favored class of the core elven race. It is better suited to the Gray Elves (and their Int boost). It will be interesting to see the Elven one. I expect vast variance in opinions and some choices that match the image of elves but not the traits of the core sub-race of elves (such as 'Wizard').
Nyeshet, I personally didn't think you were 'mean' in your post; personally I can see your side of the argument. But then again, to them their own, right?

I know some people will stick the halfling with the rogue, etc, but in the end, it doesn't matter. It's just about having some fun, and seeing what other peoples diverse opinions are (still not getting dwarven ninja, but hey :lol: ) and having a good conversation about it. I'm having fun, and appreciative that you are others are appreciative of what I'm doing, and looking forward to the future installments of it. I plan to keep it up :D

In any case, you were stating an opinion of how people will make their selectiosn which may be partially true. For halfing/hobbits/kender they are oftentimes portrayed as being rogues, and thus people will choose rogue. You are asking a question to a biased audiance whose specialty *is* fantasy, by and far. If I went up to someone on their street and asked what should a halflings new favoured class should be, I'd either look like I grew three heads and an extra leg, or I'll get the crap beaten out of me.

So, so what! I'm having fun, you're having fun, is there any more justification needed? I think not.

As for polls, I think the most recently-posted poll get's front-page honours.

cheers,
--N

Herobizkit

Adventurer
ephemeron said:
I'm not quite sure why, really (maybe it's the Viking ambience Herobizkit pointed out) but I really like the idea of dwarven berserkers. A lot of dwarves in the homebrew setting I may get to run a game in someday are Fighter/Barbarians; my dwarves are known for discipline in battle, and feared because of what they can do when pushed past the limits of discipline.
WOO! Props!

Remove ads