New Dwarven Forge Kickstarter kicked off over the weekend...tempted, but...

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I use my Dwarven Forge for either small dungeon/cavern complexes, or just for key encounters. I always set it up ahead of time and if it's important the players don't see it ahead of time, I'll cover it with pieces of cardboard until I'm ready to unveil it. If I have a mini-scale map that will work, I will use that instead and not recreate it in DF, and I don't use DF for every encounter set-piece. My dungeon pieces (at least the Kickstarter Dwarvenite stuff) is all unpainted and we find we don't mind it so much. My caverns are all painted, except for the Ice Caverns. Maybe, someday, I'll paint the dungeon stuff, but it's just not that important to my group that everything be picture perfect representations.

I do make an effort to design climatic battles around it; I find it adds a little extra something, but for some thugs in the alley, Gaming Paper or Tact-Tiles are good enough.

Huge displays like you see in the advertisements or people show off on websites look great, but they're not practical for "everyday" use, UNLESS every session of every adventure takes place in that locale (which is why I didn't buy the city stuff* or the castle)

* I did get the sewers for the city, because I'll use those a lot more than city streets.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Honestly it's made from a powdery substance so priming first is a must. I tried to just wash it and it didn't stick well. I did a wipe-and-prime method and it worked quite well. It all depends on what material you use to make the actual tiles. The better quality stuff helps.

I got some of these in. Not sure what the material is but its hard and makes a loud clank when you knock it against the table. So I washed some off and then did a wash of Army Painter Strong Tone and then Army Painter Green tone. They came out like this.

20170704_170800_zpsolku7los.JPG

They have a bit more green tint in person, but I may do some with just the brownish wash alone. Not bad at all.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I pulled my support. One: they don't need my paltry money to make the Kickstarter a success. Two: Funds are tight with having to print two books for Gen Con. Three: I can't get exactly what I need without spending too much money, so I'll just pick through the bulk bins at Gen Con. Four: I'll get more use out of the RPGs I'm backing that will fund at about the same time because I DON'T use Dwarven Forge at every gaming session.

I love this stuff, but it's not a perfect world and I have to be practical for once. :/

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
We all have to make budge choices. My thing is do I spend 300+ bucks on a small set of this DF kickstarter or us that money on more Dungeonstone stuff? I know I'll get more moneys worth from Dungeonstone, and since the washing technique is working fine makes painting a breeze.

I just wonder what I can sub for Army Painter green tone? I really need large cans of the wash, which I can get with the Strong Tone.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi,

The listing is updated with the last area: Shrine of Sysuul:

Dungeons of Doom 3600/2550
the above, plus
Lava Bridge 949/665
Khri Colony 439/348
Shrine of Sysuul 498/369

That completes the main listings. Stretch and Add-On's are mostly but not yet wholly complete.

There is a very nice overview poster -- showing the relative sizes of the several dungeon areas -- now added to the KickStarter page:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...?w=680&fit=max&v=1498963125&auto=format&q=92&

Also of note, there is a Jade / Green version of the Shrine of Sysuul. Stand-alone, it is 523/394, but it is an optional free upgrade if you are getting the entire dungeon.

Add-on sets are mostly there, if you are looking to piece together a dungeon yourself, or are simply looking for extras. (I've personally have gotten the best utility from extra elevation and floor pieces.)

Thx!
TomB

tomBitonti

Adventurer
We all have to make budge choices. My thing is do I spend 300+ bucks on a small set of this DF kickstarter or us that money on more Dungeonstone stuff? I know I'll get more moneys worth from Dungeonstone, and since the washing technique is working fine makes painting a breeze.

I just wonder what I can sub for Army Painter green tone? I really need large cans of the wash, which I can get with the Strong Tone.

Have you tried either an art store or a basic paint store (Lowes, Home Depot, or a specialty store such as Sherwin Williams)? The art store very probably has what you want. Maybe pricey, but maybe not, since the pigments might be quite concentrated compared to what you need. The issue would be finding the right tone and dilution amount. Home Depot, &etc, would have bulk (we're talking quart and gallon sized cans). The issue would be finding something that is transparent. Maybe they can put pigment in a transparent base as a mixing option, but that seems a bit unusual for them, so I can't say if they are setup to do it.

Actually, model train supply stores sell a muddy green pigment in (relatively) large amounts. Good for a base coat or a overbrush coat. Not sure if it would work as a wash. I've used this together with basic brown as the base coat for terrain boards.

Edit: This might work, depending on you target color scheme:

http://www.hirstarts.com/painting/painting6.html

The colors I finally decided on are shown below. The Water Cavern Dark color is a dark olive drab, the Water Cavern Medium color is a medium khaki and finally the highlight is almost straight white.

There are nearby pages for other color schemes.

Thx!
TomB

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Have you tried either an art store or a basic paint store (Lowes, Home Depot, or a specialty store such as Sherwin Williams)? The art store very probably has what you want. Maybe pricey, but maybe not, since the pigments might be quite concentrated compared to what you need. The issue would be finding the right tone and dilution amount. Home Depot, &etc, would have bulk (we're talking quart and gallon sized cans). The issue would be finding something that is transparent. Maybe they can put pigment in a transparent base as a mixing option, but that seems a bit unusual for them, so I can't say if they are setup to do it.

Actually, model train supply stores sell a muddy green pigment in (relatively) large amounts. Good for a base coat or a overbrush coat. Not sure if it would work as a wash. I've used this together with basic brown as the base coat for terrain boards.

Edit: This might work, depending on you target color scheme:

http://www.hirstarts.com/painting/painting6.html

There are nearby pages for other color schemes.

Thx!
TomB

Yeah I'm not sure about how to recreate the wash effect I got with the Army Painter stuff and have it still be very easy. I can get the strong tone in a big can that I can dip parts into, but the green tone I can't. Maybe I'll just add some green pigment or ink to that.

I'll check out your links.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Yeah I'm not sure about how to recreate the wash effect I got with the Army Painter stuff and have it still be very easy. I can get the strong tone in a big can that I can dip parts into, but the green tone I can't. Maybe I'll just add some green pigment or ink to that.

I'll check out your links.

The hirst art page is good stuff, but I don't think he has a lot on washes. Maybe you want something like these:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/liquitex-professional-acrylic-ink?gclid=CNL2x6y589QCFdhMDQodY5EH9A

Follow the See Full Description link.

Thx!
TomB

pogre

Legend
Hi,

The listing is updated with the last area: Shrine of Sysuul:

Dungeons of Doom 3600/2550
the above, plus
Lava Bridge 949/665
Khri Colony 439/348
Shrine of Sysuul 498/369

That completes the main listings. Stretch and Add-On's are mostly but not yet wholly complete.

There is a very nice overview poster -- showing the relative sizes of the several dungeon areas -- now added to the KickStarter page:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...?w=680&fit=max&v=1498963125&auto=format&q=92&

Also of note, there is a Jade / Green version of the Shrine of Sysuul. Stand-alone, it is 523/394, but it is an optional free upgrade if you are getting the entire dungeon.

Add-on sets are mostly there, if you are looking to piece together a dungeon yourself, or are simply looking for extras. (I've personally have gotten the best utility from extra elevation and floor pieces.)

Thx!
TomB

I'm pounding this kickstarter. My wallet is wailing ;)

darjr

I crit!
The hirst art page is good stuff, but I don't think he has a lot on washes. Maybe you want something like these:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/liquitex-professional-acrylic-ink?gclid=CNL2x6y589QCFdhMDQodY5EH9A

Follow the See Full Description link.

Thx!
TomB

What?!?! I didn't think this was a thing! Thank you SO VERY MUCH. I wanted to get back into painting and saw this youtuber who paints with only inks, making it very fast to paint cool looking mini's. But that much ink just wasn't in the budget, but now! NOW! muwawhawhah!

in other words, thanks.

Remove ads