• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New FAQ entry on mis-sized reach weapons

Christian

Explorer
Yes, that seems pretty sensible. The only thing that still concerns me (and is the impetus, I think, for the FAQ ruling) is that the existence of Small reach weapons in 3.5 means that, given the rules for wielding mis-sized weapons, Medium characters can gain reach with one-handed weapons by using Small weapons, but any Medium weapon that gives reach has to be used with two hands. A Medium character could, for example, dual-wield Small spiked chains, or use a Small guisarme and a spiked shield. That's probably not game-breaking, given the -2 attack penalty for a mis-sized weapon and the reduced damage of the Small versions of those weapons. But it is difficult to rationalize why nobody can make a Medium one-handed spiked chain with 5'/10' reach and 1d6 damage. (Not as hard as it is to rationalize why a Small spiked chain has only 5' reach in the hands of a Medium character, of course.) Was it really that unbalanced that Small characters couldn't use reach weapons (and had reduced missile weapon ranges) in 3.0? :(

FireLance

Legend
For what it's worth, I don't think a one-handed exotic weapon that threatens at 5 ft. and 10 ft., has a threat range of 20 and a critical multiplier x2, and does 1d6 damage (Medium) or 1d4 (Small) is unbalanced.

I would think that disallowing Small characters from using reach weapons is more unbalancing. Ususal disclaimers apply: IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Coredump

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
The Savage Species system had a good idea, that was phrased confusingly.

Translated, though, and updated for 3.5:

A reach weapon 'shifts' the wielder's natural reach outward by a distance equal to the natural reach of the creature it is designed for.

Okay, so a halfling's glaive shifts his reach out from 5' to 10', and is a two handed weapon.

So if a human uses it, it will also shift it out from 5' to 10'. But it can now be wielded one handed. (though at a -2 for inappropriate size.)

Doesn't that still leave us with a dual weilding reach weapon?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Coredump said:
Doesn't that still leave us with a dual weilding reach weapon?

Sure, but I never had a problem with that.

Hell, in 3E, you could do with lances, without even taking the inappropriate size penalty!

-Hyp.

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
FireLance said:
For what it's worth, I don't think a one-handed exotic weapon that threatens at 5 ft. and 10 ft., has a threat range of 20 and a critical multiplier x2, and does 1d6 damage (Medium) or 1d4 (Small) is unbalanced.

Like the one that appears on page 145 of the DMG?

Goolpsy

First Post
Remember that most reach weapon cant hit 5 feet away.. only 10 feet away (seen from a medium/Small) perspective.. So even with dual wielding reach weapon users.. they are still doomed once the enemy gets too close...
Every thing has it upsides and downsides

werk

First Post
Christian said:
So a halfling with a Small longspear can strike opponents 10' away with it; but a human wielding that same Small longspear can only strike opponents 5' away.

Um, OK. I'll take that under advisement ...

I'm glad this is finally in there. It prevents exploitation of weapon size to gain reach without the penalties of wielding a 2-h weapon. I don't see a problem, and this is the way that I've played it since 3.5 in order to avoid the...issue.

What possible reason, besides exploit, would a medium character weild a small weapon?

Remove ads