• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New feat building on Weapon Finesse - 2 options, which works best?

TBoarder

Explorer
I'm trying to come up with a way to make low Strength, high Dex and/or Int Fighters a bit more appealing, and came up with these two ideas. Unfortunately they look like they're on opposite ends of the power scale, the first being really weak, the second being potentially really powerful (Especially when combined with the Duelist prestige class). Do either of these work? Any suggestions for how I can balance either (or both) versions?

Finesse Damage (General, Fighter)
Prerequisites: Weapon Finesse with weapon, Lightning Reflexes
Benefit: On the character's action, before making attack rolls for a round, the character may choose to subtract a number from the dexterity bonus he recieves to his AC and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed the character's current maximum dexterity bonus, even if it is lower than his normal dexterity bonus due to armor. The penalty on AC and bonus on damage applies until the character's next action. This bonus stacks with any use of the Power Attack feat.
Special: The character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time the character takes the feat, it applies to a new weapon.

Finesse Damage (General, Fighter)
Prerequisites: Weapon Finesse with weapon, Expertise, Lightning Reflexes
Benefit: With the selected weapon, the character may use an Intelligence modifier instead of a Strength modifier on damage rolls.
Special: The character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time the character takes the feat, it applies to a new weapon.

Crothian

First Post
Str is the way to do damage. I think that replacing it as the damage attribute when you can already replace it as the attack attribute will weaken strength too much. There should be penalties for low attributes.

There already is reason to play this type of fighter. You want extra damage getr specialization. Get your Str to 13 (not that hard) and take power attack. Take a few rogue levels and sneak attack. Take a barbarian level and rage.

From what I've seen these type of fighters are more appealing. I always see high Dex fighters, and rarely high strength fighters.

But on to the feats:

Finesse Damage (General, Fighter): I think it should just be a penalty to AC for a bonus to damage and limit it to one's BAB.

Finesse Damage (General, Fighter): I think you should not have a feat like this. It allows characters to get around having a low attribute and that's bad.

Archer

First Post
From the Q-splat books

Reckless Attack - Subtract from AC and add to damage an amount no higher than your BAB [str 15, power attack]

Change the pre-reqs and you've got your finesse-type feat.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads