New GSL Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Urizen said:
Unless I'm reading this thread wrong, I'm pretty sure that (AND I HOPE I"M WRONG), if you accept the terms of the GSL, you'll have to dump all your OGL stock.

I don't think you're wrong.

Adopting the GSL = (self inflicted) Revocation of the OGL.

Psion

Adventurer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Wholesale annihilation of the vast majority of the back catalog of quality 3e materials falls under "Feature," not "Bug."

You're Wizards in this scenario, right?

Cause otherwise, I'm scratching my head.

Urizen

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
I don't think you're wrong.

Adopting the GSL = (self inflicted) Revocation of the OGL.

Hey, maybe they'll give us all cyanide pills with the gsl too, because that kills off almost every low-to medium sized 3PP out there, hell, even the big guys take a massive hit on that.

Dragon Snack

First Post
This annoys me to no end, but I'm surprised that people didn't see this coming.

While nobody outright said it, some freelancers have hinted at it in the past few months. Most recently, Nick Logue's new company left 4.0 off the list of systems they would be supporting, which I thought was odd since he was one of the playtesters allowed to break his NDA with a positive review.

Lizard said:
Of course, I'm going to guess the license will have a "No shenanigans" clause, and the right of WOTC to pull it from any publisher trying to do an 'end run' around the spirit of the rule via dual companies, third party fronts, other other means.
I would think that this is exactly what Linae meant when she said they had considered all "corner cases"...

Psion

Adventurer
Dragon Snack said:
This annoys me to no end, but I'm surprised that people didn't see this coming.

Just upthread, people were demanding the doomsayers to fess up...

While nobody outright said it, some freelancers have hinted at it in the past few months.

There was a thread on this exact possibility over on the OGF-D20-L forum, save that it was about the branding issues. The poison pill aspect is new, but the effect is the same for companies that choose to support 4e.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
This is strongly discouraging me from buying into 4e. I like the OGL and being able to buy a variety of third-party publishers' works (plus the occasional WoTC one). I think this may push me into sticking with C&C as my game of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads