• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New GSL Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcus

First Post
Failed Saving Throw said:
James, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I'm bummed that, as things stand now, Paizo won't be able to put out any 4E material. I look forward to the full release of the Pathfinder rules, but I was really looking forward to seeing what the company would put out for 4E. It's a crappy turn of events.

FST (great name by the way)-

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but lets trust Scott and Linae.

I said that for the GSL when everyone was saying there wouldnt be one and lo and behold there is a GSL.

Now there is some confusion about the "poison pill" term of the GSL, and I admit I am a part of that confusion. But I still say lets trust Scott and Linae to get this resolved.

Will it be resolved on our timetable? No. Will that be frustrating? Yes. But they have done so much and for so long. Again, I think they deserve our trust here.

Clark

Rookseye

Explorer
Orcus said:
Oh!!!!!

A Rick Roll! Very nicely done.

Thanks. I felt we needed a little tension breaker after 800+ posts or so.

Oh, Jack Chick also told me he was very upset that the succubus was mislabeled a devil in 4th edition...the ones that regularly visit him felt their demonic heritage had been slandered quite intentionally by WotC.

For Orcus: [sblock]Looks like I finally got you back for calling my magical earhorn 'lame' in the first round of RPG Superstar! In hindsight, it was. Oh well, I hope you judge next time around Clark (if only so I can redeem myself) you did a great job and we all learned a lot! [/sblock]

Drow_Battlemind

First Post
The thing is, as manager of D&D for WotC, I feel sorry for Scott, because there is a veritable s**t-storm heading his way because of all this, and he's going to be the one to take the heat on this. Especially since I'm intuiting that many of the things that are outraging us in the community probably are not Scott's ideas, but most likely are things foisted upon him by Hasbro's legal department. And yet, he's the one and only visible target, so guess where the slings and arrows are going to be aimed?

Filcher

First Post
8:45 Vegas time. Saw The Rouse this afternoon and the dude looked haggard. No new GTS news on the GSL but it is all the d20 publishers are talking about. All the retailers are asking when the 1st 3rd party publishers will have 4E material for sale.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Ya know Clark, I've been pushing for clear, concise answers this whole thread. I'm totally happy to wait another couple of days if it means we get more clarity and less confusion. Even if the worst case scenario happens, at least we will know w/no confusion.

Greylock

First Post
Filcher said:
8:45 Vegas time. Saw The Rouse this afternoon and the dude looked haggard. No new GTS news on the GSL but it is all the d20 publishers are talking about. All the retailers are asking when the 1st 3rd party publishers will have 4E material for sale.

Interesting. 4th Edition is not much of a thrill to my local shops.

Filcher

First Post
Greylock said:
Interesting. 4th Edition is not much of a thrill to my local shops.

Not a thrill to the shop patrons, or the shop owners? (Yourself obviously. :) ) I could be entirely mistaken, but GTS retailers seem excited for 4E. The Wizards 4E seminar was packed.

Dark Mistress

First Post
The local stores around me only seem to have a lukewarm response to 4e. Granted it is a chain and all owned by the same people. But I think they feel slightly burned at once being stuck with a back stock of 3.0 stuff that wouldn't sell and now they have a big back stock of 3.5 stuff that they just currently can't give away.

Of course they sell a lot of stuff other than just gaming stuff too.

Mondbuchstaben

First Post
Dark Mistress said:
But I think they feel slightly burned at once being stuck with a back stock of 3.0 stuff that wouldn't sell and now they have a big back stock of 3.5 stuff that they just currently can't give away.
This is a more difficult situation than with 3e. When 3e was announced, it was a year before the the first book would appear, so the stores were given time to adapt. Also, they were actively discouraged to stock too much 2e stuff in hopes for a collectors market. WotC emphasized this by physically destroying their stock of 2e after a certain cut-off date.

This time stores have a harder time, as it is very unclear if there will remain a 3.x market - and how strong it will be (through Pathfinder etc.)

(It seems that the chances are slightly better that stores will be able to sell at least some of that 3.x stuff, though.)

Greylock

First Post
Filcher said:
Not a thrill to the shop patrons, or the shop owners?

Both. At the major game store, I talk to the owner quite often. He wants 4th Edition to sell, if for no other reason than to lively up things. But he's very pessimistic. As for the customers, the shop is pre-selling 4th Edition at deep discount. The boxed set, for instance, at $52.95. The signup sheet for presales? Not even half full, weeks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads