• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW! Half-Giant Race

Geist

First Post
Here it is a Half-Giant race for 3e please feel free to tell me what you think. also let me know what ECL you think this would be and also if i have the CR right for it.

Half-Giants

Large-Size Humanoid
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5hp)
Initiative: -1 (Dex)
Speed: 20ft. (Breastplate), base30 ft.
AC: 17 (-1 size, -1 dex, +2 natural, +5 Breastplate)
Attacks: Huge greatsword +4; or javelin -1 ranged
Damage: Huge greatsword 2d8 + 4; or Javelin 1d6+4
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft. / 10ft
Special Qualities: -
Saves: Fort +3, Ref –1, Will 0
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 9, Wis, 10, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +5, Jump +5, Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats: Throw anything

Climate/ Terrain: any land or mountain.
Organization: Solitary or groups 2-4
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class

Half giants speak common and giant.

Combat
Half giants prefer an upstanding fight with other fighters. They pride themselves on Strength and tactics.

Throw Anything: This feat allows the Half-Giant to turn anything he can pick up into a short range projectile with a range of 10 feet. If its a weapon he throws the damage is that of the weapon. If its something like a boulder or horse well thats up to the DM on what the damage is.

Half-Giant Characters:
A half-giant’s favored class is fighter

Wolf72

Explorer
Darksun?

CR 2 is probably a bit off, Ogre's are CR 2 and would kick the stuffing out of that 1/2-breed (but then again not all CR's are created equal) ... just an opinion

okay, CR is off ... but the Level Adjustment (LA) might be +2. Is that what you were thinking of?

at 5hp a first lvl wiz/sorc could possibly take this guy out with one magic missle ...

[edit: gah you know this already :) ...]

For CR, do you have the Dragon Mag (or CD) with "How to create a monster"? that would help.

From the Hip: CR 1, ECL/LA +2 (for really high str)

[edit: reminds of the 1/2 ogre's posted a long while back, but they had 2HD so they started out at LA+2]

Last edited:

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I just made two versions of the half-giant in my campaign -- the half-ogre and the half-troll. Both are identical to half-orcs, but their adjustments are Str +4, Dex -2, Int -2, Cha -2, and while half-ogres favor barbarians, half-trolls favor the fighter class. But then, I'm never one to get complex mechanics in the way of roleplaying. The problem is, there's just nothing particularly unique about Ogres to warrant any "special" abilities apart from what half-orcs get (it was that way in 2nd edition as well).

Geist

First Post
yes very true.

im basing my halfgiants of breeding between the giants and humans.

from my knowledge of monsters (which for me is mostly based from tolkein)

orc were twisted dark version of elves.
Trolls were twisted version of ents.
ogres well i dont know where they came from.

thus the reason for me creating a half-giant race not based off of the troll or ogre.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Yeah, Orcs were twisted Elves, Trolls were copies of Ents made from stone instead of wood, and everything else just wasn't there. Ogres and Gnomes didn't exist in Tolkien's world, and Goblins were one and the same with Orcs.

Soldarin

First Post
Type should be Giant probably.

ECL +2, CR 1

Would prefered class: BBN not be more likely? (unless these are merely the Athasian half-giants).

Make that Con 14, or make it a 2 HD race (either one won't raise the ECL, both would be pushing it close to +3), so they don't get felled so easily.

Might also make the feat Large and In Charge to reflect their combat training vs humans.

Geist

First Post
well these guys tend to usualy live amoungst humans not try to kill them.

um soldarin if you read this again any suggestions on what to change to drop their ECL down to 1?

nameless

First Post
I'm not Soldarin, but I think that simply being large and getting the corresponding attributes/reach/damage die increases costs 2 ECL. To be fair though, you could give it a small natural armor bonus, and get rid of some ability penalties and still be in the ECL+2 range. CR 1 is pretty much right on the money for this guy though.

-nameless

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads