• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New haste on WotC website!

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030429a

Haste
Transmutation
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The transmuted creatures move and act more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature's full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a weapon of speed, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can't use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)

A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.

All of the hasted creature's modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject's normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature's jumping distance as normal for increased speed.

Multiple haste effects don't stack. Haste dispels and counters slow.

Material Component: A shaving of licorice root.

(Emphasis above is mine.)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

As much as I don't like the change for pure power gaming reasons. This version is alot closer to the correct power level for a 3rd level spell. It is still a very useable spell, but not anywhere near as powerful as the original.

I definitely like the way they did movement. The movement of high level monks was insane when Haste was cast on them. Turns them into quicklings. This is a much more reasonable movement increase with a cap and no stacking.

Pax

Banned
Banned
I dislike restricting the extra attack ONLY to full attacks.

IMO, if it's only a bonus attack -- it should work constantly.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hah! I'm glad they decided to use my idea of Haste granting a bonus to attacks, AC and reflex saves. I knew it was a great idea ;)

Admittedly I gave a higher bonus, but I didn't give an extra attack, so I suppose it balances out.

For interesting unanswered questions...

1) What happens to mass haste now? Disappears I guess.

2) How does Slow work? -1 to hit, AC and Ref ST, and lose one attack off a full attack (can't be that). I wonder how?

Darklone

I like it. Especially the extra attack only on a full attack action. Otherwise charges with two hits at one enemy could get out of hand.

Bauglir

First Post
I think it's horribly underpowered in this form, for a third level spell. Were it second level I might consider memorizing it (but it would be a low priority). It's too strong for first, but is imo a decentish second level spell.

Simulacrum

First Post
Hey it looks like the WotC guys are ACTUALY readingthis board and the suggestion made here :)
I 'm happy to see they start to ADD things instead to MULTIPLY them.

Al

First Post
It's now too weak for third level. Particularly at the higher levels, when the fighter can get about four attacks anyway, having a fifth is only a very marginal increase in offensive capability. The +1 to attack, AC and Ref saves are nice, but do not bring this back up to third level, nor does the bonus to movement.

I understand that lots of people moan about the 3e haste, but this is even significantly weaker than the 2e haste (which granted double the attacks, not the +1) which was relatively uncontroversial (though this was moderated by aging- although I didn't use this, and I'm not sure how many did).

Personally, I think that a reversion to the 2e haste (without the aging!) should be on the cards. That way, it would nicely mirror Displacement: Displacement effectively doubles your defensive power; Haste effectively doubles your offensive power.

Alternately, since they want to build a defensive aspect, perhaps the movement, +2 to AC, attacks and Ref saves and an extra attack at all times?

Remove ads